Knives spotted in the wild: celebrity chef edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like this line Akifusa
Nice ID! They look suspiciously like someone is welding a bolster onto a Kohetsu Blue #2 blade (they go by a few other names).

I only have a link that will be obfuscated but it's at CKTG if you want to reconstruct it - https://www.**************.com/konabl2.html (or click Kohetsu Blue #2 Nashiji)

I have had a couple and they are outstanding blades and great value. They're what I usually buy for someone getting interested in good kitchen knives.

Nice ID! They look suspiciously like someone is welding a bolster onto a Kohetsu Blue #2 blade (they go by a few other names).

I only have a link that will be obfuscated but it's at CKTG if you want to reconstruct it - https://www.**************.com/konabl2.html (or click Kohetsu Blue #2 Nashiji)

I have had a couple and they are outstanding blades and great value. They're what I usually buy for someone getting interested in good kitchen knives.
It's the other way around; that Kohetsu line is rebadged Tadafusa.

I was watching Spirited Away and noticed a what is clearly a Denka cleaver. ;)

Not sure if TF was inspired by Studio Ghibli, or the other way around.

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 11.34.37 AM.png

The inimitable Matty Matheson just dropped a new chicken chili vid featuring an Ashi chuka bocho. Stainless model (got the dot). Maybe a Gesshin? Couldn't see the reverse side. Better ask the man himself: @JBroida

Ashi-Cleaver2.png

Ashi-Cleaver1.png
He has so many cool knives including a real Kramer, yet a lot of his video in recent memory have some production knife. Maybe a made-in? I don’t get it because I don’t think he acknowledges the brand so I would assume it’s not sponsored content.

He has so many cool knives including a real Kramer, yet a lot of his video in recent memory have some production knife. Maybe a made-in? I don’t get it because I don’t think he acknowledges the brand so I would assume it’s not sponsored content.
Yeah I feel like i've seen the kramer make guest appearances here and there, didn't know it was a real one instead of a zkramer. Back in the day with Just a Dash his daily driver seemed to be a Nenohi Nenox 270 with white corian handle. Recently there's been a lot of misens on set, guess you gotta pay the bills 😭

Yeah I feel like i've seen the kramer make guest appearances here and there, didn't know it was a real one instead of a zkramer. Back in the day with Just a Dash his daily driver seemed to be a Nenohi Nenox 270 with white corian handle. Recently there's been a lot of misens on set, guess you gotta pay the bills 😭
Ah yes, Misen, not Made In.

He had a zKramer that was in a lot of videos from his old studio. He raffled it off for charity and Bob made him a new knife.

Start around 6:44

Kanji Lopez-Aalto has a large collection of not particularly interesting knives (to me anyway). It feels odd that he’d choose to collect a pile of fairly mainstream knives, like say collecting sweaters from Macy’s or something.

These Are My Knives | The Food Lab
I am the same for the most part ..... My most expensive knife is around 200 bucks .... Just because it is isn't fancy or expensive doesn't mean it isn't good. All of his knives listed are super solid, proven performers with a lot of bang for the buck. There is a lot to be said for that.

I am the same for the most part ..... My most expensive knife is around 200 bucks .... Just because it is isn't fancy or expensive doesn't mean it isn't good. All of his knives listed are super solid, proven performers with a lot of bang for the buck. There is a lot to be said for that.
Yeah, but a collection of Toyota Camry's don't bring as much wow and visual interest as a collection of Pagani's and Lambo's.

Knives don’t have to be fancy or expensive to be interesting from my perspective or many of those on this forum. There are tons of interesting knives for under $200, and that’s the price range I actually started in. My Wakui nakiri I got for $150 is one of my best cutters and people frequently recommend Takamura and others for under $200. I told my sister to buy a Takamura VG10 for $80 for her son last Christmas, in fact.

But I personally don’t find Wusthof or Global to be particularly interesting or worth calling out as part of a “collection”. I readily admit that many people love them, and as you said they are solid performers for their intended purpose and audience (I will debate “bang for the buck” though). I still have a block set of Wusthofs myself. However the audience for this particular enthusiast forum isn’t really the right group to be waxing rhapsodic about Wusthof and Global.

If you use knives as tools, in a utilitarian way, fancy, handmade stuff is besides the point, especially if you beat on them and sharpen them all the time.

Yeah, but a collection of Toyota Camry's don't bring as much wow and visual interest as a collection of Pagani's and Lambo's.
True..... But not everyone cares about wow factor and impressing other people. I never have and never will. I am very utilitarian in my wants and needs, and I am ok with that. Kenji is very much the same way

True..... But not everyone cares about wow factor and impressing other people. I never have and never will. I am very utilitarian in my wants and needs, and I am ok with that. Kenji is very much the same way
Oh I don't mean impressing others, it's purely for myself, I simply enjoy good craftsmanship.

Fancy or expensive knives can be utilitarian too, the two qualities don't necessarily exclude each other. The popularity of workhorse knives (affordable and expensive) on this forum can attest to that.

I like fancy knives as much as the next guy. There is something about a well made knife I really enjoy. But I also respect the view that these are just cutting tools. The best food in the world, even at the most exclusive starred restaurants, is made with knives many here would consider pedestrian.

Y'all should check out The Brothers Sun. Excellent modern kung fu series on Netflix with Michelle Yeoh. I'm not savvy enough to get screenshots but there is a pretty badass 300 gyuto vs 180 petty knife fight in the first episode.
Great show

Back