Looking for a sujihiki 240-270

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiano

Reaction score
So, my final project for 2020 will be getting a sujihiki. Please find the questionnaire below.

KNIFE TYPE
I'm interested in a sujihiki.

I'm right handed.

Preference for a Japanese handle.

Length of knife (blade): between 240mm and 270mm.

Preferable either blue (#1 or #2), or (semi)-stainless.

Maximum budget is around 500 euro.

KNIFE USE
Home environment.

Main tasks: slicing and portioning meat, taking off the skin of meat/fish

No replacement, this will be my first sujihiki. :)

Pinch grip primarily.

Characteristics that I would like this knife to have: I've read about some people preferring some weight, so perhaps that would be good characteristic.

Aesthetics: good fit and finish.

Comfort: would prefer good handle material and handle shape. Willing to pay for a handle upgrade.

Ease of Use: would like something that is easy to use and to sharpen. No issues with a reactive steel.

Edge Retention: ideally long.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
I use a wooden and rubber/synthetic cutting board.

I sharpen my own knives using Naniwa.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I'm an EU consumer so preferably an EU shop. That said, I've looked around and don't see lots of choice. I now have a positive buying experience with Japanese Chefs Knife so that would be a suitable shop too. In fact, I've been looking into the Masamoto KS and Mizuno Tanrenjo blue #1 and #2 as well as some Sukenaris. Would like to hear from people using one of these? Knivesandstones Australia should be okay too. Watanabe might also be an option, but last time I got burned on 30% extra import costs...

Particularly interested in views regarding blade size length (240 vs 270 for home use) and blue versus (semi)-stainless. Thanks!

Candidly, I don't see much of a purpose in a 240mm Suji, as a gyuto is more than capable of slicing.
Some people go nuts over steel types, and that's totally fine, but I am of the opinion that THE VAST majority of us couldn't tell the difference as long as it's not crap and made by a decent smith, etc.

As such, and considering his exceptional shipping speed and policies, I would highly recommend you look at KNS: KNIVES AND STONES SYDNEY

As for a specific choice, there will be some Shigeki Tanaka Blue 2 on that site that is surely a good knife. He also has a house line by Yoshikazu Tanaka in Blue 1 dammy that is gorgeous.

Hi there,

the Masamoto KS 240 Wa-Sujihiki (actually it runs approx. about 250mm) was one of my first really good knives ever. Never regret the buy. After all this years and multiple other Sujis (Konosuke, Watanabe, Mazaki, Hazenberg, Jiro, Suisin, Sukenari etc.) this one is still my most used suji. Love the size for portioning Salmon or overall Suji prep.

The profile makes it feel like a proper slicer IMHO. Not just and elongated Gyuto like some Sujis...

A little pricy these days, I admit, but I just love the size and shape.

Here it is :)

39664492sm.jpg

Particularly interested in views regarding blade size length (240 vs 270 for home use)

Length selection on a suji is different than on a gyuto (IMHO). A gyuto is largely preference. Some like the 240, some longer, some shorter. There may be space constraints in the equation. But except for some pro use there's not much in way of task considerations. A 240 or 270 suji is all about the task. For portioning tenderloin or smaller roasts, slicing chix breasts, etc, a 240 is fine. But for larger roasts / loins, prime rib, skinning and portioning fish, then it's all about the 270. (I now have two customs that I asked to be 285mm)

My favorite suji is from HSC. Now that Habeer is doing some work in France it may be the easy button.

Hi there,

the Masamoto KS 240 Wa-Sujihiki (actually it runs approx. about 250mm) was one of my first really good knives ever. Never regret the buy. After all this years and multiple other Sujis (Konosuke, Watanabe, Mazaki, Hazenberg, Jiro, Suisin, Sukenari etc.) this one is still my most used suji. Love the size for portioning Salmon or overall Suji prep.

The profile makes it feel like a proper slicer IMHO. Not just and elongated Gyuto like some Sujis...

A little pricy these days, I admit, but I just love the size and shape.

Here it is :)

39664492sm.jpg
Wow, nice :) Do you have the KS in white #2 or in Swedish?

a 240 suji is a very useful knife, just not the best large protein slicer. I‘ll use them for a line knife, for vegetable prep that isn’t big bulk, and especially for protein fabrication where there aren’t big bones involved. But for bigger pieces of meat like Dave said 270 or better. I prefer thicker to thinner for stiffness more than for weight; tapered is my favorite. Toyama or Watanabe if they’re available. Mazaki even though that’s white steel. Yoshikane SKD, Matsubara in blue. Sukenari AS: I like AS and SLD for crusty cooked meat. I’ve been looking at Masashi SLD but I’m not sure how that flat of a profile would work for me in a slicer.

eta: forgot to mention that the Mizuno sujihiki would probably be awesome.

Last edited:
eta: forgot to mention that the Mizuno sujihiki would probably be awesome.
Thanks. I have a Mizuno blue #1 gyuto coming in already.. Plus JCK does not seem to offer 240mm Mizunos, though the 270mm suji seems to be shorter, around 260mm. So much choice, so it would be fun to have a different knife than Mizuno I guess.

So, I had ordered a Masamoto KS white #2 240mm sujihiki. Or so I thought!

I got the package today but either there was a misunderstanding or there was a mix up at JCK: as I received a Swedish Steel instead of a white #2.

I'll contact Koki later today, but any suggestions how to handle a return shipment from the EU to Japan? I assume he will offer to pay? Or should I keep the Swedish and ask for a partial refund or discount on the deba I'm considering?

I heard Swedish steel will have the S kanji near the back of the ferrules, something like this

Attachments

• 5B674A3D-208B-49EE-9470-920C3DD742E0.png
    5B674A3D-208B-49EE-9470-920C3DD742E0.png
    411.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Why do you think this is stainless?
Good question. I see the KS 4324 model number on the box. I double checked at JCK and it is the number for the Swedish.

When I ordered the suji the white#2 was sold out on the website, but Koki told me they still had a few left. So in the mail I had specifically mentioned I wanted the white #2 and he confirmed it.

I heard Swedish steel will have the S kanji near the back of the ferrules, something like this
I do not have such a S kanji. See pic. Same kanji as the one from @Iggy So is mine white #2 then? It’s a beautiful knife, measures 250mm. :)

D69D4CFA-176E-48F1-A9DF-398A7098B948.jpeg

Mystery solved.. Different model numbers indeed. Seems to be the white #2 after all! :angiefavorite:
6307280C-C9A7-4B80-B218-E71B1108F6B1.png

Yes, so it is white2, when I first received my 240mm Ks gyuto before I thought it was stainless too because it’s too shiny, then I looked it up there’s difference between white 2 and Swedish stainless.

Back