Induction cookware?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have an induction range on the way and don't need total revamp on the cookware we've got but are going to need some new pieces. I think we'll be using blue steel for the sautee, and am kind of going back and forth with what to do about sauce/saucier and stock. Anybody have induction cookware they're happy with?

For reference I cook mostly with Cuisinart sauce and stock/pasta pans, though we do have an embarrassing amount of Creuset around. Sautee is a smattering of Al-Clad, and Cuisinart currently.

I'm on induction and absolutely love the Brigade Premium line from Spring, but I'm not sure if they are available in the states. For some reason I never got friendly with carbon steel on induction, but a lot of people have, so I think that's just me..

Good post. I have a small inexpensive induction burner and it seems like most SS/NonS decent quality pans are GTG. I have the cheap all clad h1 non stick and they’re great.

However I have warped two carbons on it, so there’s that- Matfer&DeBuyers. I put them at ‘7’ or ‘8’ and it’s too hot or too concentrated. Maybe someone can chime in on this. (No I’m not dropping them in the sink hot)

I know that anything with a magnetic response will work, but not all magnets are equal. I'm kind of looking at the Anolon Nouvelle but if I'm being honest I'm unsure about the shape, it's tulipy. (not a word)

I've warped a 12 5/8 matfer carbon steel pan on an induction stove. To prevent warping I do the following:
1) Preheat the pan at medium (4-5 on my 10 point scale) until fairly warm
2) Up the heat to 7 or 8. This is usually hot enough for most things (searing meat) but when I stir fry, I up to max.

The process takes a while and the earlier you start pre-heating the better. I haven't warped anything since I started preheating in this two step process. You can also warp stainless clad aluminum with an induction stove by pre-heating poorly.

Regarding what pans to use, I find carbon steel and cast iron do not have sufficient thermal conductivity for induction. I get hot spots in a ring shape on large pans (>12 in diameter). All clad D3 and D5 is satisfactory, but there are still obvious hot spots on their 12 in skillet and 6 qt stock pot. The most even I have is demeyere 7 ply (pro, atlantis). I have a 12.5 in that is almost completely even. I have a conical saucepan that is also extremely even from them. However, like always, there's a trade off between thermal conductivity and heat capacity so the all-clad pans are not purely replacable by the demeyere pans.

We have a thread about high end cookware where we discuss a lot of this stuff. I think someone recommended a copper core pan that is induction safe.
LINK

It sounds (and clearly I'm just speculating) like some induction coils have enough power to heat a pan so quickly that they actually "outrun" the thermal [insert technically correct word here] of the pan - i.e. the bottom surface gets very hot before the sides have even heard that the stove was on. :) That would make sense of the process described by @rmrf - waiting for the heat levels in the pan to even out, and then being safe to proceed.

Last edited:
I've warped a 12 5/8 matfer carbon steel pan on an induction stove. To prevent warping I do the following:
1) Preheat the pan at medium (4-5 on my 10 point scale) until fairly warm
2) Up the heat to 7 or 8. This is usually hot enough for most things (searing meat) but when I stir fry, I up to max.

The process takes a while and the earlier you start pre-heating the better. I haven't warped anything since I started preheating in this two step process. You can also warp stainless clad aluminum with an induction stove by pre-heating poorly.

Regarding what pans to use, I find carbon steel and cast iron do not have sufficient thermal conductivity for induction. I get hot spots in a ring shape on large pans (>12 in diameter). All clad D3 and D5 is satisfactory, but there are still obvious hot spots on their 12 in skillet and 6 qt stock pot. The most even I have is demeyere 7 ply (pro, atlantis). I have a 12.5 in that is almost completely even. I have a conical saucepan that is also extremely even from them. However, like always, there's a trade off between thermal conductivity and heat capacity so the all-clad pans are not purely replacable by the demeyere pans.

We have a thread about high end cookware where we discuss a lot of this stuff. I think someone recommended a copper core pan that is induction safe.
LINK

While this isn't untrue - hotspots are definitely possible, there are ways to allow for that. Carbon and cast on induction can lead to some hotspots, but the way around that is to let them get hot. They will even out with some extra time, at least to some extent. The same thing is true even with gas on those kinds of pans. They are not there for instant response.

Bumping this one for more thoughts. My electric range went downhill big time over the past two months, so I ordered an induction range last night.

I need to replace a stock pot, saucepan (2.5-3qt) and 8/9” skillet for eggs. Thoughts?

the stock pot will be almost exclusively for pasta water, so it feels like this can be a cheap one. Same for egg skillet.

For the saucepan, I think I’ll want more consistent/even heating.

Bumping this one for more thoughts. My electric range went downhill big time over the past two months, so I ordered an induction range last night.

I need to replace a stock pot, saucepan (2.5-3qt) and 8/9” skillet for eggs. Thoughts?

the stock pot will be almost exclusively for pasta water, so it feels like this can be a cheap one. Same for egg skillet.

For the saucepan, I think I’ll want more consistent/even heating.

I don't have induction but this is what it reads on the inside of a Made In stainless pan box. The quality of these pans is very good.

tMq2rEQ.jpg

Latest posts

Back