KKF Massdrop IV - 田中義一 🇯🇵

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buckling Spring reporting in. Would love a wrought iron Mazaki version 🙏

IMG_4834.jpg
🙏

You guys this knife won’t leave my head. I just remembered Miyazaki kajiya used to do wrought iron, but recently it’s all been stainless clad 🙁

Ok - so more info - since the smith is a Japanese master, and the wrought was unavailable in Japan, we had to team up with someone in the US with connections in Japan and also access to world class wrought iron

So now, the wrought is being sourced from the UK from the top wrought provider - already shipped and received in Japan

This is becoming a truly global effort to build a unique one of a kind knife for KKF

We have a smith from Japan, wrought from the UK and a WH profile you are u likely to find in Japan

Because Japanese smiths do not work with wrought, and many are unfamiliar with it, there was only 1 master smith who had the skills, but more importantly, the interest in taking on this challenge and creating something

But this means each knife will be hand forge welded meticulously

This will be an artistically made knife for KKF with British wrought and a WH profile with blue 1 as the core steel

Oh, one more thing, handles by jobone

NKW will reveal the smith shortly, and also our US based partner in crime with access to UK wrought and Japanese smiths…

More to come

If this wasn't clear enough: the knives are not from Shihan.
he's a fine smith but pls stop guessing shihan
it's a japanese smith ffs
Ok - so more info - since the smith is a Japanese master, and the wrought was unavailable in Japan, we had to team up with someone in the US with connections in Japan and also access to world class wrought iron

So now, the wrought is being sourced from the UK from the top wrought provider - already shipped and received in Japan

This is becoming a truly global effort to build a unique one of a kind knife for KKF

We have a smith from Japan, wrought from the UK and a WH profile you are u likely to find in Japan

Because Japanese smiths do not work with wrought, and many are unfamiliar with it, there was only 1 master smith who had the skills, but more importantly, the interest in taking on this challenge and creating something

But this means each knife will be hand forge welded meticulously

This will be an artistically made knife for KKF with British wrought and a WH profile with blue 1 as the core steel

Oh, one more thing, handles by jobone

NKW will reveal the smith shortly, and also our US based partner in crime with access to UK wrought and Japanese smiths…

More to come

If this wasn't clear enough: the knives are not from Shihan.
he's a fine smith but pls stop guessing shihan
it's a japanese smith ffs
So what you’re saying is Shihan is supervising and brokering a deal for Will Catcheside to send wrought iron from the UK to Kisuke Manaka for in house forge welded workhorse gyuto in blue1 which he already works with?

catcheside or Pendergast getting involved in illicit wrought smuggling now? And I’m lost on the smith, every knife I’ve seen come out of japan in my short journey has been classified as soft iron or pure iron clad, never wrought. 🧐

Edit to avoid cluttering things up: yasha yukawa? Definitely does thicker knives, and works with tamahagane which I presume would give some degree of comfort with wrought cladding

Last edited:
Both Yoshikazu Tanaka and Tsukasa regularly forge with rentetsu, but considering Tsukasa’s lead time, I’ll guess Tanaka.

Back