Looking to buy damascus rod for wedding bands

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato42

Reaction score
So... I've met an amazing woman and I'm ready to put a ring on it. (cue the DON'T DO IT TATER!) I'd like to make a couple of rings, but I am having trouble sourcing quality stainless Damascus rod. I already reached out to Hoss, and he said he'd look and see what he had for me. If that doesn't work out, does anyone know where else I can get stainless Damascus rod? I only need a couple of inches worth. I found a shop online called Vegas Forge that does Damascus - anyone heard of them?

I'm looking for something on hand since I hope to leave for Brazil in less than 2 months, and I want the rings finished by then.

Thanks for the links gentlemen! Ealy's website isn't responding for me at the moment, but I'll try again later. I'd seen the damasteel but I didn't know they made round bars too. Good to have that option! I'm still hoping to hear something good back from Hoss, that dude is the king of Damascus!:D

Last edited:
Try calling Del vs going through web site. Damasteel is machine made -- don't you want some soul in your rings? :D

Randy Haas is another option.

BTW, Del has made wedding bands in the past, as well.

Thanks for the links gentlemen! Ealy's website isn't responding for me at the moment, but I'll try again later. I'd seen the damasteel but I didn't know they made round bars too. Good to have that option! I'm still hoping to hear something good back from Hoss, that dude is the kind of Damascus!:D

My wedding ring is Damasteel. Stainless damascus is definitely the way to go. I talked to Hoss about getting a piece from him, and he's usually quite prompt in replying, but the Damasteel ended up being easiest for me. Not sure about the sizes of round stock, but if you have too much you can always have a ring or earrings made for your fiance/wife as well, or other loved ones.

Give it a go now. I re-entered the link.

I think his security cert is out of date or something. One browser wont navigate there and another gives a warning. Anyway I got to it and shot him a message. He's a good dude.

Try calling Del vs going through web site. Damasteel is machine made -- don't you want some soul in your rings? :D

Randy Haas is another option.

BTW, Del has made wedding bands in the past, as well.

Of course I want SOUL in my rings :p:D:rolleyes: Mostly I just like dealing with guys I know or are recommended to me. I reached out to Del and Randy. They're both good dudes and they might remember me.

My wedding ring is Damasteel. Stainless damascus is definitely the way to go. I talked to Hoss about getting a piece from him, and he's usually quite prompt in replying, but the Damasteel ended up being easiest for me. Not sure about the sizes of round stock, but if you have too much you can always have a ring or earrings made for your fiance/wife as well, or other loved ones.

I'm not at all worried about too much stock. I just want to start with the best Damascus, and it needs to be stainless. I've yet to see a single engagement ring crafted with Damascus anything like I have imagined, so I want to try it. I'll line it in silver and it will hold the stone in a silver semi-bezel. I'll probably let a jeweler do the stone setting part.

Another option: Mokume gane. Mokume is pattern welded metal, similar to what we call Damascus steel. Can be made with silver, gold, brass, copper etc. Philip Baldwin is a well known mokume artist. I've also seen stuff by James Binion. For rings I would definitely go with non-reactive metal as skin will discolor and metal will oxidize from salts/oils in skin.

Readup on galvanic corrosion, look at the galvanic corrosion table. esp for mokume gane. And I would also have checked up on silver lining damascus. I think you should go with damasteel if you want the best. I have never seen a flaw in that stuff.

I wonder how much "machine made" it is really.

They´re not very open with their complete process, but there´s definately manhandling forging involved. With rollers and powerhammers. Many of their patterns are done through making "waffles" and grinding/milling off down to flats. It´s the same way most the smaller operators do imo. How much is by eye control forgewelding setting it apart to be machine made I won´t judge really, forgewelding stainless is "icky" to me anyway so I rather focus on getting quality product if I am to use it. The smaller operators probably also use pretty fancy mills/auto or semiauto flatgrinding machines.

I think his security cert is out of date or something. One browser wont navigate there and another gives a warning. Anyway I got to it and shot him a message. He's a good dude.

Of course I want SOUL in my rings :p:D:rolleyes: Mostly I just like dealing with guys I know or are recommended to me. I reached out to Del and Randy. They're both good dudes and they might remember me.

I'm not at all worried about too much stock. I just want to start with the best Damascus, and it needs to be stainless. I've yet to see a single engagement ring crafted with Damascus anything like I have imagined, so I want to try it. I'll line it in silver and it will hold the stone in a silver semi-bezel. I'll probably let a jeweler do the stone setting part.

If you jump on the Damasteel Instagram page you will see it is not machine made. They have their processes down pat so they can replicate the same pattern over and over. Their product is top shelf

i guess the waffles are cnc'ed (i can program several cnc languages and its still handiwork here, you always chase time for instance) to get the patterns but i'd bet pretty much everything else is manual labor. also the welding have to be done in a vacuum. since it ss to ss.

i would guess its mostly manual work here they just use bigger machines to get some real output from the process.

but yeah they could also be just putting different powders in a box in layers and stamping it in a hydraulic press and then off to do the welding oven (maybe HIP/sinter), then over to whatever process they use as the last to customer (probably sphero anneal).

I think of damasteel as handmade but they can make the same thing over and over. but i might be wrong though.

Back