Le Fanal - a Michelin star experience

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kind of silly...
San Francisco has a population of under 900,000 and 53 restaurants that are at least Bib Gourmand.
I can walk to 17 within a mile of my home in Japantown.
This doesn't even include Oakland, wine country or the tech cities in the South Bay.
San Francisco totals:
3 Star: 3
2 Star: 7
1 Star: 21
Bib Gourmand: 22
https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/ca...2-stars-michelin/1-star-michelin/bib-gourmandView attachment 160140

SF and NYC were the first two cities with Michelin ratings in the States, and much of the ratings crawl starts there.

I have never had food like that. It looks interesting. I guess I am just a Texas hick.

I have never had food like that. It looks interesting. I guess I am just a Texas hick.
It is interesting and an experience. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like to have more approachable foods like bbq meats and tex mex or an in-and-out cheeseburger.

The Advertisiing phrase tex-mex I see often around here in the south and of course the food is nothing like tex-mex

It is interesting and an experience. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like to have more approachable foods like bbq meats and tex mex or an in-and-out cheeseburger.

The Advertisiing phrase tex-mex I see often around here in the south and of course the food is nothing like tex-mex
Any puffy tacos?

Martin Berasategui. It was amazing. He was also actually there and cooking which was cool; came out and met everyone about 2/3rds of the way through.

jj3ObOF.jpg

fnUsAmq.jpg

Rgpg8PT.jpg

84pOcxl.jpg

tRAXcZj.jpg

HPTRzqU.jpg

FQtetAp.jpg

vlkIjNy.jpg

R3Ng46H.jpg

nzKlgMi.jpg

Interesting that you have been to MB. I was thinking about going there (and some other places), too as a birthday present for my wife. But flight connections made it unattractive so that i opted for another city where we hopefully will have some nice food.

Funny having found this thread as we have become fans of fine dining in recent years. The more we cook at home, and the more comfortable we feel to try out new techniques, the more we want to get spoiled with levels of cooking, that we probably will never achieve.
I agree that it is mostly worth to have dinners at such places. Before i tried, i always thought that i have to wear suit and tie at such places, but this is not the case. At least not where i have been so far. In fact it can be quite casual at such restaurants and i appreciate that it is not about the way you dress, but how you enjoy the food.
My first one star was long time ago, with a long time i haven't been at another, but as mentioned above, when we started to cook and upgrade our kitchen skills, we wanted more when going out. So today, when we go on vacations, we try to combine with some nice restaurants that sometimes need to be booked well in advance. Last year we finally had our first 3* and where overwhelmed. But i have to say that the step from 2* to 3* can be quite small and the prices paid at 3* maybe worth it for all what is behind such an experience, but i find myself best served in 1* and some 2*, i have to say.

They generally pick different regions. San Francisco and surrounding wine and tech cities and New York are usually on it. Los Angeles has been left out for awhile. Vegas pops up from time to time. They generally skip over the middle of the U.S. except for maybe like Chicago.

In my opinion, Michelin Guide is a mix of politics and merit based decisions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide
I agree. Sometimes it's good to know that not every restaurant not listed wouldn`t get a recognition. For example in Austria Michelin skipped all restaurants not located in one of the major cities. There are a few restaurants in rural areas, that had stars, and simply didn't get them anymore due to this policy.
For sure there are more similar examples.

We've been to a 2* (Nathan Outlaw's before he closed and reopened it under a different name and ethos) and a 3* (Martin Berasategui) but never a 1*.

A place near us:

https://www.meadowsweetholt.com/
got a star recently and looks really good so are probably going to give that a go soon.

The wife really wants to go to Core by Clare Smyth so am going to try and book that for her birthday.

If I could pick any restaurant in the UK to go to it would probably be L'Enclume, but I don't think it'd be up her street.

We've been to a 2* (Nathan Outlaw's before he closed and reopened it under a different name and ethos) and a 3* (Martin Berasategui) but never a 1*.

A place near us:

https://www.meadowsweetholt.com/
got a star recently and looks really good so are probably going to give that a go soon.

The wife really wants to go to Core by Clare Smyth so am going to try and book that for her birthday.

If I could pick any restaurant in the UK to go to it would probably be L'Enclume, but I don't think it'd be up her street.
I like restaurants that stick to certain principles like seasonality and sustainability. L'Enclume was on my list already before it got awarded 3*, but now it will be even harder to get a place there. In the Uk there are quite a few restaurants that i have on my bucket list for the next visits, like Ikoyi, Aimsir or Benares (whereof i already tried to cook one of his dishes)

We flew into Biarritz and booked a taxi transfer to San Sebastian. We'd normally have got the bus but it was our honeymoon so splashed out.

Other option was to fly into Bilbao and bus to San Sebastian. We did a day trip to Bilbao on the bus and it was very straightforward.

On top of the ladder, there’s Gilles Goujon’s “auberge du vieux puits“ in nearby Fontjoncouse.
He‘s not only a 3* michelin chief, he’s also a MOF (best of France)

That cheese table!

One of my main take aways from my first Michelin experience was that no one ever told me how drunk you'll get from a wine menu at a Michelin restaurant.

"No way i am gonna toss or leave anything from a 30-50$ glass of wine.." times 8.

Also the food was good :)

That cheese table!

One of my main take aways from my first Michelin experience was that no one ever told me how drunk you'll get from a wine menu at a Michelin restaurant.

"No way i am gonna toss or leave anything from a 30-50$ glass of wine.." times 8.

Well, not always funny when some drunk people sit at the table next to you. Had a similar experience where they really got loud and making fun of the food... Not funny at all.
Sometimes i wonder how people don't get drunk after 6 or more glasses of wine. Self-discipline or alcoholics...

That cheese table!

Not Michelin starred, but we went to Benedict's (Home :: Benedicts Restaurant) which is near us when Tom Kerridge was guest chef. It was eight courses, alternating between courses done by Benedict's and courses by Tom Kerridge.

It was great but it came with a wine flight (we don't drink much alcohol at all usually).

Full-size glass of wine with every course, and they were topping up the glasses. We got absolutely wasted.

After trying for months, I've finally got a table at Core by Clare Smyth for my wife's birthday.

Seems to be just about the hottest place in the country at the moment so I can't wait.

I looked up a list of Michelin star restaurants in the US. They are all in California, D.C., Illinois, and New York? What's the game with that? It is implausible that there is no exemplary fine dining in other States. The wealth in Jackson Hole would likely require it.
Yes you are absolutely right on ..! Michelin only goes where there is money . I have worked in Michelin star kitchen in NYC,DC I spent 15 years in Philadelphia and 10 at Le Bec Fin ..! He had every award possible but Michelin never came to Philadelphia yet it was 225 $ dollars per person with out tip tax and drinks 🍹..!! Smh 🤦‍♂️ I don’t understand why other then politicians reasoned ..!!

SF and NYC were the first two cities with Michelin ratings in the States, and much of the ratings crawl starts there.
Yes absolutely spot on ! I can’t agree with you more . I have worked in many Michelin star kitchen over the last 30 years + .

I’m going to San Francisco on the 18th of this month till February 3 .
I am going out to see friends and family. So of them work in Michelin star kitchen. I have reservations at:
Altier Crenn 3* 27th friend work here
Benu 3* 24th friends work here
Quince 3 21 th all in January 2023

I’m super stoked and I tried many times to get into the French laundry but no dice 🎲 like some said on the thread ..!! If you don’t get on line at 10 am sharp sold out at 10:05 ..!
It’s a lot like trying to get knifes from ToshO on the drop with Bots 🤖..!! Lmao 😂

Try flying into Bordeaux and get a rental car. Bordeaux is a very nice city as well.
Last year i did not go, but this year, i decided to go to Basque country with direct flights. Have everything arranged with reservations for Azurmendi and Azark. Had two or three more restaurants in mind, but timewise had to pick only two of the selected. Really happy to go there, as it was on my plans already.

Yes you are absolutely right on ..! Michelin only goes where there is money . I have worked in Michelin star kitchen in NYC,DC I spent 15 years in Philadelphia and 10 at Le Bec Fin ..! He had every award possible but Michelin never came to Philadelphia yet it was 225 $ dollars per person with out tip tax and drinks 🍹..!! Smh 🤦‍♂️ I don’t understand why other then politicians reasoned ..!!
Apart of politics, perhaps the reason can be found in the history of the Guide Michelin. When it started in the early 20th century, it was a useful guide to find good places to rest and have some food. It was made for those who travelled and along time it focussed more and more on the tourist hotspots. But that's just my 2 pence...

Latest posts

Back