"Making big stuff be small stuff"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidPF

Likes Boring Knives
Reaction score
I've seen the description of a kind of knife that's good for "making big stuff be small stuff" quite a few times now, and I've finally realized I don't get it. It's probably because I'm a home cook for whom the distinction is irrelevant, or something like that - but I can tell you for sure I never use my knife to make small stuff be big stuff. 🤣

So, in general, what's the other thing you do with knives, that isn't "making big stuff be small stuff"?

Eh, maybe have a look in the sharpening section for what crazy people here do just to caress their knives more. One can also enjoy tilefencing to detip and chip them, for future reprofilings. But you have to ask the gf on the ups of that.

Reactions: ian
So, in general, what's the other thing you do with knives, that isn't "making big stuff be small stuff"?

Apparently: gaze lovingly at it, mount it on the wall, or keep it stored in its box until you sell it on BST for a profit.

That phrase describes a knife that may or may not have any aesthetic frills, but is good and functional.

One of the crazy people from the sharpening section here. Yeah when I'm not "making big stuff be small" I'm usually polishing my blades, to make them look good when I'm making the big stuff small.

OK ... I had the impression that sometimes it stood for doing a certain type of task.

I've seen the description of a kind of knife that's good for "making big stuff be small stuff" quite a few times now, and I've finally realized I don't get it. It's probably because I'm a home cook for whom the distinction is irrelevant, or something like that - but I can tell you for sure I never use my knife to make small stuff be big stuff. 🤣

Well... to some, if the knife is pretty enough, it can make small stuff be big stuff ;)

I did think of something actually. Trimming silverskin. That's not really making something small. I mean maybe technically it is, but relatively not so much.

Depending on which ones and in which order, yes :)

Universal Rule #1: Whenever possible, don't be the dead one. :)

It seemed odd to summon him from the depths when he was obviously already here, that's all.

When you use a long suji as a skewer, putting large pieces of meat together, I guess that when you meat glue them together that would count as turning stuff into bigger stuff.

Latest posts

Back