Massdrop for KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massdrop for KKF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
VAT is paid according to the destination principle, which means that VAT is to be paid in the region where the goods in consumed. Within the European Union, the union is considered to be the same region. As such, we pay the VAT that applies in the country where we buy. As such, we can pay different VAT rates, depending on what country we buy from. If we import from another region, such as the US, we are responsible to pay VAT in our region, when the product enters the EU. Likewise, if you buy from EU to the US, you don't pay EU VAT, but you declare VAT when you import.

Switzerland is not part of the EU, but might be part of different VAT regions and collaborations. This is, however, where my knowledge stops.

That's partly right. What I know from my e-commerce background: Currently it depends on your revenue in the specific country where you have to pay VAT. If you make more revenue than € X (I think 20-25k €), the retailer has to pay VAT in this country. But there is a new law (decided but not executed yet) that whatever the revenue in a country is, the retailer has always to pay the VAT in the country where he ships to. So it gets more complex.

Example from e-commerce:
Company located in Germany
Revenue Germany = 100k -> German VAT
Revenue Austria = 50k -> Austrian VAT
Revenue Italy = 30k -> Italian VAT
Revenue Netherlands = 1k -> German VAT

So this topic is quite complex as you need to have knowledge in each country you sell to. With the new law it often makes no sense to sell in a country as you have additional work for a small revenue but I think each country tries to setup a platform to make it easier.

VAT topics are fun o_O🤓

Switzerland is VAT neutral too...meaning getting caught at the border where checks are frequent for that, and other reasons checks are frequent.
With the recent implementation of VAT, called a modernization (but simply ensuring no VAT is missed) things get 'better', the regulation is however delayed by 6 months: (I already wondered why my last couple of shipment after Jan 2021 arrived without a VAT bill from the courier)
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/modernising-vat-cross-border-ecommerce_en
key message:
  • Member States will gain through an increase in VAT revenues of EUR 7 billion annually.

Yeah. VAT is yet one of those areas where I know a bit, but not enough to give business advice. I still think that from a consumer experience, my outline is probably close to the truth.

the problem is that most small business owners (as myself) do not really know VAT works or is supposed to, paying an accountant is expensive but worth it (if it's a good one).

Let this whole EU-VAT thing be simple so craftsmen can focus on making stunning products, I mean ; what is there not to like in a Dalman Honyaki with 'special handle'

the problem is that most small business owners (as myself) do not really know VAT works or is supposed to, paying an accountant is expensive but worth it (if it's a good one).

Let this whole EU-VAT thing be simple so craftsmen can focus on making stunning products, I mean ; what is there not to like in a Dalman Honyaki with 'special handle'
I do everything myself, and believe I'm clear and on top of things like it. But those coming vat changes where new to me, thanks for posting. Need to read cafefully but on glance there looked to be threshold I might fall under.

Hi All,

Apologies as I am still relatively young to the forum, and I am only discovering this now.
The knife looks absolutely gorgeous!
Is there someone I can contact to get on the waiting list in case someone backs out?

I am based in Hong Kong, which has absolutely no tax/VAT and no customs requirements for kitchen knives :cool:

Swedish Honyaki’s look amazing - handles came out really nicely. Plus the videos are a great - what a journey getting to this point!

next week, some of us will be using these In our kitchens, others the following week

special thanks to Robin for patiently working with us to make this happen!

special shout out to my main-man Mr. Nakiri himself! NKW, without you, this would have never come about. Is he awake?

let the payments begin!

Swedish Honyaki’s look amazing - handles came out really nicely. Plus the videos are a great - what a journey getting to this point!

next week, some of us will be using these In our kitchens, others the following week

special thanks to Robin for patiently working with us to make this happen!

special shout out to my main-man Mr. Nakiri himself! NKW, without you, this would have never come about. Is he awake?

let the payments begin!

I was in fact fast asleep taking a nap 😇

Much love to you both too @RockyBasel and @RDalman 🤗

So people know how valuable Rocky was to this whole thing - he's the reason we were able to get Robin on board - so a big big thanks to him.

And another huge thank you to Robin for trapping himself in his shed for the past couple of months to make us 30 knives by springtime. Incredible smith, kind person, and I'm very fortunate to have him on for the first massdrop. Couldn't have picked a better smith to work with.

I will save the rest of my tear-jerking super emotional victory speech posting for after everyone has a knife in their hands - that's when my job here will be done.

WE'RE ALMOST TO THE PROMISED LAND LADS - FULL SPEED AHEAD

Last edited:
I vote for 30 Yanick 😜Damascus
8D629F1C-13E6-4169-AE53-CC302F53A51D.jpeg

Back