Looking for a couple 240 Gyotos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G8trwood

Reaction score
Looking for a knife for a gift and one for myself.
Budget for the gift 250-300

we have similar knife handling techniques and both of use the knife softer in a slicing motion. No hard chopping

LOCATION US Florida

KNIFE TYPE Chef, Gyoto

right handed

Western handles

What length of knife 240-250

Do you require a stainless knife?

Gift knife, open to carbon clad or stainless. He has never used a “good stainless” knife

me, would prefer stainless

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Gift 300 prefer to stay under

KNIFE USE
intend to use this knife at home

home prep, we both have hard use knives for certain tasks we would not use a good knife on. Frequent large family gatherings.

I do a lot of home veggie prep for meals we prepare and freeze. Lot of kale and greens I use a big board to break down.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

I have a Blazen SG2 210 and I am looking for a larger knife, taller and longer. I don’t know what my relative has other than it is a cheap stainless.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.). Pinch grip the majority of the time

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINKfor types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push or pull slicing with occasional rocking for herbs.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Mainly length and knuckle clearance. I have been pleased with the knife

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not damascus, prefer darker handles. Rounded corners. Definitely prefer french profile or flatter. I dislike German profile knives.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Not flexible but light-mid weight.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Prefer the knife to be good as purchased, i.e., no thinning, etc

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) me, wood, relative bamboo

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) No, I have plenty of stones...It is a disease

Last edited:
Syousin Suminagashi/Shinko Kurokumo? The Shinko is a fancier version of the Syousin, rounded spine and choil, etched blade to make the Damascus pattern pop. Tall. Thin. Stainless.

Nevermind, you want Western handle.

Ginga? Ryusen?

I will double check on wa handle, but he told me in the past he didn’t like them. Also differentiating between Damascus and San Mai/clad

I will double check on wa handle, but he told me in the past he didn’t like them. Also differentiating between Damascus and San Mai/clad
I prefer the wa myself but CKTG has the western readily available.

These things are all mostly subjective but the 240HD has become my happy medium. It’s 240 but light/nimble for its length. It’s not super cheap but performance is great and the rounded spine/choil is really nice. It’s not a Denka and won’t last for 18 years between sharpening but it’s basically stainless. It’s supposed to be a bit of a laser but it also doesn’t feel fragile.

Some knives are cheaper with better performance. Others optimize for performance but you have to pay the price. If I had to choose a superior experience from my own limited stable, for example, I go for its sibling (FT 240) which is better in every way. And yet the HD remains my most used day to day.

Syousin Suminagashi/Shinko Kurokumo thanks m1K3, I had looked at a Syousin but had not heard of Shinko. They do have a western line, I will check on that.
I think the Misono is nice, but f there Swedish steel is basically aebl, that is pretty soft.
I do like the looks of the Kono HD

Syousin Suminagashi/Shinko Kurokumo thanks m1K3, I had looked at a Syousin but had not heard of Shinko. They do have a western line, I will check on that.
I think the Misono is nice, but f there Swedish steel is basically aebl, that is pretty soft.
I do like the looks of the Kono HD
I spend a lot of time with a UX-10 Santoku and they’re solid pieces but they just don’t cut with the grace of a Konosuke, to say nothing of the fit and finish. I loved the UX-10 when that was my nicest knife but for equivalent price the HD is a clear winner in almost every category for me. (The HD is a monosteel but I don’t think that should matter for you?)

Have you looked at a Takamura R2? A bit cheaper and various people rave about the performance.

Narrowing down to what I like so far
Kono HD
Gesshin Kagero
Ohisho Ginsan (I know I said no damascus but it is in third)

Last edited:
I wasn’t paying attention to heel hight, the user has paws.... so I was looking to get closer to 50 If possible

Back