Is KKF the global kitchen knife forum superpower?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quite enjoy reading through KMS (German forum listed above). They often have very different takes than what we see dominantly here. For one, they tend to prefer highly refined, usually jig-sharpened, edges as compared to the talk of teeth and hand sharpening here. Another good resource, but I do think the info base here is a little deeper and broader though. Generally speaking the same makers are talked about there as here.

I wonder if forums are a worldwide thing, now that I think about it.

Possibly favourites could depend on local cuisine/ingredients? Chinese forum must just be dominated by CCK discussion.

Good lunch break pondering.

@ethompson Im happy I didn’t end up in the jig camp, but they might be cheaper than some of the crack I mean stones we buy 🤣

This forum is very much influenced by professional chefs, I find this a great benefit. Is KMS the same? From a very superficial observation, I think it is not, but my feeling is baseless.

I wonder if forums are a worldwide thing, now that I think about it.

Possibly favourites could depend on local cuisine/ingredients? Chinese forum must just be dominated by CCK discussion.

Good lunch break pondering.

@ethompson Im happy I didn’t end up in the jig camp, but they might be cheaper than some of the crack I mean stones we buy 🤣
I feel like Chinese forum is probably fixated a lot on Japanese knives. I see a lot of Chinese Youtubers (or the Chinese version of it) have Japanese knives, and quite a few Chinese shops that carry high end Japanese knives. I assume if they have a forum, it's huge.

I'm also curious about Japanese forums.

I've seen couple Chinese wechat groups, mostly Japanese knives, the knife related Tieba (Chinese equivalent to reddit) are pretty chaotic and mostly domestic knives. Yu Kurosaki and some other Echizen knives are pretty popular, Sanjo stuff is not as popular as here. There's also some focus on domestic makers, both factories and individuals, one guy I know is Xinguo who does more modern steel like M390 and RWL34, but he's working on some aogami knives, or at least that's what I heard last time. I almost bought one m390 gyuto but then the whole Shanghai just shut down and **** hit the fan.
Here's some video of his knives.

Well we spent 4 or 5 figures on cutting onions, not the most exciting bunch I’d say.
Someone has a strong sense of objectivity!

Thank you for the insight on the Chinese metagame. I do wonder if there’s any lingering resentment from the war that still has an effect on how they view Japanese knives. I do know some of the older generation still has pretty strong opinions.

Cool stuff!

Someone has a strong sense of objectivity!

Thank you for the insight on the Chinese metagame. I do wonder if there’s any lingering resentment from the war that still has an effect on how they view Japanese knives. I do know some of the older generation still has pretty strong opinions.

Cool stuff!
I know Japanese media is very popular among young Chinese. One of the largest markets, although piracy is very common

Reactions: Pie
I've seen couple Chinese wechat groups, mostly Japanese knives, the knife related Tieba (Chinese equivalent to reddit) are pretty chaotic and mostly domestic knives. Yu Kurosaki and some other Echizen knives are pretty popular, Sanjo stuff is not as popular as here. There's also some focus on domestic makers, both factories and individuals, one guy I know is Xinguo who does more modern steel like M390 and RWL34, but he's working on some aogami knives, or at least that's what I heard last time. I almost bought one m390 gyuto but then the whole Shanghai just shut down and **** hit the fan.
Here's some video of his knives.

Very cool!

Back