How bad is this rust?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantality

Reaction score
This is my first carbon steel knife.

I bought this Masamoto KK Kasumi Usuba, used it some, and then put it back in the OEM provided wax paper wrap and didn't touch it for months. Apparently if I wasn't going to use a carbon knife for a long time, I was supposed to oil it.

My untrained eye only spotted one rust spot. I hope I'm not wrong but if I missed something it would be appreciated if you can point it out.

As for the obvious round rust spot near the ferule, how bad is this and how badly would this affect this knife going forward?

Thanks for any input.

Normally I would suggest to turn superficial rust into a patina, which is the next oxidation form, both stable and smooth. You may achieve so with phosphoric acid and abundant rinsing with hot water.
In this case, though, it's real pitting. I would indeed use sandpaper, going from the finest grit to slightly coarser, to find the finest possible grit that does work. Expect having to work the entire surface with that same grit to get an acceptable appearance. I would apply short (1/2") horizontal strokes.

I would try simichrome or a polishing paste as a potentially easier solution to the sandpaper. Apply the paste and rub at it with a paper towel, use your fingernail a bit to dig deeper. It works well for superficial rust, which this may be.
If this doesn’t work then see the suggestions above.
Keep carbon steel knives dry, and always oil them prior to long term storage. Many of us have had to learn the hard way. :)

I would try simichrome or a polishing paste as a potentially easier solution to the sandpaper. Apply the paste and rub at it with a paper towel, use your fingernail a bit to dig deeper. It works well for superficial rust, which this may be.
If this doesn’t work then see the suggestions above.
Keep carbon steel knives dry, and always oil them prior to long term storage. Many of us have had to learn the hard way. :)
Agreed. Least invasive method first. Simichrome or flitz. If that doesn’t work then BKF or baking soda slurry. If that doesn’t work then sandpaper or rust eraser.

As previously mentioned, you should try to remove superficial rust with one of the mentioned chemical rust removers. (BKF = Bar Keepers Friend)
If that doesn't remove the rust spot entirely, try a rust eraser. In most cases it should be enough.

It won't affect the knife at all going forward.

Last edited:
Is this really rust????????? Viewing something colorwise on a monitor can certainly be deceiving and entirely inaccurate. Having said tha,t I do not personally see a color. Is everyone so sure this is rust?

Is this really rust????????? Viewing something colorwise on a monitor can certainly be deceiving and entirely inaccurate. Having said tha,t I do not personally see a color. Is everyone so sure this is rust?

+1

I don't see anything I would be concerned about. Definitely seen much worse every time I see any knife I own.

Back