KitchenKnifeForums: A Boulevard of Broken BST

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not sure about the contradiction. The first is about what price might appeal to professionals. The other is about the economics about being a knife maker and scaling. Is there any specific point in which the contradiction lies?

The first article argues that knives from makers are too expensive, while the second is also an effective argument to say why knives are not expensive enough. If the author had actually done the research, it would be clear that the reason why some professional knife makers knives are so expensive is too address all the concerns made in the second article (and I base this on details read here in the forum). I've had a knife maker expressly say to me that they have stopped "working cheap" to explain a price increase.

There is a difference between research as used colloquially and research as in what my work is. If I were to complain every time someone used the words “research” and “theory” incorrectly (from my professional point of view) I would have time for nothing else. It would also be silly of me to reject an argument just because these words are used colloquially.

I had quite a bit of discussions with Marine over the years about knife making as a business, and I helped with some of the data in that article. My opinion is that it’s not a search of content that drove the discussions. It was a genuine interest in learning more about knife making as a business. For me it also led to actual research. The data is collected and I hope to write a paper about it. If I can find the time and a suitable co-author that can help.

While there may have been a general desire for true interest, writing an article while overlooking or not even acknowledging points in an article that they just wrote a few months before (as in the two noted), to me seems of just trying to generate content as the random reader may only see the one article. In contrast, look at the way Larrin develops and back-references his old info on Knife Steel Nerds

Btw, what's up with you being banned, @Forty Ounce? Did that actually happen at some point? I certainly don't remember tons of ma_sha detractors being banned like the article insinuates. ma_sha controversy was the best controversy. I miss him.

And ya, obviously the article is self promoting cherry picking click bait, and any accurate parts of it have been discussed to death on (for example) the Flipper Alert thread.

The first article argues that knives from makers are too expensive, while the second is also an effective argument to say why knives are not expensive enough. If the author had actually done the research, it would be clear that the reason why some professional knife makers knives are so expensive is too address all the concerns made in the second article (and I base this on details read here in the forum). I've had a knife maker expressly say to me that they have stopped "working cheap" to explain a price increase.

While there may have been a general desire for true interest, writing an article while overlooking or not even acknowledging points in an article that they just wrote a few months before (as in the two noted), to me seems of just trying to generate content as the random reader may only see the one article. In contrast, look at the way Larrin develops and back-references his old info on Knife Steel Nerds
Isn’t it that the knives are too expensive for a certain audience that’s being argued in the first article? And that knives are not expensive enough for makers to make a living in the second? That might be a paradox of knife making, but not a contradiction.

Don’t mean this to be rude. I’m not understand the second point.

This became a Dumpster fire of a thread just like the “r/chefknives needs to return” thread.

Bunch of former Reddit mods who come and start a circle jerk at kkf because they couldn’t maintain their own sub anymore.

They can do no wrong in each others eyes and have zero interest in being unbiased or ACTUALLY productive.
They act like they fail to see how this article was ridiculous and how the points have hardly been discussed, and only the article itself is being discussed.

This became a Dumpster fire of a thread just like the “r/chefknives needs to return” thread.

Bunch of former Reddit mods who come and start a circle jerk at kkf because they couldn’t maintain their own sub anymore.

They can do no wrong in each others eyes and have zero interest in being unbiased or ACTUALLY productive.
They act like they fail to see how this article was ridiculous and how the points have hardly been discussed, and only the article itself is being discussed.
Hurr durr Reddit mods hurr durr.

most of the people youre throwing **** at have been here longer than you so by all means launch yourself into space.

I take part in this discussion for my own reasons. Insinuating that I’m doing it to protect Marine, or that he needs my protection is asinine. Is it really that difficult to imagine that someone is interested in discussing a certain topic?
Sure, but as someone who really wasn't feeling too strongly about things I just find the vibe rather weird.
as opposed to what, us all participating in a dog pile on someone who isnt here to defend himself?

this is why I posted the laughing **** when someone suggested it was the tone not the message.
If anything it feels like the dog pile came here. And the 'guy who isnt here to defend himself' chose not to be here... and make a stink about this place elsewhere.

It's not like he's banned, he's more than welcome to contribute. Heck he'd be more than welcome to write the original piece here. As I said I agree with plenty of his points, but I think the general tone and sentiment is just unfair and frankly insulting.
Read whatever I wrote in longer posts in the first few pages for the long version of that.

I think it's a bit silly to complain about how the KKF community is responding here when the original blog post is anything but fair, balanced or constructive. If you have your tv a bit too loud and your neighbour decides to take a giant dump in your mailbox, that's not realy a fruitful way to start a conversation about the volume level.

I think it's a bit silly to complain about how the KKF community is responding here when the original blog post is anything but fair, balanced or constructive. If you have your tv a bit too loud and your neighbour decides to take a giant dump in your mailbox, that's not realy a fruitful way to start a conversation.

well you think wrong.

Im talking to the people who are actually here about how theyre acting. Which is a good deal more appropriate than the inverse.

You lot are free to work yourself into a frenzy, maybe it's a bit of fun. But as per usual, if you're gonna do something you are not owed support. If you believe what you're doing is fine then my criticism should roll off like water on a duck.

Isn’t it that the knives are too expensive for a certain audience that’s being argued in the first article? And that knives are not expensive enough for makers to make a living in the second? That might be a paradox of knife making, but not a contradiction.

A paradox, by definition, is a contradiction. To generalize the point: "Knives are not expensive enough" and then "Knives are too expensive (for these people)" is contradicting statements (even if the second aims at only one group).

Don’t mean this to be rude. I’m not understand the second point.

I was going to elaborate more, but then I re-read the first article (second published titled "Why are knifemakers pricing their work beyond the means of professional cooks?") a few times and I've gotten far too infuriated with the lack of perspective in it to help with fixing it to be better. One article drives context for the other which complete ignores it.

Im talking to the people who are actually here about how theyre acting. Which is a good deal more appropriate than the inverse.

You lot are free to work yourself into a frenzy....
Although I don't really feel like your criticism applies to me a whole lot because I think my own posts were a pretty neutral and fair reaction on the merits... I struggle to see how it's unfair to respond to the writings of someone who isn't here when he put himsef in that position by writing about 'us'.
Especialy when he has an account here and is quite welcome to have the conversation here. 🤷‍♂️

Like I said, I'm not opposed to having the debate, and I would probably agree with him, I just don't think this is a constructive way to start the debate. And though I don't like to speak for others I can imagine similar sentiments play with others.

No need to use fancy words, 'toxic prick' will suffice...

Although I don't really feel like your criticism applies to me a whole lot because I think my own posts were a pretty neutral and fair reaction on the merits... I struggle to see how it's unfair to respond to the writings of someone who isn't here when he put himsef in that position by writing about 'us'.
Especialy when he has an account here and is quite welcome to have the conversation here. 🤷‍♂️

Like I said, I'm not opposed to having the debate, and I would probably agree with him, I just don't think this is a constructive way to start the debate. And though I don't like to speak for others I can imagine similar sentiments play with others.

Fair I guess. Also I'm not that tight, just folks around here have a tendency to be real sensitive about being told no.

It is just my general position that dog piling on someone isnt great, and two wrongs dont make a right.

As per "the debate" and the tonality of such things, I simply don't believe that. How many people patiently tried to correct eric in the you-know-what thread? Did he stop? LMAO no he just went even more into it and he was hardly the only one, just the most obvious. The premise that people here would be more receptive if it worded differently is magical thinking IMO, unless we take working it differently to mean "saying something completely different"

Fair I guess. Also I'm not that tight, just folks around here have a tendency to be real sensitive about being told no.

It is just my general position that dog piling on someone isnt great, and two wrongs dont make a right.

As per "the debate" and the tonality of such things, I simply don't believe that. How many people patiently tried to correct eric in the you-know-what thread? Did he stop? LMAO no he just went even more into it and he was hardly the only one, just the most obvious. The premise that people here would be more receptive if it worded differently is magical thinking IMO, unless we take working it differently to mean "saying something completely different"
I do agree 2 wrongs don't make a right.... and just devolving into mudslinging isn't helpful to anyone. But I'm not sure I have much of a sentiment for or against dogpiling, as long as people are making sensible arguments instead of just throwing around emotions. Like I said before it mostly felt like the dogpile came here... ;)

Though I agree 'more debate doesn't necessarily lead to results', I think in this case it genuinely would have been different since...as all the discussions in previous threads showed, quite a few people would actually agree with some of his points. Some of his suggestions are far from controversial and something plenty of people here have asked for as well. No idea if the results would be better, but at least the discussion would have been.

I can see so many people are happy to be with their families for Thanksgiving [/s]
I actually have an excuse: it's an American exclusive holiday. Maybe Canadians do it too?
I'm already getting mildly annoyed by all the cooking channels in my YT subscriptions doing all these damn turkey and thanksgiving specials...

I actually have an excuse: it's an American exclusive holiday. Maybe Canadians do it too?
I'm already getting mildly annoyed by all the cooking channels in my YT subscriptions doing all these damn turkey and thanksgiving specials...

Our Thanksgiving is in October. I'm only paying attention to the turkey stuff as I'm hosting Christmas

Mod Post:

Gentlemen, is it so hard to have a discussion without driving the automatic filter nuts? I would hate to see the forum engine to run out of **** so please tone it down or just have a little break if it winds you up too much. What is the point to get all worked up about an opinion on KKF some else wrote on their blog?

I have only removed one [EDIT: two] post for obvious reasons. I would very much appreciate if that could remain all moderating necessary. Thank you

Last edited:
Mod Post:

Gentlemen, is it so hard to have a discussion without driving the automatic filter nuts? I would hate to see the forum engine to run out of **** so please tone it down or just have a little break if it winds you up too much. What is the point to get all worked out about an opinion on KKF some else wrote on their blog?

I have only removed one [EDIT: two] post for obvious reasons. I would very much appreciate if that could remain all moderating necessary. Thank you
They don't pay you enough. Ohhh wait....

New Rule

In the spirit of All Are Mazaki; if you don’t know someone’s name, they’re Alex.

If you don’t like it, tell it to the judge, Alex.
Tell me you didn't get the Jeopardy reference without telling me you didn't get the Jeopardy reference.

Back