Heiji direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

panda

O.G.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a 210 mm and a 240 mm Gyuto in Swedish carbon from Heiji San directly and when I wanted higher shinogi bevel I was told “ Higher bevel is not good for gyuto knife.” I said okay and let him do his own thing. Shipping was more of a issue sithey deal exclusively with EMS. Since EMS wasn’t shipping to USA it was either ship by boat and wait 4 months or pay $100 for FedEx. I paid for the FedEx and in 6-9 days they arrived. I’d do it again!👍View attachment 117077
heiji are priced pretty cheap so even with $100 in shipping still costs less than other knives.

JayGee

Reaction score
I recently ordered a deba. A little bit of back and forth. They seemed to only write emails on a Sunday. They couldn't do a deba in semi-stainless because they can't do thick knives in that steel. So I got a carbon 180. Leaving the rest to them.

Ensis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is going on with Japanese shipping costs? Heiji quoted me 175 USD to ship my knife to Canada! It doesn't make any sense, especially when most Japanese distributors/knife makers are still shipping for free. I wouldn't have minded paying extra to Heiji but not Fedex.

M1k3

Bbbbooooo!!!! Liar!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is going on with Japanese shipping costs? Heiji quoted me 175 USD to ship my knife to Canada! It doesn't make any sense, especially when most Japanese distributors/knife makers are still shipping for free. I wouldn't have minded paying extra to Heiji but not Fedex.
Either you're unlucky or he's going to hit me for more shipping.

TSF415

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either you're unlucky or he's going to hit me for more shipping.
Or he's just not going to ship it. My order was complete 2 months ago. He told me if I wanted to pay extra shipping than he would send it on a 3month cruise to me or I could pay and extra $200 to get it within the week. He suggested the best option was just to wait for EMS to start again. I'm hoping I get it for Xmas.

Ensis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or he's just not going to ship it. My order was complete 2 months ago. He told me if I wanted to pay extra shipping than he would send it on a 3month cruise to me or I could pay and extra $200 to get it within the week. He suggested the best option was just to wait for EMS to start again. I'm hoping I get it for Xmas.
That's funny. He told me the same thing about the cruise. I think he just doesn't have any relationships with other carriers so they hit him with these absurd shipping fees. Glad it's not just me :)

M1k3

Bbbbooooo!!!! Liar!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess we're in the same boat? 🤷‍♂️ I ordered 2 months ago also.

dreamwalker

Reaction score
That's funny. He told me the same thing about the cruise. I think he just doesn't have any relationships with other carriers so they hit him with these absurd shipping fees. Glad it's not just me :)
From what I has been told at couple months ago is the Japanese vendor wouldn't get discount shipping rate If they do not have the contract with any shipping courier.
and yes, the shipping rate to US without discount is around $170 and about $40-$50 if with contracted discount.

Mike

Lucien

Reaction score
Hey guys - wondering if anyone has ordered both gyuto and suji from Heiji directly? He quoted me the same price for gyuto and suji of the same length (240), but based on my experience, suji is often a bit cheaper than a gyuto of the same length?

Last edited:

dafox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried ordering a knife direct, twice, but did not get a response. Can you send a link or email address to use to order? Thanks

panda

O.G.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - wondering if anyone has ordered both gyuto and suji from Heiji directly? He quoted me the same price for gyuto and suji of the same length (240), but based on my experience, suji is often a bit cheaper than a gyuto of the same length?
suji is usually around same price as a gyuto. but heiji prices are fantastic. don't sweat it.

McMan

Reaction score
If that’s what he quoted you, that’s what it costs…
His prices are super reasonable though.

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody want to combine efforts to save on shipping? Perhaps we can get a few people to order some 240's. LMK

I'd be happy to lead the charge.

banzai_burrito

Reaction score
Anybody want to combine efforts to save on shipping? Perhaps we can get a few people to order some 240's. LMK

Sounds interesting, wonder what his price is for a 270

Hz_zzzzzz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a gyuto that Heiji has finished. Just waiting for the EMS to resume service as Fedex would cost an additional 14540 JPY. I also included 4 additional burnt chestnut handles in my order which I'm really excited about. It's really hard to get burnt chestnut handles anywhere in the US.

dafox

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can put me down for a 240 suji, standard grind, semistainless, burnt chestnut handle.

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id hate to spook him. Might make more sense to ask for a small batch of identical items.

valdim

Reaction score
Hi! I ordered a 135 mm SS petty in July 2020. Correspondence was smooth, the request for blond ferule was declined smoothly, too 😛
Begginig of Nov 2020 the knife was ready and shipped.
I am happy with the customer service. The little knife is great. Wish the shipment cost and customs taxes were less, but that's life.

Attachments

TSF415

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can get an order of 5-6 items and we can add on everyone’s orders that are stuck in Japan. I have 2 knives completed that I’d love to add on to a FedEx order.

Last edited:

pleue

Reaction score
Weird, I just had a knife ship from an eBay seller via dhl. Won on a Wednesday or something along those lines, received that Saturday. No additional fees or import costs.

knifeknight

Reaction score
Yes, that was my experience too. Bought to blades (NOS) from a japanese dealer and got them via FedEx in one week. Shipping costs were reasonable, no customs fee (unlike DHL).