KKF Massdrop IV - 田中義一 🇯🇵

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the process is different in Japan, but wouldn’t you expect Tanaka to forge all the knives in one batch then ship them off to Myojin who would then sharpen them all similarly but perhaps not start the batch for a bit? I mean, this is the usual production process for everything else ever.

That knife is not the massdrop. Pics of the massdrop sample were already posted and it's blue 1, not vintage Swedish steel and the cladding is modern wrought, not vintage wrought. Mark (knife.knackery) is a big collector and pretty well connected and lives in Japan so he is able to buy these special one off pieces. It definitely costed way more than 800 bucks.

That knife is not the massdrop. Pics of the massdrop sample were already posted and it's blue 1, not vintage Swedish steel and the cladding is modern wrought, not vintage wrought. Mark (knife.knackery) is a big collector and pretty well connected and lives in Japan so he is able to buy these special one off pieces. It definitely costed way more than 800 bucks.
Am very jelly of him. Very lucky to have 2 vintage carbons from Tanaka but having them clad in wrought...hnggg

Am I the only one who thinks the rentetsu ones look pretty different from our drop? More busy, contrasty, 'staticky' appearance vs the cloudier, more subtle appearance of the massdrop sample ones on the last page. Maybe I'm overstating the distinction but I think our massketeers landed on something that stands out even as more wrought-type claddings are showing up in Japanese knives.

Am I the only one who thinks the rentetsu ones look pretty different from our drop? More busy, contrasty, 'staticky' appearance vs the cloudier, more subtle appearance of the massdrop sample ones on the last page. Maybe I'm overstating the distinction but I think our massketeers landed on something that stands out even as more wrought-type claddings are showing up in Japanese knives.
I agree. I like the Massdrop more.

Back