Lookin’ for a stainless “workhorse”

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chang

Gay for Gyutos
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Head chef hit me up to help him find a knife.

Needs to be:

Stainless
Western Handle
$200-$300 Budget
“Workhorse” Grind (not super important but would prefer it)

Normally I’d just tell him to grab a Takamura, but I’m pretty sure he’ll just chip it one week in, and I’m a wa handle guy so this has got me stumped.

How about the Konosuke HD2 western 240 that is on sale for $250 at CKTG? I have that knife. It's not a workhorse but it's not a laser either. 2.4 mm spine, subtle convex grind, not too thick behind the edge but not too thin, too. The steel seems pretty tough to me.

I am a big fan of the Gesshin Kagero. It is srs15, stainless and holds an edge for a very long time. I have the 240 in wa handle and it is my full-time prep knife. The 210 western handle is in stock right now at $280. It isnt a workhorse but it is a sturdy middle weight.

When you say workhorse, do you mean a heavier knife, or just a knife that will take a beating and survive?

When you say workhorse, do you mean a heavier knife, or just a knife that will take a beating and survive?

Kind of both? He’s a heavy handed chef, so a thicker grind will definitely help, but of course, the more of a beating it can take, the better.

Kanehide PS60 or TK if they are ok with semistainless. Good toughness if you are concerned about chipping and nice fit and finish for the price. Both under budget, although the HD2 will almost certainly have a nicer grind.

I would add Grsshin Uraku (I had a chance to use a 240 version with a regrind by Jon himself, it was a very good performer)

I would add Grsshin Uraku (I had a chance to use a 240 version with a regrind by Jon himself, it was a very good performer)
A western-handle Gesshin Uraku? Where/when was this?

Heavy handed a Victorinox 10" at least sharpens easier than the German stainless.

If he is a head chef willing to spend 200-300. Should at least get a knife with a good grind & steel. Then take care don't do stupid things with it.

More Chefs these days are using Japanese knives for many kinds of prep.

Misono 440 if he happens to be right-handed. Otherwise, the lefty version of it with an inverted geometry.
Ask Korin for the free 'initial stone sharpening' to get rid of the weak factory edge.
If available within his budget, Ryusen Blazen R2.

A 210 gram, 2.4 mm thick laser? Not a laser to me.

Edit: It actually measures 216 gram.
By way of comparison, a classic laser--Gesshin Ginga--is 2.3mm spine (above heel) and weighs 206g. That's a 10th of a mm and a 10g difference compared to HD2.

I'd put the HD2 in the laser camp too.
When I think of a workhorse grind, I think of a much beefier knife.
(Note, this discussion has gone on for a bit--how best to define "workhorse". I'm using the term here to refer to a beefy grind, not to refer to a knife somebody could use all day to do a variety of things.)

By way of comparison, a classic laser--Gesshin Ginga--is 2.3mm spine (above heel) and weighs 206g. That's a 10th of a mm and a 10g difference compared to HD2.

I'd put the HD2 in the laser camp too.
When I think of a workhorse grind, I think of a much beefier knife.
(Note, this discussion has gone on for a bit--how best to define "workhorse". I'm using the term here to refer to a beefy grind, not to refer to a knife somebody could use all day to do a variety of things.)
This 240 Ginga western measures 135 gram and 1.75 spine thickness. It‘s either version change or typo or something else. You can’t assume that 206 gram Ginga and this 135 gram ginga are the same laser. And for the record I never called my hd2 workhorse. Its a very nice midweight knife to me. To me a shibata r2 or a takamura r2 is more laserish (<2 mm and <<200 gram). My Tad measures 2.1 too.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ga/products/gesshin-ginga-240mm-white-2-gyuto

This 210 western measures 143 gram and 1.76 spine thickness. I have to say these specs are weird. Maybe they have a 2.3 version and a 1.75mm version.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co.../products/gesshin-ginga-210mm-stainless-gyuto

Last edited:
This 240 Ginga western measures 135 gram and 1.75 spine thickness. It‘s either version change or typo or something else. You can’t assume that 206 gram Ginga and this 135 gram ginga are the same laser. And for the record I never called my hd2 workhorse. Its a very nice midweight knife to me.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ga/products/gesshin-ginga-240mm-white-2-gyuto
Your link was to the White #2 Ginga.
My specs were from the Stainless Ginga, since OP preferred stainless.
I would hesitate to call a Ginga a "middleweight" even if the stainless is heavier than the White #2. YMMV--These categories involve semantics, especially once the boundaries are a bit fuzzy.
1603937450926.png

Another classic laser, Tadatsuna, comes in at 210g for a 240 stainless too.
So, in my thinking this isn't heavy for a laser because Ginga and Tadatsuna are the classic examples.

This 240 Ginga western measures 135 gram and 1.75 spine thickness. It‘s either version change or typo or something else. You can’t assume that 206 gram Ginga and this 135 gram ginga are the same laser. And for the record I never called my hd2 workhorse. Its a very nice midweight knife to me. To me a shibata r2 or a takamura r2 is more laserish (<2 mm and <<200 gram). My Tad measures 2.1 too.

This 210 western measures 143 gram and 1.76 spine thickness. I have to say these specs are weird. Maybe they have a 2.3 version and a 1.75mm version.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co.../products/gesshin-ginga-210mm-stainless-gyuto
I'll have to double check all of this tomorrow... seems off to me too. Its been a while since I looked at those measurements or had someone update them. At least I know whats on my schedule for tomorrow.

while they have weight, i dont think they are what I would consider to be super tough and durable (as he's worried about chipping issues)

Depends on user some abuse knives. Tough knives are plentiful. For me doing lots of prep. Used white steel 240.mm Western handle Masamotos. I took care of knives at work. A knife that is tough with below average grind is a drag to do lots of prep with.

Back