How would you reprofile this worn chef's knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The blade's roughly 235mm long (9.25 inches) by about 50mm tall with the spine being about 3mm thick at the bolster and tapering nicely down to 1mm well before the current tip.
It's still fairly flat, just all the belly's gone.
zzz9.jpg

Any thoughts other than my quick honesuki profile?

Original image to play with if need be:
zzz1.jpg

I like the middle picture with some added belly. Maybe lose 15-20mm length and add most of the belly in the first 1/2 of the blade?

The steep angle of the honesuki profile looks like it would make cutting angles kinda awkward, like draw cuts would put my elbow above my head. Depends on its’ intended use I suppose.

Cool project!

I'd probably do something like this, but I pretty much always default to removing as little metal as possible to get it performing well:
ERIK HENCKS REPROFILE.png

Basically just take that horribly oversteeled bird's beak/heel bump combi edge profile and turn it into a continuous arc with a diminishing radius, from tip to heel, then bring the spine down to meet it for a functional tip shape on a eurochef.

Seems like a waste to cut it down by that much to turn it into a honesuki. I'd try to turn it int osome kind of... slicer or filleting knife?
Could use this for inspiration... apparently some koreans are deliberately turning knives into a profile that's very close to what you already have:

The steep angle of the honesuki profile looks like it would make cutting angles kinda awkward, like draw cuts would put my elbow above my head. Depends on its’ intended use I suppose.
True dat. I could reduce the heel height and change that angle to something more comfortable.
Seems like a waste to cut it down by that much to turn it into a honesuki. I'd try to turn it into some kind of... slicer or filleting knife?
That's probably the most realistic re-profile. Thing is I already have too many slicers.
And I do like that vid you provided; I've followed him for a few years now.

Reactions: Pie
Then...Garasuki? Either way it really feels wasteful to turn something with 235mm of length into a honesuki...

Back