Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We a basically caring for Mother Natures wellbeing, with all the wrought slapped on core steel 😂

Raffles are IMO fine when it's a free thing to decide who gets to buy it. What I don't like are the 'lottery schemes' where you pay X amount of money in the hopes of winning a knife or getting nothing.

Raffles are IMO fine when it's a free thing to decide who gets to buy it. What I don't like are the 'lottery schemes' where you pay X amount of money in the hopes of winning a knife or getting nothing.
In the UK we call that a Tombola. Horrible idea when sold this way by the maker or a traditional retailer.

There's a weird paradox in how acquiring the most desirable knives requires having the spare time of an unemployed homebody, combined with the disposable income of people who normally don't have spare time.

Raffle sux. Ultimate punishment for active collectors.
There seems to be 2 types of raffles.
1. You buy entries and might get a knife for cheap with the rest of the ticket buyers sponsoring the purchase.
2. Buyer is chosen at random and pays full price for the knife.

Which of these or both are you against and why? Raffles are more fair to everyone if that is the goal. They "punish" both people that are willing to spend more money and people willing to spend more time.

I prefer when the seller posts on insta and releases them within 15 min. If you follow the seller you're rewarded.
I think you've answered my questions, so you fall in the camp of more time. It is not just following the seller, you have to also have the free time to react and buy at any given time of the day. This rewards people with a lot of free time. This scenario really punishes anyone that can't be online constantly. Personally I think raffles, lotteries are the only fair way to sell desirable low volume knives. Assuming fairness should even be one of the goals, but it seems some makers are very concerned with being fair.

I am a sucker for raffles in which you can pick up an expensive knife for a small(ish) amount, as long as the total haul of tickets sold is relative to the actual value of the knife. It is why lotteries reach over a billion dollars.

On the other hand, I agree that, without the lottery process for the right to buy, I have very little shot at clicking buy fast enough on drops for it to even be worth my while. For the reasons listed above, the average person has a significant disadvantage to others.

There seems to be 2 types of raffles.
1. You buy entries and might get a knife for cheap with the rest of the ticket buyers sponsoring the purchase.
2. Buyer is chosen at random and pays full price for the knife.

Which of these or both are you against and why? Raffles are more fair to everyone if that is the goal. They "punish" both people that are willing to spend more money and people willing to spend more time.
I'm open to both. I just like the idea of a raffle. It keeps it fair, it's not the first person that clicks. I actually am a big fan of the way Milan does it (at least with his custom slots specifically) where you get on the list and then each time he increases your chances if you haven't been picked.

Edit: I also think the lottery (both 1 and 2) gives everyone a chance not get it even if you are not in the timezone, or you work odd hours, or you just don't want to be up at 1am to try and get a chance at a knife (if you don't want to)

I'm open to both. I just like the idea of a raffle. It keeps it fair, it's not the first person that clicks. I actually am a big fan of the way Milan does it (at least with his custom slots specifically) where you get on the list and then each time he increases your chances if you haven't been picked.
Milan is such an awesome guy and really tries hard to make it fair for all of his customers. I have so much respect for him and can’t wait for my name to be pulled (hopefully!)

Question of the day. If someone wins the lottery with an $X ticket purchase and then immediately sells it for retail or above would they be considered a flipper?

Question of the day. If someone wins the lottery with an $X ticket purchase and then immediately sells it for retail or above would they be considered a flipper?
No. You paid to take the risk, you won. The knife price is still at least what all the purchased tickets sum up to.

I actually am a big fan of the way Milan does it (at least with his custom slots specifically) where you get on the list and then each time he increases your chances if you haven't been picked.
The only problem is that seniority doesn't mean much in the end. Since more and more people join it doesn't matter how long you have been on his list. Your chances are getting slimmer with every new draw. It doesn't really matter if your chances are 1% or 0.4%.
I like that he gives new guys a chance to acquire his work though.
Also the last raffle of his Cleaver and Suji had over 100 people entered, you can be sure there were some second accounts in it.

Back