i dont deep-fry at home very often.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
its a RARE treat. i cant stand heating up a big vat of oil. i do use a WOK. so it is at least kinda fun.

but the oil, the disposal, the oil handling. the expense of oil these days. it is just too much for me now.

are you deep frying these days? if i want deep fried, i go to a restaurant. i cant remember the last time i made fried chicken.

We do DIY french fries occassionally, I'm using organic beef kidney fat that gets chucked out after like 6-7 months. It can stand heat quite well, whereas veg oil usually forms products you'd rather not ingest and I do not like how most veggie oil is made (extraction using petroleum derivates)

When I fry at home, I use the narrowest pan that has enough width for my use. I'll filter and save the oil to use for sauteing and whatever.

Last edited:
Air fryers work well on many things. Skin on chicken in particular, like butterflied chicken legs. Its also good for many vegetables. Cleanup is pretty easy.

I fry often ish. I usually use a wok, preferably outside but inside too, I filter and store oil. I have a jug for used oil (motor and veg) that goes to the dump 1x per year or so. A lot of fried food I don’t think people do a great job on (tempura is one, but a lot of other Japanese food which feel like restaurant after thoughts) so I like doing it vs going out. Clean up once cold is really easy if you have the right gear (I usually filter through paper in a china cap and toss the china cap in the dishwasher).

Very seldom, but I do filter and reuse oil. I also keep it in the refrigerator.
I filter my oil at home too. I just use my cone for drip coffee and coffee filters. The oil can last a long time and be used multiple times if you treat it right

Deep fried once or twice... never again for all the reasons you mentioned except cost of oil.

I fry stuff all the time. (Well, not all the time, but frequently.) I use a wok burner on the back porch with a large (30-qt or so) stock pot filled with an gallon or two of peanut oil. The oil is good for quite a few fryings, if you don't overheat it or cook stuff breaks apart in the fryer too much. I have fried using my large wok, but I find it much harder to pour the oil back into jugs from a wok.

I really don't like frying inside the house due to the smell and mess.

I loooove deep frying at home—but only tend to do it for supper parties. Here’s Hawaiian style fried chicken for 21 people last Wednesday. Once I’m done frying—oil cooled, strained, poured back into the bottle (whole bottle used for frying). Once oil seems spent, I’ll just dump it.
When doing a menu for supper parties, a fried component is often on the cards—definitely a crowd pleaser.
BF22E853-A75B-4E35-8A59-5FED1E6494DC.jpeg

5318CEBC-A882-4BD4-99B9-4F7B1D682F74.jpeg

I loooove deep frying at home—but only tend to do it for supper parties. Here’s Hawaiian style fried chicken for 21 people last Wednesday. Once I’m done frying—oil cooled, strained, poured back into the bottle (whole bottle used for frying). Once oil seems spent, I’ll just dump it.
When doing a menu for supper parties, a fried component is often on the cards—definitely a crowd pleaser.
View attachment 199412
View attachment 199413
Danggg!! that looks amazing.

I pan fried some deer cutlets. I butterflied some back strap dipped them in some egg and then flour with salt and pepper. I have cooked deer all my life but this is the first time I used a stainless-steel pan. I used my All-Clad copper cored fry pan and it worked. I normally use cast iron, but I wanted to try it.

I like Pickapeppa sauce on my deer cutlets.

PS
My oil temp did drop when I added the meat maybe more than my old thick cast iron did in the past.

Last edited:
IMO air fryers are only good at heating stuff already fried, at best they do an impression of fried food when not previously fried.
With air fryers recipes must be altered sometimes, I find wet batter simply doesn't work with them, but with Karage style thin layer of corn starch they do makes a tasty crispy treat, not as good as actually fry, but not soggy or dry.

I like air friers on brussel sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, eggplant, some chicken (wings, legs), and sometimes sausage. Vegetables are good with olive oil, salt, and pepper as a base plus whatever else you like. My air fryer is used at least as often as my oven or grill.

View attachment 199412
View attachment 199413
That what I call fried chicken. Looks soo good

I actually have a seperate deep frying machine (got it for free at some point)...and rarely ever use it. It doesn't even have oil in it right now. The amount of oil you need just feels wasteful and at the end of the day it's not particularly healthy either, and I find it too much of a bother to deal with all the oil filtering, cleanup, etc.
When it comes to potatoes, frankly a proper done oven potato is superior in taste and texture anyway IMO.
I do have to admit though that I sometimes pan-fry potatoes in an amount of fat that it's very close to deepfrying anyway. :D

We do DIY french fries occassionally, I'm using organic beef kidney fat that gets chucked out after like 6-7 months. It can stand heat quite well, whereas veg oil usually forms products you'd rather not ingest and I do not like how most veggie oil is made (extraction using petroleum derivates)
I have at times considered filling up my fryer with duck fat. The main problem is that I'd still use it so irregularly that I probably wouldn't get more than a few fryings out of it before the fat would go 'off' due to simple oxydation.
For the same reason I'm not a big fan of all the vegetable oils in fryers at all; most tend to slowly polymerize into this sticky film over time... Yuck. Although admittedly there's some differences there. Sunflower oil is horrible IMO but rice oil seems pretty decent and shows this behavior noticably less.

I rarely use the frier (cast iron wok from lodge), but when I do, I am always happy with the results. Potatoes in peanut oil.
i oven fry my french fries now.

having said, that that wok is perfect for the task. i'd use more oil, since i dont like the oil temp to drop that far when the cold food goes in...

awesome pic!!

I have convection on my Viking range oven. It there much difference in an air fryer and convection?
The principal is the same, but the air fryer heats up faster and the heat is more aggressive because of the higher air flow.

i oven fry my french fries now.

having said, that that wok is perfect for the task. i'd use more oil, since i dont like the oil temp to drop that far when the cold food goes in...

awesome pic!!
I follow the 2 fry method. Heat the oil to 300F fry 4 minutes. Remove to paper towels and heat oil to 400. Return and cook till golden. I don’t know how much the temp drops but I do know the fries come out right!

Back