How many kitchen knives do you own?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 29 "forum worthy" and maybe the same amount of mixed wusthof, Vic, henckels and similar stuff.

I have just 22 J knives. Plus a Shun premier. And then a bunch of random Henckels inherited from my mom. Some no names and …lol…Cuisinarts and such…for general use by the savages that frequent my kitchen 🤣.

Last edited:
8 Japanese knives
1 Project knife
2 beaters

I've been fairly slow at collecting since my buying spree in early-mid 2021. Sold off 3 before starting this year.

Started 2020 with 2 Jknives
Started 2021 with 3 Jknives
Started 2022 with 6 JKnives

Crazy how many knives people have. I have four in regular use with a fifth incoming. Have three additional ones that I’m not using..

A bit worried I’ll end up with 50+ knives…

Oh don't worry. You don't have to end up with all those knives at all.

The trick is to sell them off on BST! 😁

Crazy how many knives people have. I have four in regular use with a fifth incoming. Have three additional ones that I’m not using..

A bit worried I’ll end up with 50+ knives…
Don't worry, be happy :D

Sujihiki und Petty vor Messerblöcken.jpg

And stop counting :cool:

We have about 35. I made 20 of them and the rest are Henkels. The Henkels are in a drawer, I think. My wife quit using them when I started making knives that were better. I think she's going to eBay the Henkels...

I'm a bit embarrassed to say....107!
107 is nothing to be embarrassed about -- we all had to start somewhere. Give it some time and you will eventually build a good-sized arsenal. You should have most of the basics covered now, and be in a good position to start adding redundancy. Maybe even start checking out custom makers. A year from now you will look back at your post and laugh.

Im curious, how many of members keep detailed information about their knife collection that they be willing to share?

I started using a spreadsheet primarily because I would forget details about the knife (such as wood type for the handle). After reading this thread I took a look at the numbers and I was surprised at what I found (excluding beaters which I don’t track).

Current collection:
Total #: 16
Avg cost: $899
Max: $1535
Min: $540
Total cost: $14.3k

Sold:
Total #: 36
Avg cost: $567
Max: $1700
Min: $115
Total cost: $20.4k

Recently I’ve made a move to reduce the overall number of knives and focus on landing/keeping what I consider the “best” of my collection or personal favorites. Not to knock overall quantity but I didn’t find joy in having knives I knew I wouldn’t reach for so I made that change. Also I don’t mean to imply you need to spend a lot of money to find a knife you love, tbh I wasn’t really aware how much I spent until looking at the numbers for this post.

Im curious, how many of members keep detailed information about their knife collection that they be willing to share?

I started using a spreadsheet primarily because I would forget details about the knife (such as wood type for the handle).

I have a spreadsheet for a similar purpose. Have not tried to sum up the cost though. That will be a task..for another day. You are a braver man than I am.

I started using a spreadsheet primarily because I would forget details about the knife (such as wood type for the handle). After reading this thread I took a look at the numbers and I was surprised at what I found (excluding beaters which I don’t track).

Current collection:
Total #: 16
Avg cost: $899
Max: $1535
Min: $540
Total cost: $14.3k

Sold:
Total #: 36
Avg cost: $567
Max: $1700
Min: $115
Total cost: $20.4k

Recently I’ve made a move to reduce the overall number of knives and focus on landing/keeping what I consider the “best” of my collection or personal favorites. Not to knock overall quantity but I didn’t find joy in having knives I knew I wouldn’t reach for so I made that change. Also I don’t mean to imply you need to spend a lot of money to find a knife you love, tbh I wasn’t really aware how much I spent until looking at the numbers for this post.

I don't have a spreadsheet, but I do keep a list of knives I own on my iPhone using the Notes app. I record info on where I got it, how much I paid, who made it, type of steel, etc. If I bought it from a commerical vendor, I also copy and paste whatever description they posted on their web site. Makes for a nice record in case I decide to sell any of them.

2 years ago I had 8, 2 years later still have around 8. Only bought for what I need at work, half in use, half for back up/replacement for the rest of lifetime.

I keep a spreadsheet tracking my acquisitions starting with a purchase just about 2 years ago, which is when this turned into more of a hobby than purely utilitarian. Hobby though it may have become, I'm not too keen in keeping any I don't actually use.

currentsold (not including shipping cost in all but 2 local deals which were local)*
tot $5207
max $656
min $81
avg $306
count 17
tot $1498
max $424
min $91
avg $214
count 7
*The numbers in the sold column also doesn't include profit/loss on what I originally paid for them. To my amazement, if it weren't for the cost of shipping it would probably total less than 200 lost, but shipping adds to that of course, they've held their value really well!

but I didn’t find joy in having knives I knew I wouldn’t reach for so I made that change
I think we have similar philosophies, at least with knives over a certain value. I've not bothered too much with some of the old junk I've had forever, although I have moved a few in local BSTs where shipping is not a cost burden. Otherwise the old stuff is just relegated to drawers, cabinets, or camping supplies, but if I'm not using a high-end expensive knife, it's gotta go so I have some cash to get something I'll use.

To my amazement, if it weren't for the cost of shipping it would probably total less than 200 lost, but shipping adds to that of course, they've held their value really well!
Thanks for opening the books and sharing the #’s. I’ve lost about 8% ($1750) of what I initially spent on the knives I’ve sold when taking into account all fees/shipping. You’ve done a helluva lot better than me on BST.

As I’ve tried to curate the collection a bit more Im hoping if I had/wanted to sell I could without taking a loss. Tbh, now that BST has slowed down drastically I try to avoid anything I don’t think I could easily sell without taking a bath on it 🛁

Thanks for opening the books and sharing the #’s. I’ve lost about 8% ($1750) of what I initially spent on the knives I’ve sold when taking into account all fees/shipping. You’ve done a helluva lot better than me on BST.

As I’ve tried to curate the collection a bit more Im hoping if I had/wanted to sell I could without taking a loss. Tbh, now that BST has slowed down drastically I try to avoid anything I don’t think I could easily sell without taking a bath on it 🛁
You're knives are a lot more valuable than mine, so shipping is at least a much smaller % of the price for you, so at least there is that. I jump for joy when I'm able to sell without dealing with UPS or the USPS. Another thing, that was pure luck and not market savvy, was just market conditions. I saw knives I bought 1 and 2 years ago were selling new for a lot more than when I bought them, commanding a much higher resale price.
I'm pretty happy with what I have right now, I use pretty much all of mine, even some of the old beaters. I have yet to bite on any custom makers' stuff. So until Takada blues come back into stock, things may stay static in my herd for a bit </famous last words>.

Close
Close to 50 and all bangers! That is truly impressive
Thanks!!

I realized that some of them are hard to figure out, so here goes left to right starting from the top

Kamon x4, raquin x4, yanick x3, Burke x4, oatley x2, catcheside x2, xerxes x2

Nguyen, DT, kipp, Billipp, straub, majime, isasmedjan, Franco, dalman, lisch, Schroeder, tighe, kato, tetsujin, jiro, tf, Takayuki, yoshimi kato, yushoku, kurosaki, takeda

Cleavers - oatley x2, Kamon, isasmedjan, halcyon, and takeda

Back