• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mert Tansu Blue 2 Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgertooth

Reaction score
This knife is from the fabled batch which had as one of its peers the best-in-show knife at the Sydney knife show. It has had a thinning and passable refinishing. The handle is Ebony and blonde horn with a nickel spacer. Haven't actually ever measured her up but I'd say 225mm length. Breezes through everything though don't be a numpty and use this as your breaking down chickens and pumpkins knife.

$800 gets it before shipping

SZ3mq1U.jpg

0qfMgxe.jpg

nr9SYvr.jpg

vaK8JmZ.jpg

By8p5vr.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Those who have tried a Mert can speak to some of the qualities such as the top notch HT and edge taking.

Forgot to say, photos completely unaltered though I did deliberately under expose the first two to mute the shine a little.

Awesome knife and Mert is up there with the best.

Say, what steel is this one?

Sweet knife. Good luck with the sale, this would make someone happy....

I want one of those towels the knife is on. That thing is sweet!

Ha! It was dead heat between this one or
A tan coloured one with polar bears;
A cyan coloured one with little snow-capped Mt Fujis;
A yellow one with little black whales;
A white one little brown hedgehogs;

I've been using horsey a lot

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1509671354.312584.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1509671409.443328.jpg

Officially back on sale. For those that missed it: Mert being Mert (an utter gentleman) is throwing in a saya and freshened up makers mark, if the buyer is prepare to handle shipping. I am prepared to wear the shipping to Mert in Aus so the potential buyer is only paying shipping once if they take this route. That's a screaming offer.

May be a stupid question :scratchhead: but I can't see a hamon on the knife. Is it because of lighting / angle / polish? Or is this gyuto not differentially hardened?

Blue 2 is deep hardening steel, so the hamon is not as obvious as white paper and W2 steels. I was having a bad time capturing the hamon in my mert blue 2, nevertheless mert's heat treatment on blue 2 is solid. Take very sharp edge, hold it long and easy to sharpen GLWS

A fair question: the hamon has never featured in the knife's finish, nor was it intended to, blue 2 is notoriously fickle with hamons and doesn't "pop" like white steel variants. Accordingly Mert just made it a straight line hamon and the original finish was a completely homogenous 600 grit horizontal finish. This is very similar to how Watanabe does his hamons on his blue 2. With the heightened polish now and in very specific light you can juuuuuuust make it out but it's unphotographable.

Badger's just making excuses, it's just cos his polishing game ain't up to it... :whistling:

Hahahaha.

And that.

We'll use the hiromoto "beater" to practise on, maybe not mr Tansu's baby.

I have finished the knife initially to 1200 grit and hamon was suguha ( more like straight line ) and I went back to 800 grit finish and priced it accordingly , I can tell Otto has done a solid job on refinishing , if etched the hamon will come up altough not as wild as shallow hardening steels like W2 or White 2 . I am happy to add the makers mark if shipping cost is covered , good luck with the sale

Back