Kikuichi Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Any Kikuichi knife owners here? I was unfamiliar with the brand until today when I visited a culinary supply store that sells only Kikuichi knives. I took a mental inventory of their offerings, held a few and seems like they're solid knives. As an example, a 210 White#2 Gyuto with a Kurouchi finish goes for $360. So yea, just wondering if they're worth the price.

Thanks,
SliceNDice

Have not owned Kikuichi but I have seen that brand in hands of many sushi chefs/helpers over the years. That they are common according to what I have seen, I think it is fair to think they are worthwhile tools. Prices are another matter, and for me and my $360... I think there are many other compelling alternatives. YMMV

Hi All,

Any Kikuichi knife owners here? I was unfamiliar with the brand until today when I visited a culinary supply store that sells only Kikuichi knives. I took a mental inventory of their offerings, held a few and seems like they're solid knives. As an example, a 210 White#2 Gyuto with a Kurouchi finish goes for $360. So yea, just wondering if they're worth the price.

Thanks,
SliceNDice

I had a 210 semi-stainless gyuto. Excellent knife. Very nice fit and finish. I would have kept it but 210 is not a good size for me. They have not been a flavor of the month for a long time but they're still a classic in my book. It's very common to see their cheaper offerings in pro kitchens. I've sharpened, maintained, and fixed many of them over the years. The chrysanthemum still brings a smile to my face when I see one.

Thank you both for your honest opinions! Might bring one home with my on my next visit. They did have a less expensive line with western handles. I did notice the chrysanthemum. Take care!

I have a stainless Kikuich Santoku. I have many much more expensive knives but use this one frequently when I'm afraid of damaging a more expensive or delicate knife. It's tough and 30 seconds of exposure to a tomato doesn't stain the finish and I manage to sharpen it reasonably well even though my sharpening skills are somewhere south of mediocre.

Kikuichi used to be super popular around here, particularly the TKC (I assume the semi stainless @stringer was talking about) now i believe the current TKC is AUS10 and has been much less appealing to the forum.

(Edit: after @Qapla's post, I realized it was Akifusa A type was the one that went to AUS-10, not the TKC)

I recently picked up an Ichimonji TKC direct for pretty cheap (They say proprietary semi stainless, but i imagine could also be AUS10 for all i know), and has been a solid basic gyuto for me. Though i havnt put it through all that much product. Likely wont be a showstopper in aesthetics nor performance, but for a sturdy western gyuto, it has been pretty choice.

Last edited:
I have owned and used probably 10 different kikuichi knifes over the years in a professional setting and find them to be great daily drivers and retain thier edges really well. I belive I've owned knifes from 4 different lines that they produce and have been happy with all of them. A good tip if your in the market is going to thier website amd looking at the seconds section (I think it's called something different) they sell. Knifes with minor scratches and cosmetic blemishes at a big discount. I currently own 3 and they still get put into the rotation. If you have any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them via this feed or directly.

Cheers, Joe

Does anyone here have experience with the Kikuichi SEM, and how it might compare to a Kanehide TK?

Does anyone here have experience with the Kikuichi SEM, and how it might compare to a Kanehide TK?

After seeing your post, I realized I was thinking Akifusa A-type.

I believe they are the same knife finished by different houses. I thought that Ichimonji was was OEM.

Kikuichi used to be super popular around here, particularly the TKC (I assume the semi stainless @stringer was talking about) now i believe the current TKC is AUS10 and has been much less appealing to the forum.

(Edit: after @Qapla's post, I realized it was Akifusa A type was the one that went to AUS-10, not the TKC)

I recently picked up an Ichimonji TKC direct for pretty cheap (They say proprietary semi stainless, but i imagine could also be AUS10 for all i know), and has been a solid basic gyuto for me. Though i havnt put it through all that much product. Likely wont be a showstopper in aesthetics nor performance, but for a sturdy western gyuto, it has been pretty choice.

The Kikuichi Molybdenum is listed as AUS-10.

https://kikuichi.net/collections/gm-series-molybdenum-stainless-steel

@dafox is a kikuichi fan. He might have an opinion
They are very similar, I’ve had them both and the TKC, have 3 of the Kanehide now, sold or returned the others. The TKC 210 was too small the 240 too big, the SEM didn't have very good f+f and I think a poor distal taper (also pricey), the Kanehide is just right, one of my most used knives. (Heard about them from Stringer).

Last edited:
I've had a Kikuichi ginsan 240mm gyuto for over 10 years as one of my first Japanese knives. I still enjoy using it periodically even as my collection has grown substantially. It was a very solid daily performer for me in a professional setting...I appreciate its low maintenance in a fast-paced kitchen, keeps an edge with extended use and sharpens up fairly quickly. Also, very good f&f, balance, and profile (even if preferring just a bit more blade height). It's something of a classic Japanese gyuto.

I have no idea, however, if Kikuichi still makes blades in ginsan steel.

Back