Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. His keyaki/enju/burn chestnut with horn hilt are way better looking and with only half the price tag
Ya but there's definitely an audience for gaudy-looking handle like this.

He has had 2 really nice 180mm gyuto with Western keyaki handles on one of the other Special sections as well. I think those are super unique, but unfortunately they're really expensive for what they are

he probably can start by taking custom orders, i asked him to make me a pair of KU and he refused. Either he doesn’t need the money or he doesn’t forge the knife?

Could be he's just busy. I respect that he makes knives the way he wants to make them. And recognize that a lot of people are lined up to buy them the way he wants to make them. When I wanted a suji at 285mm he had no problem making it a bit longer (and charging me for same). When I asked that it be KU, he declined.

Bernal has 40% off Ohishi.
240 Ginsanko is normally $223 so becomes $134 after the discount.
That's a craaaaaazy price. These are nice knives even at full price. Maker's uncertain; I've heard yoshikane is involved but Bernal has them listed as "made by Hokiyama". Anyway, not sure of OEM but deal nonetheless.

Last edited:
Could be he's just busy. I respect that he makes knives the way he wants to make them. And recognize that a lot of people are lined up to buy them the way he wants to make them. When I wanted a suji at 285mm he had no problem making it a bit longer (and charging me for same). When I asked that it be KU, he declined.

if he’s busy, he can just say so and propose a waiting list or any other option like all the knife maker did?
And I don’t ask him to do a weird stuff, he already has the KU suji on the special list, i just need a KU gyuto to pair with it and he refused saying he doesn’t make anymore KU. then he offers me the polished ss clad version and explain that it is the result from polishing the KU version but why he can’t just leave the KU be and sell it to me?

I'm just curious as to why "anybody" prefers the KU finish over a polished finish? It seems most knife makers charge more for the polished version since it takes more work so why do it unless the customers want it that way?

I'm just curious as to why "anybody" prefers the KU finish over a polished finish? It seems most knife makers charge more for the polished version since it takes more work so why do it unless the customers want it that way?
Looks, no?

It is just a matter of preference, like some people like to wear jeans, some people like to wear shorts. Nothing’s wrong, just a bit of personal tastes.
Ps: I don’t like shiny polished looking stainless. It doesn’t look the same anymore once you start using it, it will look more like your stainless spoons (with lots of scratch mark on it)

Looks and ease of maintenance. KU is already rustic/ ugly so I couldn't care less if I happen to scratch it up during sharpening, and even then it probably wouldn't show.

Its whats called Rustic. The Kato Ku is the same, although the grind is great. Adds character IMO

I got a 210 Kato Workhorse from JNS a few years back and then recently got a 240 Kato KU and it just feels different. I always wonder how much of the grind is done prior to heat treat and how much is done during the final grind? I haven't taken the calibers to the Kato KU yet but I wonder if I have the same kind of grind that I have in my older Workhorse?

KU can look good, eg Kochi. I seem to be in the minority, but I hate the look of Wat and Heiji KU, for instance, especially Wat. Also it makes it harder to **** with the grind, so no KU for me, thank you. Also, thick KU like Kochi can feel rough against the knuckles in a fast chop.

isn't it known that ku katos are poor cutters? theyre just even more rare so they go for stupid prices.
Yeah. For evidence just look at @japaneseknivesandstones video on line. The crack of the carrot could be heard all the way in Los Angeles. From Amsterdam. With house music playing.

Yeah. For evidence just look at @japaneseknivesandstones video on line. The crack of the carrot could be heard all the way in Los Angeles. From Amsterdam. With house music playing.
Grind has changed. Newer versions are taller and ground thinner.

I got a 210 Kato Workhorse from JNS a few years back and then recently got a 240 Kato KU and it just feels different. I always wonder how much of the grind is done prior to heat treat and how much is done during the final grind? I haven't taken the calibers to the Kato KU yet but I wonder if I have the same kind of grind that I have in my older Workhorse?
Its worth comparing the specs of the current 210WH Ku with the older one here. Totally different animals.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/kato-ku-workhorse-gyuto-210mm.42832/

Looks like kns going to have a new stock of ks according to james’s IG!

Back