maybe my most ridiculous purchase (in a while). a PENCIL. a wooden pencil

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
Wow. i write a lot. my handwriting is a joke. i tend to be much more legible if i use a pencil. something about the added drag of the pencil lead, and the tactile feedback or something. i slow down. my 90% pencil is a cheapo, PENTEL with 0.9mm lead. i like the thicker lead because i write with more pressure than needed and i snap it off quite often. the 0.9 mitigates my ham-fistedness.

i ordered some Black-Wing pencils on a whim. pure curiostiy. the OG pencils are discontinued and i think leftover NIB versions go for hundreds of dollars. i am buying a replica. still more money than the box i can buy at TARGET for $2. hahah..

but DAAAANNNGGG..what a smooth and dark pencil. is is almost joyful to write notes to myself.

i cant be the only one here that has tried one. anyone?

Yo. The lead formula is Dark!

IMG_1540.jpeg

i am joining any pencil forum. haha...
Fix’d.

Used a Kuru toga when it was newer to the states back in college. Did love that pencil. Moved to fountain pens mostly a few years ago, but I picked up one of the newer designed kuru togas with the upgraded rotation engine for nostalgias sake. A pen may be a better writing instrument in my opinion for color options and legibility, but there’s something satisfying about the feeling of writing with a pencil especially when you’re moving at speed on a hard surface, the wider leads even more so.

we have quite a collection of pencils, due to an artsy GF, and all of them write as much better as they cost more when compared to the cheap versions.

Last edited:
A good pencil can be a sublime thing, although, as far as writing utensils that use graphite go, I prefer lead holders in 3mm (Caran d'Ache Fixpencil 3)... or the rOtring 600 MP in 0.9/1mm. That said, people feel very passionately about them vintage Blackwings... and I've always wanted to try out the Rolls Royce of pencils, the Graf von Faber-Castell Perfect Pencil (or the new Magnum version of it), it looks just lovely, classic, and kinda bonkers in the best possible way. Lots to explore there, for sure, but then again what do I know, I am a vintage fountain pen person at heart.

I use pencils a lot at work and I was doing the same research, haven’t tried a Blackwing as it just seems overkill but so far I’ve used Artline Black Beauty, Musgrave Tennessee Red, Palomino Golden Bear, and have a couple more types in the queue before I pick a favorite. I haven’t joined any pencil forums yet but I’ve lurked a few blogs…

Those are good, expensive tho, I’m in the entertainment art industry and those were popular, now I use a Sumo auto for most sketches, Mitsubishi makes some cheap and nice drawing pencils

Back