HSC/// is pretty damn good

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the recommendations of Mike and Stringer, I saved up and got an HSC/// in CruWear.

This is the first knife that's impressed me along 9 out of 10 axes in a long long time. It has a great grind, killer steel (especially for a kitchen knife), and a super comfy handle. Thin to win, but not so thin that it feels delicate or fussy. Nice details too; the profile was clearly tuned up - most are a little lumpy out of the box.

It's not the thinnest, it's not the most food-releasey, but if you draw one of those radial area charts, HSC/// fills nearly the whole area. It's ready for hard work, never slows you down, edge lasts forever, sharpens on an AlOx stone, just gets sh*t done. A true pleasure.

I could say more, but I'll just let the video do the talking for me. Listen for the edge-on-pepper-skin-popping sound. There isn't one. Four weeks since sharpening, still biting, never sliding. Edge check at the end is a quick compare against other knives in the active rotation I consider “sharp” for a baseline. HSC went 4 weeks of home cooking, no touch-ups, no stropping, nothing. Used for everything, plenty of citrus and pickled veg.

You can't have this one, it's mine. But there is an exact clone on BST (and others). Just saying. Plus, it's got the three little dots.

Sounds like it has a nice bite to it.

Attachments

• IMG_4889.jpeg
    IMG_4889.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I just want to join in here and let you know about my really positive experience with HSC///

I bought a knife of his via Instagram, a tall santoku/ vegetable cleaver, a shape he had not done before.
Out of the box i was not so impressed with the knife, handle and finger notch felt strange and the grind was pretty thick.
I was positively surprised when Harbeer contacted me and wanted to know if i liked the knife. After hearing i was not that happy, he offered to take the knife back and fix it according to my wishes at no additional costs (besides shipping).
He agreed that the knife should be thinner, and contributed the original thickness due to this being the first knife like that and he tried out something new.

Now that i got the knife back it’s one of my most favorite ones!
Cuts nicely with out feeling delicate!

So overall I’m really happy with the final knife and surprised by the awesome customer service!
I would recommend him!

HSC /// CPM-Cruwear mini gyuto and a 14c28n oversized Pettey (both approx 45mm high and 170-180mm in length.

IMG_0654.jpg

This was a his and hers set that me and my wife thought of for our ideal weekday cooking. both are executed amazingly.

Harbeer has been an extreme pleasure to work with and I think the results here kinda speak for themselves.

Just a few thoughts - I'm going to exclude the wifeknife because I honestly don't intend on using it :)

Re the CPM-Cruwear (harbeer's pics are much more clearer):
unnamed (1).jpg

Comfort - I think the pink ivory might be my favorite handle material now. It just feels good. its very soft and delicate. It has just the right spine thickness to make the pinch grip comfortable. the KU provides good texture to grab knife. It defiantly has one of the best hand feels... however its defined.

Performance - Grind is on point! excellent even! A nice convex towards heel but quite a bit thinner in the tip. It is a all rounder. I found it start to struggle on bigger veggies, but i don't think its an issue with the grind, but more so the size of knife. trying to cut a entire cabbage with this baby is rough, but then you'd just use a bigger knife at that point. Grind and spine thickness give you so much confidence when using this knife as a workhorse. I did microdent it somehow on third meal on pears because of overconfidence. this is very thin bte, but the steel must be very tough as it didn't just outright microchip, just a micro dent that will sharpen out quickly.

Just glided through potatos and onions, large carrot was some wedging (I tested on a tetsujin and this particular carrot wedged on that too). This provided significantly more food release than a tetsujin, but is not as much of a laser as one except maybe near the tip.

unnamed.jpg

Overall - beautiful knife for everyday use for small / quick meals. Can't wait to put it on stones soonish.

HSC /// CPM-Cruwear mini gyuto and a 14c28n oversized Pettey (both approx 45mm high and 170-180mm in length.

View attachment 310254

This was a his and hers set that me and my wife thought of for our ideal weekday cooking. both are executed amazingly.

Harbeer has been an extreme pleasure to work with and I think the results here kinda speak for themselves.

Just a few thoughts - I'm going to exclude the wifeknife because I honestly don't intend on using it :)

Re the CPM-Cruwear (harbeer's pics are much more clearer):
View attachment 310255
Comfort - I think the pink ivory might be my favorite handle material now. It just feels good. its very soft and delicate. It has just the right spine thickness to make the pinch grip comfortable. the KU provides good texture to grab knife. It defiantly has one of the best hand feels... however its defined.

Performance - Grind is on point! excellent even! A nice convex towards heel but quite a bit thinner in the tip. It is a all rounder. I found it start to struggle on bigger veggies, but i don't think its an issue with the grind, but more so the size of knife. trying to cut a entire cabbage with this baby is rough, but then you'd just use a bigger knife at that point. Grind and spine thickness give you so much confidence when using this knife as a workhorse. I did microdent it somehow on third meal on pears because of overconfidence. this is very thin bte, but the steel must be very tough as it didn't just outright microchip, just a micro dent that will sharpen out quickly.

Just glided through potatos and onions, large carrot was some wedging (I tested on a tetsujin and this particular carrot wedged on that too). This provided significantly more food release than a tetsujin, but is not as much of a laser as one except maybe near the tip.

View attachment 310256

Overall - beautiful knife for everyday use for small / quick meals. Can't wait to put it on stones soonish.
I think the only thing i would change is the 3 dots.

That is 100% my fault I asked for it :(

I just want to join in here and let you know about my really positive experience with HSC///

I bought a knife of his via Instagram, a tall santoku/ vegetable cleaver, a shape he had not done before.
Out of the box i was not so impressed with the knife, handle and finger notch felt strange and the grind was pretty thick.
I was positively surprised when Harbeer contacted me and wanted to know if i liked the knife. After hearing i was not that happy, he offered to take the knife back and fix it according to my wishes at no additional costs (besides shipping).
He agreed that the knife should be thinner, and contributed the original thickness due to this being the first knife like that and he tried out something new.

Now that i got the knife back it’s one of my most favorite ones!
Cuts nicely with out feeling delicate!

So overall I’m really happy with the final knife and surprised by the awesome customer service!
I would recommend him!
what's alarming to me is why did he send it to you with a messed up grind in first place? hoping you wouldn't notice or just didn't even check to see if it was complete like a rush job?? 'first santoku' is not a valid excuse for incomplete work.

Last edited:
what's alarming to me is why did he send it to you with a messed up grind in first place? hoping you wouldn't notice or just didn't even check to see if it was complete like a rush job?? 'first santoku' is not a valid excuse for incomplete work.
I don’t think that it was incomplete or partially finished. After getting feedback and looking at it again through a new lens, it doesn’t seem far fetched that Harbeer could see what the customer meant and felt that he could improve it. With his reputation I hardly think he was trying to pull the wool over someone’s eyes and it sounds kinda whack even suggesting that.

hello

I'd like to respond, here is the knife in question -

Apexultra knife

I wouldn't say the knife had a messed up grind nor was it incomplete.
I took a few key measurements that are important to me based on my knowledge and experience.
I think we know and can agree that subtle differences can make or break the performance of a custom handmade knife.
I produced what I thought was appropriate for the blade shape and design, it being my first of that design shape,

It wasn't the best performer for this customer, it may well have been for another customer, I don't know.
I was fortunate in that the customer was honest with me when I asked him a week or so after he received the knife. I generally reach out to every customer after a week or two and ask for feedback and comments.

I asked the customer to send the knife back and I agreed with his assessment and was happy to rework the knife for improved performance and his satisfaction.

I don't guarantee to make a perfect knife, I do however guarantee that you will be satisfied.

Sometimes how a problem is handled can be more important than the problem itself.

Harbeer

Last edited:
hello

Apexultra knife

I took a few key measurements that are important to me based on my knowledge and experience.
I think we know and can agree that subtle differences can make or break the performance of a custom handmade knife.
I produced what I thought was appropriate for the blade shape and design, it being my first of that design shape,

It wasn't the best performer for this customer, it may well have been for another customer, I don't know.
I was fortunate in that the customer was honest with me when I asked him a week or so after he received the knife. I generally reach out to every customer after a week or two and ask for feedback and comments.

I asked the customer to send the knife back and I agreed with his assessment and was happy to rework the knife for improved performance and his satisfaction.

I don't guarantee to make a perfect knife, I do however guarantee that you will be satisfied.

Harbeer
What a perfect response and exactly what I would hope to hear from a maker.

You talking about TF? 👀

hello

Apexultra knife

Sometimes how a problem is handled can be more important than the problem itself.

Harbeer
so you put out what you felt was acceptable but customer was just extra picky?
I'm just trying to see the whole picture from both sides.

You talking about TF? 👀
my custom TF was a disaster had to get it reground by someone else and it performed well after but it was still way bigger knife than I asked for lol. and just recently I find an already made one that is way better knife for half the price. my lesson from that is don't bother customs from Japanese makers.

but it's a different story getting custom from western as level of communication expectation is vastly different. the sh1tty japanese custom experience should not be that way but there is no changing that.

so you put out what you felt was acceptable but customer was just extra picky?
I'm just trying to see the whole picture from both sides.
I produced what I thought was a good functional working tool.
I don't think the customer was picky or extra picky.
I think @flow_the_pro was accurate in his post about the situation and he described the picture from his side very well. I think he helped me learn and improve and in turn he was happy with the reworked result. It was not a commissioned order, it's something I produced to try something different.

I would not call it a bad grind!
Id liked the knive to be thinner, but would have expected the knife as it was. So i was very happy with the customer service and the final product!

Now 9 months deeper into the rabbit whole i can say that in general i like knives to be thinner&flat compared to workhorse convex grinds with good food release.
so it might have been very well a perfect knife for someone else from the start. And for me only after some adjustments, that i was very happy Harbeer did.
And as already sad, this was not a commissioned work.

Of the few customs I've had, Harbeer's was the quickest, and responsive. Just my 2c.

Getting a fine tuning is a feature for me, not a bug. A perfect knife with a tune-up after an overall 3-6 month wait ain't bad. A perfect knife the first time after a year wait? Fairly expected in this hobby. A perfect knife after a year wait and a third party tune up?

Easy math.

my custom TF was a disaster had to get it reground by someone else and it performed well after but it was still way bigger knife than I asked for lol. and just recently I find an already made one that is way better knife for half the price. my lesson from that is don't bother customs from Japanese makers.

but it's a different story getting custom from western as level of communication expectation is vastly different. the sh1tty japanese custom experience should not be that way but there is no changing that.
I've bought 2 from @HSC /// Knives and would buy more.

I own (and dont plan to ever part with) Harbeer's 2nd suji. My inputs were desired steel, weight and length. I also sent a favorite suji as a "go by". Dont know if he looked at it but he nailed the knife. Very easy to work with.

It's beyond comprehension that he sent out anything other than his best work for any given knife.

Back