High end frying pan recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my All Clad LTD 14-inch fry pan. It cooks my bacon evenly. I did not move my bacon around. I just flipped it. This is using my Viking 6 burner range. All Clad does not make a 14-inch copper core fry pan. These were big slices of bacon when I started.
IMG_1315.jpg

Last edited:
wow. not sure i've only ever cooked 5 slices of bacon before. intersting concept!!
I have to cook the bacon. My wife uses the Microwave and I don't think it tastes as good. We don't eat 5 slices, but I was cooking for some dish as I can't remember now as it was a few weeks ago, maybe black-eyed peas. I spent a week in NAPA drinking wine since then. I use 1 slice in my breakfast taco and my wife uses a half slice.

PS
My wife said it was for BLTs so we did eat all that bacon. We had garden fresh tomatoes then. We only eat BLTs 1 time a year when we have garden fresh tomatoes otherwise it is not worth it.

Last edited:
I usually do it on a quarter sheet tray in the toaster oven or a full sheet tray in the real oven. But that 14 incher looks pretty sweet. I don't know that I have the burners to work with something that wide, but I am a fan of big pans. Besides my 12" D7, my other favorite pan is the large Darto paella. Mine is the old No 34, so about 13.5" of thick carbon steel. Having a huge stainless all clad would be fun though.

Yea, the 14-inchers are hard to find at least for me any way. I found a real nice one on eBay. I don't think they make them anymore.
To me it is a better size for me than my 12-incher copper core All Clad. If my kids or grandkids come over it just works better.

It takes me 20 minutes to heat my oven if I want to use it so bacon cooking in the oven, I don't do it. I have a full sheet pan oven. And I never need that much bacon. I can cook the bacon in less time than I can heat my oven.

And when my wife cooks bacon in the microwave it never has that nice color like frying it in a pan. Plus, the pan frying has better taste.

Last edited:
I’m a huge fan of a supplemental oven. I rarely use the one in the range but this guy is fast and efficient. It’ll up your game more than a new pot, at least according to me. Not all that much more than some of the pans we’re discussing.

Won’t take half an hour to heat up if you just want to cook bacon. Holds a jelly roll pan, great size.

https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-oven

I’m a huge fan of a supplemental oven. I rarely use the one in the range but this guy is fast and efficient. It’ll up your game more than a new pot, at least according to me. Not all that much more than some of the pans we’re discussing.

Won’t take half an hour to heat up if you just want to cook bacon. Holds a jelly roll pan, great size.

Damn. That’s nice!!

ok I have one of these and it's great and all...

but let's not get ahead of ourselves and talk folks out of new toys. that's just downright grinch-like.

Do you guys have any pictures of bacon cooked in the oven? The bacon I eat on cruise ships is not as good as I cook in my 14-inch fry All Clad pan.

Also just looking at it I think I have better convection in my Viking range. I am not interested in giving up that much counter space. I may should have bought the 48-inch Viking which has the small oven as well as a bigger one. But I didn't.

Last edited:
Do you guys have any pictures of bacon cooked in the oven? The bacon I eat on cruise ships is not as good as I cook in my 14-inch fry All Clad pan.

Also just looking at it I think I have better convection in my Viking range. I am not interested in giving up that much counter space. I may should have bought the 48-inch Viking which has the small oven as well as a bigger one. But I didn't.
I don't have any pictures right now. I'll get you a picture tomorrow.

Yeah if you have one of those superlarge ovens, a second smaller one is a must IMO. I have one of those big 90 cm stoves with one large oven, but my old seperate regular size sees far more use simply because it doesn't take half an hour to heat up.

The last time I cooked bacon in the oven regularly, there was a rosemary bush six feet across and five steps out the kitchen door. So my suggestion is to lay down some sprigs on top of foil, then lay the bacon down on that, 15–25 minutes at 325–375 or more depending.

Last edited:

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/how-to-cook-bacon-in-the-oven/
The point of the anova oven is steam, not convection. Search around a bit for alto sham or rational ovens which are high end restaurant ovens. In addition to the convenience of a smaller oven it also will basically sous vide your food without vacuum. Opens up a whole lot of possibilities

Last edited:

In my experience oven bacon doesn't curl nearly as much as pan bacon. I do 425 for about 20 minutes and it gets super crispy while staying relatively flat/consistently sized. I like as crispy and brittle as I can get it before burning.

The pan is definitely easier for a few slices but I prefer end product from the oven.

I got one of the Cuisinart air fryer/toaster ovens from Costco a while ago and it's a pretty disappointing air fryer but one hell of a toaster oven and works great as a mini convection oven. I hardly ever turn on the big oven now and just do squash cubes or potatoes in there. Huge fan of a little oven, might upgrade to something like this later.

Just about anything large that needs to go in the big oven I can just throw on the grill indirect.

horses for courses, I find oven bacon to be not to my preference.

I start in water. But I like my bacon to be a bit crispy and a bit chewy and so I also always buy really thick cut stuff.

In my experience oven bacon doesn't curl nearly as much as pan bacon. I do 425 for about 20 minutes and it gets super crispy while staying relatively flat/consistently sized. I like as crispy and brittle as I can get it before burning.

The pan is definitely easier for a few slices but I prefer end product from the oven.

agreed with this approach. discovered making bacon this way a few years ago and it's all i do now. my one tweak that i think really helps is to start the bacon on a foil lined sheet pan in a cold oven as you turn on the heat. i think it helps render the fat even more consistently.

agreed with this approach. discovered making bacon this way a few years ago and it's all i do now. my one tweak that i think really helps is to start the bacon on a foil lined sheet pan in a cold oven as you turn on the heat. i think it helps render the fat even more consistently.

This is what I do, too, and the results are uniformly good. I cook it at 350F for chewier bacon and 375 for crispier bacon; the amount of time seems to be dependent largely on how thick the bacon is. In my experience, bacon cooked in the oven is pretty much indistinguishable from pan-cooked bacon (except that you can cook more at the same time in the oven and it makes a lot less mess).

bacon.jpg

i have been eyeing a counter top oven for some time and you tipped me over the edge and i pulled the trigger on one of these.

i got the perforated pan but thats it for now…any other accessories you recommend?

Don't forget cooling racks that fit the pan. They can be used to raise food off the surface of the pan (for convection/air-frying) in addition to serving as cooling racks for baked goods and trivets for hot pans. Whenever I grill, I'll move the steak or burger or whatever to a cooling rack over a baking sheet so that the crust doesn't get ruined by steaming in the meat's juices.

i have been eyeing a counter top oven for some time and you tipped me over the edge and i pulled the trigger on one of these.

i got the perforated pan but thats it for now…any other accessories you recommend?
Congratulations! Don’t overlook the vegetable recipes when you start using it. Fish too.

First of all, get some oven cleaner, you’ll need it

I also got shallow and deep pans sized for the oven. Actually I don’t have the perforated pan.

I find this 16 x 12 size with the racks much better than quarter size for this oven. I got stainless steel so it would go into thé dishwasher without discoloration

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083FF8SCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also like this undersized roasting pan, I use it for their cabbage recipe Sa we’ll as other things . Everything in 16 x 12 size is useful. It’s pretty inexpensive but it’s fine for what I use it for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089N65N19/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Could of been pulled a minute or two earlier, but here you go.
PXL_20230825_211805868.jpg

Could of been pulled a minute or two earlier, but here you go.View attachment 264454
I am pretty critical of my bacon. I guess you don't have as good of control when cooking bacon in the oven. It looks a little dark to me but not bad.
I have been eating pan fried bacon all my life, it will be hard for me to change now as old as I am.

I am pretty critical of my bacon. I guess you don't have as good of control when cooking bacon in the oven. It looks a little dark to me but not bad.
I have been eating pan fried bacon all my life, it will be hard for me to change now as old as I am.
There's still good control, someone just didn't pull the tray a little earlier 🙄

I "discovered" plain carbon steel frying pans just before the lock down, and purchased a cheap one: 26cm in diameter Garcima to try
That was a revelation, for years I was led to believe that only teflon coated was worth it, that anything else was rubbish, but in fact it is the complete opposite
These carbon steel pans are really easy to use and clean, a pleasure to fry eggs and other things without sticking or burning
Never again will I buy a coated pan!
After this first 26cm pan, we got several de Buyer including a smaller 24cm (Mineral B) which is much thicker and spreads heat even better, then another 24cm "Paysane" much taller, a 20cm for pancakes, and a 26cm grill
We also tried cast iron pans (Le Creuset) but these are much heavier and not so convenient, also the ceramic coating requires attention, whereas carbon steel does not (you can cut in them, scratch them, it does not matter)
Now every time friends ask me about pans I recommend carbon steel, de Buyer or similar, and when they go for it they are just as happy as me

Back