Hello, I'm Paul, a British Knifemaker

Discussion in 'Show Your Work' started by Beau Nidle, Aug 21, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Aug 21, 2019 #1

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Hobbyist Craftsman

Well I decided to take the jump to hobbyist and so I'd like to start with a little about me and then we'll get straight on to the knives. I work mainly as an artist in the north east of England. I do a lot of work with movie prop replicas for collectors and costumers, very occasionally for small independent movie projects as well. I do also do more traditional artist stuff like oil paintings but I'm finding I have less and less time for that.

I love to drive, I started racing karts when I was 10 and kept going into cars into my early 20s until the reality of paying for racing started to bite a little too hard. I play guitar and violin, I'm married to a vegetarian and so we mainly cook veggie food (I'm the designated food chopper), and I like to relax with a glass of whisky, another little hobby. Less expensive than knives, but barely.

Anyway, on to the sharp things. I've been making knives for about 5 years now, just a few a year until now,. often for friends but also as commissions and sometimes just for fun, and they sell when they sell! I'll stick with showing off the kitchen knives, though I do make various outdoor ones too.

Do please ask questions, send messages, whatever, obviously I love to talk knives and anything else that I enjoy!

This is an early one, steel from Delbert Ealy, ordered by a friend.
    ealy.JPG

Another one for a friend, this was for her 30th birthday. Apparently I've ruined her for knives, as now she expects them to be sharp.
    plain_santoku.jpg

This was a custom order. The steel is from Devin Thomas, and went to a chef who asked for something similar to his Kramer, but with some changes to the profile. I feel it almost ended up as a cross between a Kramer and a more Japanese profile. He liked it though!
    random.jpg

Another one for a friend. He tried one of mine and liked the gyuto shape. Another person converted to actual sharp knives, his wife told me that the first few meals cooked were accompanied by giggling while things were being chopped and diced.
    snakewood.jpg

These last two are the most recent this first one was done just because I wanted to use some feather pattern. Turned out quite nice, definitely a favourite pattern.
    feather1.jpg

And this one was kind of a mistake. I ordered some Fireball pattern Damascus from VegasForge for myself. Well, I got it, got it mostly done and went for a test etch...oops, it's raindrop pattern. I have to say the guys at VegasForge were great and sent me some fireball at a great price to make up for the mistake. I finished it up and I'm kind of a convert to the raindrop pattern.
    raindrop1.JPG

2. Aug 21, 2019 #2
    Hello Paul. It is awesome to have another knife maker on KKF. Your work is very nice! Are you on IG or maybe have an FB group?

You also have a really wide spectrum of interests.

I am looking forward to see more of your work :)

3. Aug 21, 2019 #3

Caleb Cox

Caleb Cox

Caleb Cox

Welcome, and lovely work!

4. Aug 21, 2019 #4

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Hobbyist Craftsman

Thank you both! Matus, you can find me on IG and FB @thorntonblades.

5. Aug 21, 2019 #5
    Following :)

BTW - as a Hobbyist Craftsman you can put links yo your social media in your signature should you prefer to do so.

6. Aug 21, 2019 #6

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

Welcome to the forums. Those are really nice blades. Do you have any taper and choil shots you could share? Not for all of them, just as a sample.

7. Aug 22, 2019 #7

milkbaby

milkbaby

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus Supporting Member

Nice work! And welcome!

8. Aug 22, 2019 #8

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Hobbyist Craftsman

I only have two of those knives in hand right now, but here’s a couple of those shots. I was using my phone for them so hopefully they look ok on something bigger than a phone screen. These are both workhorse grinds.
    302098EC-B487-4DCD-A67D-218AC790C753.jpeg
    C0127BE5-AEC4-4CDB-AD35-DA772FC11901.jpeg
    D11E1BE1-4DB5-4B08-81C9-BF28B7B84554.jpeg
    2CD1B0D3-3FD4-410D-A138-0E4DCE393243.jpeg
    8DA153B2-6FD5-4707-A5D8-1BA8BD5C7703.jpeg

9. Aug 23, 2019 #9

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

Nice! Thank you!

10. Aug 23, 2019 #10

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Looking good! Welcome to the community Paul

11. Aug 23, 2019 #11

DanielC

DanielC

DanielC

Hobbyist Craftsman

Welcome Paul of Brittain!

12. Sep 1, 2019 #12

thirsty0ne

thirsty0ne

thirsty0ne

Hi Paul... will deffo check your IG Feed..
    good luck Brexit mate, hope people will put Bojo in the tower ;)

13. Sep 1, 2019 #13

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Hobbyist Craftsman

Thanks thirstyOne, I'd be happy to give him a knife so he can do the honourable thing...

Anyway, I tried a quick vid, this knife is up for sale in the hobbyist sales forum. I can't seem to get it to embed in the post so you'll have to actually click the link, sorry...

https://i.imgur.com/8J25jPu.mp4

14. Sep 2, 2019 #14

thirsty0ne

thirsty0ne

thirsty0ne

While you’re at it make one for Nigel Farrage as well please... ;)

Beau Nidle likes this.
  15. Sep 11, 2019 #15

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle

Hobbyist Craftsman

Had some new handle material delivered today. Both way too pretty for outdoor knives, I'll have to make some more kitchen knives for them. And I can probably get two handles out of that darker block.

vU7cFJ4ORDSSaxtGBaRH7w.jpg

Caleb Cox, milkbaby and M1k3 like this.