Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 270 tetsujins have quite a different feel in hand than the 240s do. The extra weight from the increase in length is pretty noticeable. Goes from feeling like a whisper of a knife at 240 to much more sturdy at 270. Heavier than some other 270s I have.

Attachments

• 20230611_191145.jpg
    20230611_191145.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230611_191211.jpg
    20230611_191211.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230611_191354_02.jpg
    IMG_20230611_191354_02.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230611_191354_01.jpg
    IMG_20230611_191354_01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Might be high time for me to snag a Dark Hardt case. Is the Edge Slim good?
The portfolio case is my preferred format for knife transport (vs a roll or drumstick bag). The design, materials, and construction of the Edge Slim are faultless. The magnets definitely give a high degree of extra security — zero movement during transit.

It’s a splurge for sure, but if you can stomach the price point, I don’t know of a sleeker off-the-shelf knife case.

My standard (non-XL) model is just long enough for a 260mm edge length gyuto (HF) in a cork lined edge guard. If you need to carry, say, a true 270+ suji, you’ll probably need a XL. The center pocket will be larger in the XL too, which is a bonus. However, I do quite like the portability of the non-XL model’s proportions.

The portfolio case is my preferred format for knife transport (vs a roll or drumstick bag). The design, materials, and construction of the Edge Slim are faultless. The magnets definitely give a high degree of extra security — zero movement during transit.

It’s a splurge for sure, but if you can stomach the price point, I don’t know of a sleeker off-the-shelf knife case.

My standard (non-XL) model is just long enough for a 260mm edge length gyuto (HF) in a cork lined edge guard. If you need to carry, say, a true 270+ suji, you’ll probably need a XL. The center pocket will be larger in the XL too, which is a bonus. However, I do quite like the portability of the non-XL model’s proportions.
Excellent response. I was unlucky to not have seen a KKF listing for one not too long ago but the sales make it tempting. Might go for the non-XL since it fits to the drawers better, if I recall. Most of the inhabitants won't be longer than 240mm gyutos/k-tips.

Gonna pair it with Shi-han cork guards too!

Excellent response. I was unlucky to not have seen a KKF listing for one not too long ago but the sales make it tempting. Might go for the non-XL since it fits to the drawers better, if I recall. Most of the inhabitants won't be longer than 240mm gyutos/k-tips.

Gonna pair it with Shi-han cork guards too!
🙏 Yeah, the CAD/USD exchange rate made that most recent BST listing a really good deal.

I think Shi.Han cork guards are the ideal pairing. The one thing I’ll say against the Edge Slim is that it’s a bit on the heavy side with the all-leather and rigid backing construction. If all the knives are in sayas, I’m not sure if the weight of the overall package makes sense for how many knives you’re carrying. But the Shi.Han edge guards are so nice and light.

The 270 tetsujins have quite a different feel in hand than the 240s do. The extra weight from the increase in length is pretty noticeable. Goes from feeling like a whisper of a knife at 240 to much more sturdy at 270. Heavier than some other 270s I have.
Well now I want a 270 :mad:

what's the wabisabi usually like on those Morihei Hisamoto TFs? better than your average TF or about the same?

I have the 270 “thick”. Wabi-sabi wasn’t too bad. Couple of shallow low spots on the wide bevels. Edge bevel is uneven like on most TFs. Profile is good. Handle is on the OK side for an TF, nothing egregious although I can only speak for mine. Only problem is it needs a lot of work to get the steel to really shine because of how thick the cross sectional geometry is. The non-“thick” versions are a lot thinner at the shinogi so you can get a more acute edge on them more easily. For the “thick” variant, you have to not only thin BTE, but raise the shoulders/shinogi a good amount, especially if you want it to be an all around type of knife. Weight does a lot of the work when cutting though, like a cleaver. I’ve gotten mine to “good, not great” level for my tastes. Needs another couple rounds of raising the shinogi.

If anyone has their heart set on an iron clad Takeda, an update from Shosui via FB

We completely stopped making of steel cladding AS knives now.
Those are our last stocks forged,grinding,quenched and tempered 2 years ago.
Mainly 33 pieces of AS Gyuto medium and totally about 40 knives.
We started finishing of those today.
We will ship all to shefknivestogo maybe in this month.

Can't speak for others but I got the new hisamoto as nakiri, great f&f and it is one of the best cutter i've used. Hope they make it in gyuto so i can swoop another 🙏

Back