Lightening strikes in a cutting board.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how someone arrived at that number, is there is a national database of death by electricity and if so is it that granular?

Why risk it. There are enough harmful substances we involuntarily come into contact with without creating our own......

According to 3M "epoxy resins have been shown to contain carcinogenic, mutagenic and reprotoxic chemicals (CMR substances) that can be dangerous to the people who work with them. They contain chemicals that have inherent properties that can cause cancer, alter DNA or damage reproductive systems. For example, the isocyanate hardeners in polyurethane resins are suspected of causing cancer (CMR category 2)."
Ok, R&D chemist / maker here. Yes all epoxy monomers are carcinogenic. Handling them and the proper ppe aka nitrile gloves, are very easy. Atleast these things are low VOC. Once fully cured many epoxies are considered food safe by the fda.

Gas stoves are probably more dangerous.

Just a general note on this or other usages of high voltage: Past a certain point, electricity acts in a significantly different manner than it does within the voltage range 99% of people are used to. Even if you're accustomed to and comfortable working with electricity and the common components of the residential power grid, you can very easily make a potentially deadly mistake in a high voltage setup by acting in the same manner as one would with "normal" voltage.

Just a general note on this or other usages of high voltage: Past a certain point, electricity acts in a significantly different manner than it does within the voltage range 99% of people are used to. Even if you're accustomed to and comfortable working with electricity and the common components of the residential power grid, you can very easily make a potentially deadly mistake in a high voltage setup by acting in the same manner as one would with "normal" voltage.
+1 on that, the don't try this at home aplies to this one for sure!
In fact IMO there a couple of milestones/thresholds from 40V upwards, I personally have not ventured beyond 2KV but I'm sure there are a few milestones beyond that too

+1 on that, the don't try this at home aplies to this one for sure!
In fact IMO there a couple of milestones/thresholds from 40V upwards, I personally have not ventured beyond 2KV but I'm sure there are a few milestones beyond that too
Gets real wild when you're dealing with power transmission, but yeah even a few kV means you have to evaluate a lot more about everything involved before proceeding.

Apparently one way to produce the extreme voltages necessary for this is to take apart a microwave.
I thought the usual method - which generates 1.21 gigawatts of electricity—is to connect your Delorean to a clock tower when it gets hit by lightning. That works for time travel so I assume it would work for this purpose.

I visited a friend in San Diego. first thing I noticed was his cutting board. Just a Boos Block, but it’s been modified. He said his neighbor put some electrodes in it and sent electrical current thru it. He then filled the gaps with a blue colored epoxy filler.

It’s a total trip.

Just wanted I show you. It looks like lightening strikes. View attachment 229518
Cool process as you described, but TBH the pattern on light colored wood really reminds my of varicose veins.

Back