mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only Mazaki that changed over time were the JNS. All the other vendors were fairly consistent. He seems to be finding a nice rhythm now and still massive value for the price. The new ones from CKC/Craig are as good as any I’ve seen. So probably no need to worry about issues in the future. Especially since JNS isn’t flipping seconds into the market anymore. That’s not confirmed of course, just an observation.

The only Mazaki that changed over time were the JNS. All the other vendors were fairly consistent. He seems to be finding a nice rhythm now and still massive value for the price. The new ones from CKC/Craig are as good as any I’ve seen. So probably no need to worry about issues in the future. Especially since JNS isn’t flipping seconds into the market anymore. That’s not confirmed of course, just an observation.
I’m new to Mazaki. Can I ask what you mean by “seconds”? Does it mean knives that aren’t quite right (perhaps not fully defective) but are offered to the market at discounted prices?

...The new ones from CKC/Craig are as good as any I’ve seen. So probably no need to worry about issues in the future...

I have to agree. The Kurouchi nashiji 210 and 240 gyutos I received Monday are really quite impressive. I've only tried a 210 and 240 from JNS, when the profile initially changed and the coal temper thingy came in to play, and a couple others from CC and Razor. Of those I've kept just one. The others just didn't really grab me so much. But these from CKC are really impressive (to me).

Forgive me with this next post. Going to geek out a bit here.
Of the 3 gyutos below, the one with the pretty blue patina is the older one. The shiny ones are new from Craig at CKC.
Pics are from cell phone, which seem to become grainy when uploaded here. Not too sure why.

20190918_100140.jpg
20190918_100038.jpg
20190918_094503.jpg

Here the 240 is on the bottom, and the older 210 is on top (5.8mm, 6mm and 6.2mm respectively)

20190918_094605.jpg
20190918_094645.jpg
20190918_094623.jpg
20190918_094722.jpg
20190918_100400.jpg
20190918_100542.jpg
20190918_100423.jpg

I’m new to Mazaki. Can I ask what you mean by “seconds”? Does it mean knives that aren’t quite right (perhaps not fully defective) but are offered to the market at discounted prices?

I’m mean it’s pure speculation- but yes. His knives coming out of JNS were all over the place while the other vendors were pretty consistent and solid, as well the finishes were at a higher level. But it’s pretty standard practice for vendors to call the shots on what they sell in their own retail location. And the new ones at CKC are certainly no exception- there pretty nice in every way.

I’ve only spent a little time with the 210 yesterday, but initial thoughts are positive. Horizontal cuts on yellow onion feel like I don’t even need to use my left hand to hold the onion in place. It just flies through that easily

Man, those photos and specs look great. I'll post specs of my 240 when it arrives later this week.

Forgive me with this next post. Going to geek out a bit here.
Of the 3 gyutos below, the one with the pretty blue patina is the older one. The shiny ones are new from Craig at CKC.
Pics are from cell phone, which seem to become grainy when uploaded here. Not too sure why.

GD Marc! I didn't know Craig was selling 270s and you made me go and buy a nashiji. And I want a kasumi, too. F**K!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
New Mazakis look great...its cool he brought back the 'textured' KU finish...

Last edited:
Mazaki with the hype again. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am not a KU fan, and ignore the kasumi also on ckc... and stick with my plan of going deep with a shihan or kippington. In any case I'm probably in the minority that kinda likes the JNS profile.

Mazaki with the hype again. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am not a KU fan, and ignore the kasumi also on ckc... and stick with my plan of going deep with a shihan or kippington. In any case I'm probably in the minority that kinda likes the JNS profile.
Keep your sights set on Shihan. Only until its in your possession will you realize its worth it.

Wait a sec....you wouldnt want shihan KU? Its really really cool.

Wait a sec....you wouldnt want shihan KU? Its really really cool.
shihan KU is the one exception because it's very minimal, but standard nashiji KU like Hinoura or Mune I'm not so hot on. I have a mune petty and the finish is just 'eh' for me. I like the knife fine enough and it's a petty so I keep.

Like the look of KU in general, but on a gyuto a textured KU finish irritates my (left) knuckles when doing fast (right handed) chopping. Does noone else have that problem? Maybe all you pros have such huge calluses that it doesn’t matter to you...

Maybe it’d be fine with a Shihan, though, where the KU is minimal...

Keep your sights set on Shihan. Only until its in your possession will you realize its worth it.

Not to go too far off topic, but I’m hearing some great things about these Shihan blades. Almost wish I would have pulled the trigger on one of these.

Outside of the couple of blades I have on the books coming up I was at a stop on buying knives. But these mazaki ku nashiji blades have been a want for a while. And then that damned Raquin butcher just popped up on bst, fudging up the whole plan. What’s next, someone going to offer me a Billipp?? Trying not to buy knives here people! Help a brother out.
Guess that’s what I get for laughing at Ashy’s post about buying a 270 Mazaki.... karma is such a bitter Betty

Not to go too far off topic, but I’m hearing some great things about these Shihan blades. Almost wish I would have pulled the trigger on one of these.

Outside of the couple of blades I have on the books coming up I was at a stop on buying knives. But these mazaki ku nashiji blades have been a want for a while. And then that damned Raquin butcher just popped up on bst, fudging up the whole plan. What’s next, someone going to offer me a Billipp?? Trying not to buy knives here people! Help a brother out.
Guess that’s what I get for laughing at Ashy’s post about buying a 270 Mazaki.... karma is such a bitter Betty
Shihan was a delight to work with for a custom. Ill definitely deal with him direct again in the future.

From the choil shots on CKC, it looks to me like the kasumi line has a slightly thinner grind than the KU. Does anyone feel the same?

@Koakuma didn't you just get a TF like, yesterday? :p nice knife btw, looks chunky. I think something like this would be too heavy for me though

From the choil shots on CKC, it looks to me like the kasumi line has a slightly thinner grind than the KU. Does anyone feel the same?

@Koakuma didn't you just get a TF like, yesterday? :p nice knife btw, looks chunky. I think something like this would be too heavy for me though
Yeah, I returned my TF so that one is for replacement for TF. ;)

I like your older mazaki the best, just purely from pictures and the way the profile looks. I will also mirror what labor said about Shehan, good guy to deal with. Here is the one he made me recently.

shihan.jpg

Back