I need a pepper mill

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWK1

Reaction score
My Atlas gave it up months ago. I've had it for years and I simply wore out the soft brass (I think) burrs. I've been using a similar coffee grinder I used to use. Same exact size and type of burrs. It would probably last forever if I only used coffee in it, but it's a real pain and takes forever. I bought a Pharos years ago and never touched it again until I needed a pepper mill.

The Unicorn Magnum does not seem to be available anymore. Amazon does not even bring it up on a search, and the unicorn site still says it only sells through amazon now. Oh, well.

So now we have the Mannkitchen, the Hexclad, and the Luvan pepper mills. All are aluminum, all seem similar. I have no idea how they actually compare regarding, grind control, burr quality, etc.

Anyone know anything?

There is a long thread on kkf about pepper mill faves among users. But it might be a few years old now so perhaps there are new contenders

I think it would do well if you said how much pepper you need at a time.

I've got a Peugeot for table at home and my cottage. There do have slightly different burrs in them (as they were bought some 6-7 years apart). Good for table use, but if you needs lots they are a pain.

I have this one for the kitchen, as it is easier to grind more pepper: Spice grinder Ratchet black

If I really needed a lot of ground pepper at once, I'd be looking at alternatives, but these handle my needs.

I think it would do well if you said how much pepper you need at a time.

I've got a Peugeot for table at home and my cottage. There do have slightly different burrs in them (as they were bought some 6-7 years apart). Good for table use, but if you needs lots they are a pain.

I have this one for the kitchen, as it is easier to grind more pepper: Spice grinder Ratchet black

If I really needed a lot of ground pepper at once, I'd be looking at alternatives, but these handle my needs.
I make salad dressing on a regular basis. The biggest volume need is when I make sausage. Then I need to grind 7 to 10 grams, typically. The tabletop mills are a total pain for this. I'll look into the ratchet black. Thanks.

Yeah, definitely refer to the original thread--it's going on 15 pages of pepper mills now...

For me, it's a Unicorn. Ugly. But incredibly functional. It's got a plastic cylinder that looks like a cross between a pill bottle and R2D2's second cousin
If looks are important, then one of the best designs I've seen in the looks+function category has to be the upside own pepper mills by Vic Firth. Great for the table since no pepper falls out. Multiple neat shapes too.

I've tried all three. I’d recommend Unicorn, Vic Firth, Peugeot--in that order. Unicorn has the best mechanism, easy to adjust precisely and deals with hard peppercorns easily. It is also objectively ugly--great for the kitchen as a tool, not pretty if you plan on putting it on the table. Vic Firth and Peugeot have nice mechanisms, too, but don't adjust nearly as precisely. Vic Firth also has a few upside-down pepper mills, which are designed to be put on the table grinder up to keep the table clean. Really cool design. (I don't think Vic Firth has a website for grinders any more, so you'd have to hit ebay or some such.)

I would love a Webber, but they're up to $320 now from $250 last year. I've got too many other things to buy right now. Mannkitchen is pushing it, but it looks like it's the one for me. I have found enough (or not enough, depending on how you look at it) info on the Luvan and Hexclad to decide I would rather spend the extra $70. Cry once and all that. But then there's the Iron-Mills. I wish I knew more about it and how it would compare to the Mannkitchen.

Does anyone know what happened to unicorn? I've been checking for months and can find nothing available. It won't even come up on a direct search on bezos' website. I wish I could buy one of those right now. That would serve my purposes for awhile just fine.

I like my Atlas. I tried something without a crank (I think it's an earlier version of the Webber), and did not like it, because I could not get traction with wet hands.

I agree with Jon about coffee burr grinder if you need to grind in serious quantity, as for large batches of hot and sour soup. Problem with that is you have to reserve it for pepper. I'd be wary about using the same grinder for curry spices and for pepper. I don't know, maybe it wouldn't make your hot and sour soup taste a little like curry...

Back