if you were allowed to only have 1 stone...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Synthetic stones - Shapton Pro 2000 or Shapton Glass 2000.

I like the Pro a little more, but I have the feeling that the glass makes it a little more sharp.

Oh ok. I was going to say, the 220 Super Stone sucks at actual sharpening.
I wouldn't know; it might be that you would feel the same about the aramusha. I just think I can do more with it than I can do with my finer stones.

I wouldn't know; it might be that you would feel the same about the aramusha. I just think I can do more with it than I can do with my finer stones.

If you can actually sharpen on it without using very little pressure, it's not the same stone.

My approx. 100-120 year old yellow Cotitcule ("Belgischer Brocken").

With "Nagura" sharpens like a 2-4k, without Nagura more like 6-7k. Ultra fast, nice feedback. Perfect touchup stone.

(makes a decent Kasumi, too)

Iggy

Chosera/Professional 800, or Shapton Pro 1000. Coarse enough to make something happen, fine enough to get things very sharp.

Last edited:
Norton crystolon fine. It's fast enough for chip repair but is fine enough for anything but my razor if I work on it enough and will cut any steel. Also unlike rougher water stones won't melt away when I use it

the cho 800 would be a solid choice but i’m really liking the no soak gesshin splash and go 600 lately. It’s a little narrow but I think I would go with that.

King NEO 800. Not my favorite stone that I own but I think it could cover most needs. Plus it’s huge and dishes very slowly. And splash and go!

As of now I'd say shapton pro 1k, but if I had the pro 2k I might pick that one.

Gesshin 4k. I can use the sidewalk or concrete pavers if I need thinning or major work.

Naniwa Super Stone 2k.

I used this stone exclusively to maintain my knives in a professional kitchen for many years before I discovered knife forums and better methods. I can do anything with that stone from chip repair to microbevels.

As of now I'd say shapton pro 1k, but if I had the pro 2k I might pick that one.
Got both. I'd choose the Shapton Pro 1k (aka Watanabe #2 Medium AI). Yet to fully understand the 2k and the 1k takes on anything you throw at it.

But what gives @inferno? Let's just set a trap for this evil fairy and stop this nonsense. Or we could just wait till he's either totally stuffed from grinding our stones with an Atoma... or exhausts the entire world production of new Atomas. :D

Naniwa Super Stone 2k.

I used this stone exclusively to maintain my knives in a professional kitchen for many years before I discovered knife forums and better methods. I can do anything with that stone from chip repair to microbevels.
That sounds like the Naniwa Super Stone 2k is much more versatile than I thought. Is it really that fast that you can repair chips with it?

I only know the Super Stone 5k, I always thought that all Super Stones were strong polishers.

i have a feeling the naniwa pro2k will be faster. its actually a very good stone, makes good kasumi, but its a cracker, like all of them.

the 2k stones are often forgotten. everyone want a coarse (usually 1k) and a "finishing stone" like a 5-6k. but for steels and uses this is just wasted imo. long live the 2k!

How is the pro 2k as opposed to the Chosera 3k?

I hear the pro are softer and their grit ratings are lower than the actual scratch pattern they give (which also seems to be the case with the Choseras)

which pro2k, naniwa or shapton?
the naniwa pro is the same as chosera but without holder.

the shapton pro2k is s&g, hard, fast, dish slow, no slurry, feels nice for what it is. i'd say its a true 2k.
the naniwa pro 2k is not true s&g, its quite fast, hard, dishes faster than shapton, slurries but not overly muddy or anything, but it does release abrasive, slurry breaks down and creates about 3k scratch pattern if you compare to shapton glass for instance.

That sounds like the Naniwa Super Stone 2k is much more versatile than I thought. Is it really that fast that you can repair chips with it?

I only know the Super Stone 5k, I always thought that all Super Stones were strong polishers.

It's fast enough if your knife is already set up to be very thin behind the edge. It's also much faster if you keep it clean and delgazed constantly. I do all of my touch-ups on it. For a knife without board contact like a sujihiki or a petty this might be the only stone I use for the knives entire life already.

Over the past 3 years I added a Shapton Pro 1k and in my ideal world I'd have two stones. That's my real life kit. If I had to pick one or the other I'd choose the SS. I'm in the sharpen a little every day camp so speed isn't the biggest concern. I don't really worry about fully removing chips when I get them. I just want the bevel mostly clean. If there's a chip that takes a few weeks or months to work through that's no big deal. I generally don't buy knives for work that need thinning and then I thin a little each time do speed is still pretty irrelevant. The 2k is more than enough polish to erase the contrast between iron cladding and a white/blue core. But it still feels toothy without feeling like a saw as @inferno said.

imagine this: you wake up one day and see the sink is full of mud. during the night the evil stone fairy was there and ground up all your stones on an atoma. and from now on you are only allowed to have 1 singe stone. otherwise the stone fairy comes back (and grinds away all your knives this time).

so armed with what you know now, what would you chose? also you can't cheat with sand paper, or a belt grinder or similar. no sharpening gizmos, or rods/steels either. and definitely no strops!!

obviously there will have to be some compromises :)
motivate why you chose a particular stone.
famous-diamond-creative_hope.jpg

Back