Knives spotted in the wild: celebrity chef edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's an opinion, not a fact. See e.g. this post on the OED blog, the MW entry for they, the Dictionary.com entry for they, the Wikipedia entry, or google "singular they" for a bunch of other references.

in addition to the immense history of singular they, the phrase "he or she"/"his or her" sounds incredibly dumb and awkward.

I also dont think it got in the way of anyone understanding what was trying to be said

I think that's an opinion, not a fact. See e.g. this post on the OED blog, the MW entry for they, the Dictionary.com entry for they, the Wikipedia entry, or google "singular they" for a bunch of other references.

that just means that people have been making this mistake since 1375 or earlier!

sincerely,
"singular they" denier
:)

that just means that people have been making this mistake since 1375 or earlier!

sincerely,
"singular they" denier
:)

Curious: if someone says "Damn, that cashier was rude to me!" do you say

1) "What did he or she do?"
3) "What did they do?"
4) "What did he do?"
5) "I avoid pronouns at all costs. What did the cashier do?"

Or maybe you say "What did that f'er do?".... guess that's legit.

Heh die knives, only grammar shall remain!

Curious: if someone says "Damn, that cashier was rude to me!" do you say

1) "What did he or she do?"
3) "What did they do?"
4) "What did he do?"
5) "I avoid pronouns at all costs. What did the cashier do?"

Or maybe you say "What did that f'er do?".... guess that's legit.

Heh die knives, only grammar shall remain!

ok, actual serious answer:

imo, it's a matter of style.

i use singular they when speaking or writing informally, but i cringe hard when i see it in formal writing.

i am also in love with serial commas, but i'm not one of those people that thinks their use necessarily eliminates ambiguity. it is (unfortunately) possible to produce examples where serial commas introduce ambiguity. imo, the actual problems arise when they are inconsistently employed in a document or publication. i think style guides are important.

i would personally prefer creation and mass adoption of a modern language that goes through an RFC-like process and has a published spec. i think i am alone in this dream.

another "cool thing" would be a low-level language that blog-slaves and journalist-demons write in. a simplified code that produces distilled, unambiguous meaning.

1650567732718.png

it would be cranked out at 300 WPM on simplified claviers (pictured above) in hell.

mind you, normal people cannot read it.

this linguistic source code would then be compiled in-browser into the reader's desired language. also, there would be dynamic, AI-boosted toggles for things like pronouns, tone, serial commas, politically-affiliated idiom, etc.

"everybody wins!"

good thing i'm not in charge.

Last edited:
i use singular they when speaking or writing informally, but i cringe hard when i see it in formal writing.

then what is your suggestion for an indefinitely gendered singular pronoun in formal writing?

IMO formal writing actually has a greater need for such a thing than informal language, where the listener has some expectation of decoding things.

they is a ready made solution with a long historical presence, plus it's terse and natural for modern speakers/writers.

then what is your suggestion for an indefinitely gendered singular pronoun in formal writing?

imo, it unfortunately doesn't exist in english. i try my best to write my way around this limitation.

imo, it unfortunately doesn't exist in english. i try my best to write my way around this limitation.

as someone who reads a lot of formal writing, usually journal articles, pre-prints, etc. Im used to people just making stuff up because we need some sort of term for a situation.

using they as an approximation for a deficiency in the language doesnt seem like a big deal to me 🤷‍♂️

I think "he or she" is a far greater offense anyway; English is rarely a beautiful language but we dont have to go around making things worse for no reason

as someone who reads a lot of formal writing, usually journal articles, pre-prints, etc. Im used to people just making stuff up because we need some sort of term for a situation.

using they as an approximation for a deficiency in the language doesnt seem like a big deal to me 🤷‍♂️

I think "he or she" is a far greater offense anyway; English is rarely a beautiful language but we dont have to go around making things worse for no reason

i understand, respect, and disagree with your position.

I think Misen is dece? What I like about Misen is that they talk about secondary bevel angles, HRC and other important parts on their pages/blog. Pretty transparent with their product they say their HRC is ~58 which is more than your usual german knives/victorinox.

Another thing I like about their webpage is that they tell you indirectly not to get a knife block that one quality chefs knife is enough which is a nice thing to hear imo.

Also you can return the knife within 60 days for no reason if you simply just don't like it. Which is convenient.
Except last time someone test their knife the HT is all over the place.
https://www.wired.com/2016/10/review-misen-chefs-knife/

Short for Old Dirty Carbon. Basically a term used for most vintage western Carbon steel blades’ mystery steel.
Ah, yes I have a few knives of indeterminate steel… ODC it is then. 😊
and I did smile at that valuation too..

Maybe not exactly celebrity chefs, but I happened to walk by someone watching top chef and it seemed like there were a lot of japanese knives being repped, I know I saw a takamura R2

I think last season when Gregory Gourdet came back for a special challenge he used a Kurosaki with a turquoise ferrule. Maybe a fujin R2 nakiri or bunka.

Dale Talde’s Catch in NYC is one of my favorite restaurants on the planet. Seeing him using a Misen just hurt my soul.

If you can watch iron chef showdown, ep 3 Simon says, there's some very very serious knives used by both chef's. Chef Nagahara uses an ebony handled mirror polished gyuto, that looks like either honyaki or powdersteel

Back