Low baller alert!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh they certainly were stupid prices haha. Planning to keep doing that for a while going forward as I work down my collection so I’m guessing I’m a low baller then?
This absolutely needs to stop. If you feel the urge to dump more stuff for those kind of prices, shoot me a PM and we can talk through it instead. Lemme go find my credit card first...

Buyers sellers remorse. When the old isn't new enough anymore. You That idea of that new Unicorn. You sometimes need to pave the monetary path. What is going to motivate the would be buyer other than a good price.

Sorry for the miscue and somehow I hit the wrong keys didn't finish my thread. Needed funds or impulse, there is usually a cost for moving on or away from something. What if a day or two passes and you didn't get any inquiry's? And you feel the Unicorn is fading away. You might have a different perspective. After the sale we all have the benefit of hindsight. Maybe you will get a smoking deal somewhere else tell yourself the scales have again balanced.

Recently saw someone on a forum selling a $300 knife in good condition for $250 -- a fair asking price. To which someone with 5 posts responded "150$?". Ugh. That's the kind of crap I often get when trying to sell on eBay -- even when I'm not selling with "or best offer" selected. This forum is usually pretty good about this kind of thing, and I'm not opposed to haggling at the margins. But to publicly ask someone to ask for a 40% discount on a fairly priced item is a bad look.

Yea I'm confused, I thought this thread was going to be about ridiculous offers people send. In which case someone reached out to me about the Dalman Honyaki I got from @ian . I told him I wasn't interested in selling it but if I was going to, I'd pass it along for how much I got it for. He responded with well I'll give you $450 for it, someone else offered me there's for $400 but I'll take yours. Huh?! lol

Yea I'm confused, I thought this thread was going to be about ridiculous offers people send. In which case someone reached out to me about the Dalman Honyaki I got from @ian . I told him I wasn't interested in selling it but if I was going to, I'd pass it along for how much I got it for. He responded with well I'll give you $450 for it, someone else offered me there's for $400 but I'll take yours. Huh?! lol
Lol, yeah I’m really concerned about money, so I’ll low ball you and tell you I’m willing to pay more just to do you a solid😂... You actually meet/make friends here selling and trading and that’s when I think it’s at its best here. That’s what draws me to trade/sell/buy here, but there’s definetely some shady 🐱 s and I think it’s good to call them out.

Oh, I know that “someone else” he’s talking about! I’m going on a date with them tonight!

At my house.

Drinking boxed wine.

Watching Friends reruns.

Alone.

😭😭😭😭😭

that's some kind of crazy psychological play.

Id be concerned the dude has a bunch of dead animals buried in his back yard.

(that is a joke)

I don't see what the issue with low balling is ethically. I understand some forms of flipping, particularly, when you buy something in high demand new then immediately reselling it. You're essentially a parasite on the market transaction to a honest buyer. You've done nothing to make or develop a global supply chain to match the maker and buyer.

On the other hand, low balling is not that. If I have 200 bucks to spend on a knife, and someone wants to sell a knife for 350 because they need cash, its up to them to decide whether that 200 bucks on the table today is worth it or hold out for 350. I don't owe them the additional 150, anymore than they owe me the knife. I bring the value of putting 200 bucks in their pocket immediately, not possibly at some point in the future.

If the seller feel it will be worth more and can afford to hold it they should. I really don't see how that's any different than say choosing to hold onto or sell a stock or mutual fund, or really anything else. If you're selling knives either because you over extended yourself financially, or you thought of it as a speculative investment and it doesn't pay out, that's really on you as the seller.

It's just annoying and a little disrespectful. If you explain "hey, I'm short on funds right now, so please let me know if you ever come down to $200 on that knife, since I can't afford it otherwise" then that's ok imo, but typically what happens is you post a knife for $300 and then in like 3 hrs someone says "will u take 200" and like, no, of course I won't take $200 because I just posted the stupid thing. You think I'm going to choose to lose $100 rather than wait for another buyer? If I'm desperate to sell, I'll just lower the price, and 4-word low ball offers tell me that the buyer doesn't really value the product and is just trying to score something for cheap. I guess there's more grey area with a knife that's been sitting for a long time, but in general, unless someone says specifically that they'll take lower offers, I don't make them as a buyer.

It's just annoying and a little disrespectful. If you explain "hey, I'm short on funds right now, so please let me know if you ever come down to $200 on that knife, since I can't afford it otherwise" then that's ok imo, but typically what happens is you post a knife for $300 and then in like 3 hrs someone says "will u take 200" and like, no, of course I won't take $200 because I just posted the stupid thing. You think I'm going to choose to lose $100 rather than wait for another buyer? If I'm desperate to sell, I'll just lower the price, and low ball offers without context tell me that the buyer doesn't really value the product and is just trying to score something for cheap. I guess there's more grey area with a knife that's been sitting for a long time, but in general, unless someone says specifically that they'll take lower offers, I don't make them as a buyer.
Other perspective: I have 200 bucks, I see a 400 dollar product not moving for 2-3 weeks and the person goes down by increments of 5 dollars. Its clearly overpriced based on what demand is, if your goal is to move the knife quickly. I like many people don't NEED a new knife to cook my dinner. But if that's a knife I'd like to have at some point and I see its not moved I may put a bid in that's lower. Its just the marginal value I get out of 400 bucks from it isn't that high because I already own several similar knives. Offering 200 to me seems perfectly reasonable. For example, my first Y Tanaka wide bevel blue 1 I brought to me is worth the 450 I paid for it. I would gladly buy a second if someone offered me 200 on the secondary market, but buying a second has substantially less marginal utility and value to me than my first because I already own my first one. But to a different buyer without one, its probably worth that. I think resellers need to recognize those different perspectives among buyers.

I agree with you though if you just put it on the market and I try to massively undercut the price right away, I deserve to be laughed off. I disagree with putting someone on blast if they shoot a significantly lower price for something that hasn't moved in a while.

It's just annoying and a little disrespectful. If you explain "hey, I'm short on funds right now, so please let me know if you ever come down to $200 on that knife, since I can't afford it otherwise" then that's ok imo, but typically what happens is you post a knife for $300 and then in like 3 hrs someone says "will u take 200" and like, no, of course I won't take $200 because I just posted the stupid thing. You think I'm going to choose to lose $100 rather than wait for another buyer? If I'm desperate to sell, I'll just lower the price, and 4-word low ball offers tell me that the buyer doesn't really value the product and is just trying to score something for cheap. I guess there's more grey area with a knife that's been sitting for a long time, but in general, unless someone says specifically that they'll take lower offers, I don't make them as a buyer.

This is something of a gray area for me. Usually I just pay the asking price if it seems fair but I have occasionally offered ~10% less either because I perceive the item as slightly overpriced or because those extra dollars move a purchase from insane to kinda-sorta justifiable. I'm certainly not miffed if the seller says "no". Unless the seller has posted a crazy price (almost never seen on B/S/T) I perceive really lowball offers (<70% of asking) as crass and insulting but that is just my personal perception.

You all think I’m Fxcking crazy but I swear only good things come from offering good prices on knives. Also my prices are always relative to what I paid so that should tel you something. The flippers may make a few hundred bucks but lose much more respect. Is it worth it? Up to them to decide.

This is something of a gray area for me. Usually I just pay the asking price if it seems fair but I have occasionally offered ~10% less either because I perceive the item as slightly overpriced or because those extra dollars move a purchase from insane to kinda-sorta justifiable. I'm certainly not miffed if the seller says "no". Unless the seller has posted a crazy price (almost never seen on B/S/T) I perceive really lowball offers (<70% of asking) as crass and insulting but that is just my personal perception.

Yea, it is a little grey if you just ask for a bit off. I think I did that a couple times at first, but don’t anymore because it bugs me a bit when people do it to me. But that’s just my personal hang-up, probably others don’t mind.

Other perspective: I have 200 bucks, I see a 400 dollar product not moving for 2-3 weeks and the person goes down by increments of 5 dollars. Its clearly overpriced based on what demand is, if your goal is to move the knife quickly. I like many people don't NEED a new knife to cook my dinner. But if that's a knife I'd like to have at some point and I see its not moved I may put a bid in that's lower. Its just the marginal value I get out of 400 bucks from it isn't that high because I already own several similar knives. Offering 200 to me seems perfectly reasonable. For example, my first Y Tanaka wide bevel blue 1 I brought to me is worth the 450 I paid for it. I would gladly buy a second if someone offered me 200 on the secondary market, but buying a second has substantially less marginal utility and value to me than my first because I already own my first one. But to a different buyer without one, its probably worth that. I think resellers need to recognize those different perspectives among buyers.

If the price goes down every week by only $5 I’d take that as a good indication that the seller doesn’t want to take $200 off the price. Your example of “I have another of these, so it’s not worth as much to me” seems like a perfect example of the buyer not properly valuing the knife. I’m not sure why that’s supposed to make it better. Like, I’m supposed to be more inclined to sell my treasured knife to someone because he already has one? In this scenario I’d find a $200 offer on my $400 knife pretty insulting. It’s stupid too, because if I wanted $200 for it I could just list it for $200 and it’d sell in like 5 minutes. The buyer isn’t doing the seller a favor in this situation, which is why it’s different from @LostHighway’s scenario, where it’s not clear if there’d be another buyer at the suggested 10% less price.

Last edited:
You all think I’m Fxcking crazy but I swear only good things come from offering good prices on knives. Also my prices are always relative to what I paid so that should tel you something. The flippers may make a few hundred bucks but lose much more respect. Is it worth it? Up to them to decide.

It’s also just better to have your stuff sell fast. I don’t got the brain power to monitor a sale for more than a couple days! A couple things I’ve bought new I’ve initially posted for optimistic prices because I got sick to my stomach losing $100 on them after a couple weeks of home use, but my usual MO is to buy good deals on BST and then sell them again for slightly less.

I don't see what the issue with low balling is ethically. I understand some forms of flipping, particularly, when you buy something in high demand new then immediately reselling it. You're essentially a parasite on the market transaction to a honest buyer. You've done nothing to make or develop a global supply chain to match the maker and buyer.

On the other hand, low balling is not that. If I have 200 bucks to spend on a knife, and someone wants to sell a knife for 350 because they need cash, its up to them to decide whether that 200 bucks on the table today is worth it or hold out for 350. I don't owe them the additional 150, anymore than they owe me the knife. I bring the value of putting 200 bucks in their pocket immediately, not possibly at some point in the future.

If the seller feel it will be worth more and can afford to hold it they should. I really don't see how that's any different than say choosing to hold onto or sell a stock or mutual fund, or really anything else. If you're selling knives either because you over extended yourself financially, or you thought of it as a speculative investment and it doesn't pay out, that's really on you as the seller.
I'll take your whole knife and sharpening stone collection for $123.87. I'll pay $4 towards shipping also.

Back