Knives spotted in the wild: celebrity chef edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I double-rock chop with all my knives, it’s really not particularly harmful to the knife.

With a delicate edge there’s just a few things to be careful of - the biggest one is not to twist the knife inadvertently or unconsciously in either the food or on the board.

The other big thing is not to cut hard things at an angle. An example is cutting the root stem off a large unpeeled garlic clove. The skin is tough and the clove is sitting at an angle to the edge when cutting straight down.

And I guess the final thing is listen to your instincts on how tough something is. When in doubt, grab your old Wusthof. I use an old cheapo cleaver a few times a year for stuff like chopping chocolate blocks, splitting lobsters, and chopping up crab.

I think you should follow your whims and get that Takamura.

I won't use the knife to cut hard foods or foods with bones. I have some other cheaper knives for it, but I don't have any Wusthof.
Maybe the biggest problem could be twist the knife inadvertently on the board due to I don't have good cutting technique.

They aren't any more delicate than other knives that are thin behind the edge. They can be a little microchippy straight out of the box because of how low an angle they sharpen them at, but put your own normal angle microbevel on it and the chippiness goes away. Everyone knife enthusiast should own at least one Takamura. Follow your whims. In the grand scheme of things, they are cheap (in price, not quality).

Putting my normal microbevel... I think my sharpening skill is not good enough for this kind of knives. I will scratch the blade for sure.
Takamura is not expensive compared to other brands, but for me is quite expensive compared to the knives I have, so it would be an special knife for me.

The issue with something like a Takamura is that while it might not actually be delicate / fragile, it still feels like it. It feels a bit flimsy, almost toylike. Not everyone likes that in a knife.
The narrow spine also isn't ideal for ergonomics when pinchgripping, and the handle is a bit on the small & skinny side. In all ways it's a bit like a 'light-version of a gyuto'.
Other than that, cutting performance is stellar, especially when considering the price. I second Heckel's recommendation to just put a microbevel on it straight away.
I think I understand that you say. Due to the slim blade the feeling is flimsy.
What respect to the handle, I think I would not have problem because I don't have big hands and I don't like bulky handles.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and recommendations. I have already purchase the knife on meesterslijpers, so I am waiting for the arrival.

Recent Joshua Weissman video, not sure what it is.

1680458461795.png

1680458488514.png

Cool new video by America's Test Kitchen. Knives are around 1:04, but not sure what they are

I double-rock chop with all my knives, it’s really not particularly harmful to the knife.

With a delicate edge there’s just a few things to be careful of - the biggest one is not to twist the knife inadvertently or unconsciously in either the food or on the board.

The other big thing is not to cut hard things at an angle. An example is cutting the root stem off a large unpeeled garlic clove. The skin is tough and the clove is sitting at an angle to the edge when cutting straight down.

And I guess the final thing is listen to your instincts on how tough something is. When in doubt, grab your old Wusthof. I use an old cheapo cleaver a few times a year for stuff like chopping chocolate blocks, splitting lobsters, and chopping up crab.

I think you should follow your whims and get that Takamura.

They aren't any more delicate than other knives that are thin behind the edge. They can be a little microchippy straight out of the box because of how low an angle they sharpen them at, but put your own normal angle microbevel on it and the chippiness goes away. Everyone knife enthusiast should own at least one Takamura. Follow your whims. In the grand scheme of things, they are cheap (in price, not quality).

The issue with something like a Takamura is that while it might not actually be delicate / fragile, it still feels like it. It feels a bit flimsy, almost toylike. Not everyone likes that in a knife.
The narrow spine also isn't ideal for ergonomics when pinchgripping, and the handle is a bit on the small & skinny side. In all ways it's a bit like a 'light-version of a gyuto'.
Other than that, cutting performance is stellar, especially when considering the price. I second Heckel's recommendation to just put a microbevel on it straight away.

I have already the knife in my hands. I hope to be able to use it correctly and take care of it.
IMG_20230404_115615367_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230404_115639460.jpg

Last edited:
Back