Makoto Kurosaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The scratches look amazing, but how would they feel rubbing against your knuckles for a few hours...
I have a Kurosaki Fujin. These are not scratches; the pattern is hammered into the blade. The edges are quite smooth and rounded. There is absolutely no way you would abrade your skin or any such thing.

I have a Kurosaki Fujin. These are not scratches; the pattern is hammered into the blade. The edges are quite smooth and rounded. There is absolutely no way you would abrade your skin or any such thing.

That's good to hear Michi. How about cleaning? Are there inclusions where microscopic particles could collect or be difficult to clean/sanitize? Especially if you have to do that process frequently, do you spend more time than other types of finishes during cleanup?

Thanks for replying. I am intrigued. And there's not many reviews out there yet.

Hmmm… I haven't noticed any problem with the knife being hard to clean. I just wipe it off like I do with all my other knives.

The surface inside the grooves is completely smooth, and there aren't really any sharp corners that things would adhere to. I guess, in theory, you could end up with the odd tiny bit of food sticking. But it hasn't been an issue for me.

The one I have is the 165 mm VG10 Santoku, and it does perform very well. Good food release, and it's very, very sharp, and really thin behind the edge. I will probably put it up for sale though, simply because I've decided that the knife is a little too short and too light for my taste (133 g). My new 180 mm Saji Bunka is taking its place.

I jad a kurosaki r2 with the funky hammering, and i could definitely feel them on my nuckles after a while, there werent any sharpe edges either, but after using it for an extended period of time i could feel them all right.
I would have never guessed it if i had used it only at home, though, i think this is only a pro concern.

On the other hand i used that kurosaki a lot, and it was a great knife.

Sorry, mine was a yu kurosaki shizuku, not a makoto. I really liked it, in the end i sold it to try more knives, nothing wrong with it to be honest.

I own a SG2 270 sujihiki. Have been using it professionally for 3 months now. Since the Sakura SG2 lasers all have a similar F&F this info might be useful for the different models.

I have given this knife an absolute run through the gauntlet. It gets extensively used for 8hrs straight slicing 3 different roasted meats on a Sunday lunch shift from 12pm-8pm (I work in London UK, where Sunday roasts are taken very seriously!) and I have a fair idea of how it operates.

Pros:

1. It’s a true laser and one of the lightest around if that’s your fancy. Extremely thin behind the edge & a high flat grind. I’ve been in the company of the Santoku also (one of my chefs picked that up) and the grind is identical. The Gyuto’s look to be the same and I believe the whole range measures at 1.9mm at the base of the spine.

2. Aesthetically, I think it’s very pretty and unlike most, I’m fond of the laser etched Kanji. It kinda pops. It’s deep also and I’m confident it will not wear. I like it’s contemporary and minimal look. It’s also a bright knife which for me is a positive.

3. It gets RAZOR sharp and very quickly, something that I value 5mins before service. I sharpen it twice a week. After the Sunday shift and before the next one. It gets 5mins on a leather strop to bring it back before the shift starts and after I give it about 8mins on a Naniwa pro 5k when the shift finishes. I use it within the week but no where near as extensively as Sunday service. After the 5k, it’s good for the week, no rods.

4. I value its edge retention. It starts to dull at around 3.30/4pm and plateau for the rest of the shift to a semi sharp capability, which still cuts well enough. By this time of day I have sliced about 60 portions of beef rump, 50 portions of pork loin (I do not put it through crackling) and 60 portions of wood grilled lamb leg which has a dark bark to get through. It tackles it all fine. The first hour of service is beautiful and my speed in plating has doubled.

5. It cuts thin and straight and it’s amazing how the protein slides off the blade effortlessly. The subtle brushed finish ticks the food release box. It’s also a pretty interesting long petty, herbs, shallots etc.. There is a bit of rocking up the top middle and front, a welcome curve that can tackle delicate tip work prep and slicing.

6. For its weight, it’s astounding how strong the profile is and the SG2 steel seems pretty durable. At a HT of 62, this suits me. It could be higher but no chips yet or marks and in the heat of service it gets thrown around a little.

7. F&F on the handle is nice and for me a good size.

Cons:

1. Ok so the spine and choil are pretty awful unfortunately on the SG2s. Sharp edges and on a pinch grip (which I use also when slicing), you can expect blisters. I had to sand down the areas quite a bit, it’s now fine and I find it comfortable. But, it’s not my most comfortable blade. (I purchased mine from cleancut.eu, be interesting to see if F&F’s have been different elsewhere).

2. The heel tip is insanely dangerous. And totally unnecessary. It is so frigging sharp and sweeps back towards the handle. It actually creates problems as it snags pretty much everywhere if you are not careful, particularly when pulling back on produce like meat. It can ruin the integrity of the protein! Seriously, watch this one out of the box. This heel profile is on all models. Like a snake, it will surprise you! (And injure you). Again, I went to the stones on this to rectify. It’s ok now, still sweeps, but it’s not sharp and doesn’t catch.

3. I found the OOTB edge to be poor. 4/5 out of 10.

That’s all I can think of now.

Hope this sheds a bit of light on its performance.

I would give it a solid 7.5 out of 10 and I won’t be replacing it anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edo
...2. The heel tip is insanely dangerous. And totally unnecessary. It is so frigging sharp and sweeps back towards the handle. It actually creates problems as it snags pretty much everywhere if you are not careful, particularly when pulling back on produce like meat. It can ruin the integrity of the protein! Seriously, watch this one out of the box. This heel profile is on all models. Like a snake, it will surprise you! (And injure you). Again, I went to the stones on this to rectify. It’s ok now, still sweeps, but it’s not sharp and doesn’t catch...
Completely agree about the heel of his knives. This was a feature of Hiroshi Kato too, whom Makoto apprenticed under. I had a Masakage Koishi by Kato, loved the knife but hated that back swept heel. The heel snagged everything including me one too many times.

Reactions: Edo
Completely agree about the heel of his knives. This was a feature of Hiroshi Kato too, whom Makoto apprenticed under. I had a Masakage Koishi by Kato, loved the knife but hated that back swept heel. The heel snagged everything including me one too many times.

I own a Koishi too. But the Nakiri. The heel isn’t a factor on it. But yeah there’s a pronounced backsweep on that line also.

Just curious but how exactly does the backsweep cause snagging? Like you jab yourself with it in the abdomen/side? or when picking up/placing down the blade? I am interested in the SG2 but the backsweep is definitely one of the aspects I am unsure of.

It causes snagging because it protrudes beyond the heel of the blade creating a point. As the blade profile is that of a laser it is extremely sharp and unforgiving. Best way I can describe it.

For me, I nicked myself once and it caught on my apron a few times. But my biggest issue was it catching on meat from pull back. I got rid of the protrusion anyway so it’s fine now

Last edited:
Makes sense now that you describe it a bit more. I hadn't even considered the towel thing... I definitely take for granted that a knife is flat at the heel the way I wipe a blade. Rory, did you end up flattening the profile of the backsweep so it went straight down like most gyutos? Was it a pain to do?

No it was a cinch really. I lightly ground it at a 45 degree angle both sides with a Shapton pro 120. Then softened it up with a 1k and 5k respectively. I didn’t change the profile in any way. I was grinding in a very small specific area and very lightly. As I said it still sweeps and the blade is so thin it’s never going to be ‘rounded’ at the edge. I guess I just dulled and softened the area without trying to compromise the actual cutting surface. It also helped further when I was sanding the choil area for comfort. The blade doesn’t really look too different. I’ll take a snap and post it when I’m in the kitchen on Wednesday.

The process took 10 minutes.

I must add, in service, it was a massive issue for me as I pretty much have that knife in my hand constantly. The problem I had with the heel may not resonate with the home cook. It probably wouldn’t bother me as much at home. They are truly great knives.

I have the R2 Santoku, which is 165mm. Home cook, so this doesn't see very heavy usage.

I love the fit and finish on this knife. It's super light and very thin, at least in my experience and comparing it to other knives I own. The heel has a rounded design. As a home cook and for the Santoku, this hasn't bothered me, as the short length and decent height makes this more of a veggie slicer for me, so no long protein cuts. I can see how the beak could spell trouble though.

Mine felt very premium OOB and sharpness was very good - it shaved the hairs on my arm easily. I must admit though that edge retention has been so-so. I tend to rotate through my knives based on what I feel like using / makes sense for what I'm prepping, and the razor-sharp edge OOB didn't last for very long. (I'm careful, have only done veggies on this so far etc). I'm guessing that a pass on the 4k will bring it back very easily.

One of the things I've found with this knife is that the very nice finish doesn't last long. I have a magnetic block from John Lewis (UK, London) which has the magnetic cover on both sides, and just from pulling the knife upwards when taking it out instead of twisting it it has introduced some minor but visible changes to the polish. They will be easy enough to get rid of if I tried, but still.

Overall I'm very happy with this knife and will probably hold on to it. My only complaint, if that even is one is that it's so light that you some times really can't feel anything, so the feedback is very different from anything that's medium weight, like even a Moritaka gyuoto or nakiri, which are already very light.

I suddenly feel a bit better about nicking myself on the heel last week, lol. I have the 240 w2 gyuto, and the heel always catches on the towel -- super annoying. That's my only real complaint, though; it sharpens quick and the edge retention is impressive for w2. All of Makoto's knives seem to be really good value, imo.

I suddenly feel a bit better about nicking myself on the heel last week, lol. I have the 240 w2 gyuto, and the heel always catches on the towel -- super annoying. That's my only real complaint, though; it sharpens quick and the edge retention is impressive for w2. All of Makoto's knives seem to be really good value, imo.
I've gotten better over time in dealing with that heel. I hold the knife with the cutting edge facing up and wipe the knife from the center to the tip and then the center to the heel and don't snag my towels and rags as much now. Have gotten better at not snagging myself too! I think most of his knives are some of the best deals out there.

Back