Monosteel western handle Gyuto discussion thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@blokey

Also wouldnt necessarily trust a choil shot only. One Ashi nakiri I have has a thinner choil, one Ashi nakiri has a more thick choil. The thicker choil one is ground thinner the rest of the blade. The thinner choil one was ground thinner mainly at the choil. Stuff like that
Definitely, I’ve been fooled by choils couple times now, but this one is definitely thicker than the Nakiri I’ve got, I’m kind interested to order a White 2 from Ichimonji and see how it fairs. Interestingly I think Sukehisa is one of the strongest cutting blade in this thread so far

I worked on the 270 Yo Gesshin GingA a bit, the Yo handle version seems to be thicker than Wa, original I was planning on taking this to Jon but his schedule is full atm, can’t match his work but I’m pretty happy with this now
Before
View attachment 285023
After
View attachment 285021
View attachment 285024

My 270 Ashi was def a touch thicker everywhere than the 240 and 210's I've had but still cut well. Might be a size thing?

On a different note are there any semi-stainless 240-270 mm Kanto style knives around?

My 270 Ashi was def a touch thicker everywhere than the 240 and 210's I've had but still cut well. Might be a size thing?

On a different note are there any semi-stainless 240-270 mm Kanto style knives around?
Not sure, I only have an old Masakane in 270

https://strataportland.com/products/hitohira-vintage-skd-240mm-gyuto-wood-handle-no-bolster
This one is OOS.

Then you have stuff like yo handled HD2, Kanehide TK, Bessaku, Carbonext, the old Aritsugu Gokinko.

And I’ve definitely seen some vintage no name semistainless at auctions and stuff, sometimes advertised as “special alloy”.

@blokey that’s interesting, and surprising to me. The grind and cutting performance on my Ashis feels much better than my other monosteels (Masakane, Misono, Sakai Kikumori Swedish steel). Goes through produce easier and sticks much less. The grind has more convexity and it’s thinner BTE.

They aren’t the thinnest knives BTE but still pretty thin and I appreciate the extra toughness. I haven’t tried any recent example though (my newest one is prob 2 yrs old). I also haven’t tried a 270 - I guess the extra height can make it stickier?

@blokey that’s interesting, and surprising to me. The grind and cutting performance on my Ashis feels much better than my other monosteels (Masakane, Misono, Sakai Kikumori Swedish steel). Goes through produce easier and sticks much less. The grind has more convexity and it’s thinner BTE.

They aren’t the thinnest knives BTE but still pretty thin and I appreciate the extra toughness. I haven’t tried any recent example though (my newest one is prob 2 yrs old). I also haven’t tried a 270 - I guess the extra height can make it stickier?
I’m not sure, maybe it is just 270mm as said above, I will try find something to compare

Not related to this particular knife I don't know.
Have noticed different sizes within the same series of Japanese Westerns often have very different characters. For affordable really thin and light 270's best look for New Old Stock.
As for thickness BTE, knives that used to come nail-flexing OOTB now often come far too fat. Changed production methods? Limits of robotisation? Afraid of returns?
Earlier noticed differences between ones for the local market and the export ones, the local ones being much thinner.

yeah my Misono EU carbon knives (bought recently) all had that chiseled bezel OOTB, fairly thick BTE... however they are quite easy to thin, actually a fun process lol
True. But an important point for new users. I used to explain why keeping the factory edge is no good idea. Now I it's about heavy thinning.

Interesting, I thought they were different house styles. My Misono Dragon is a year or two newer than my Masahiro and much beefier behind the edge.

I see that this kind of knives are biased for right handed, but knives with Japanese handle are not.
Why this difference?

But it is much easier to find a no biased Japanese handled knife than a no biased western handled one
I wouldn't rely on what retailers tell about it. Have seen strongly right-biased blades being called 'ambidextrous'. Or given a '50/50 edge' which doesn't suit its geometry.

I wouldn't rely on what retailers tell about it. Have seen strongly right-biased blades being called 'ambidextrous'. Or given a '50/50 edge' which doesn't suit its geometry.
Because of that maybe I am wrong.
My experience is very limited

Just got the Ichimonji White 2 in 240mm, while i still can’t say 100% this is a Ginga, looks close, pinned bolster and asymmetrical grind. On the grind, it is really good! Better than the 270 for sure, cuts extremely well, should be able to hang out with higher end knives, the balance is surprisingly well too consider the large and comfortable handle, smoother finish than most Japanese western. There’s bit of gradual distal taper too. For the price, really good buy, I was able to take advantage of free shipping after buying some stones together.
IMG_0742.jpeg
IMG_0743.jpeg
IMG_0745.jpeg
IMG_0744.jpeg

Just got the Ichimonji White 2 in 240mm, while i still can’t say 100% this is a Ginga, looks close, pinned bolster and asymmetrical grind. On the grind, it is really good! Better than the 270 for sure, cuts extremely well, should be able to hang out with higher end knives, the balance is surprisingly well too consider the large and comfortable handle, smoother finish than most Japanese western. There’s bit of gradual distal taper too. For the price, really good buy, I was able to take advantage of free shipping after buying some stones together.
View attachment 286562View attachment 286561View attachment 286559View attachment 286560
Is this grind for lefties?

View attachment 286562View attachment 286561View attachment 286559View attachment 286560
Cool to see you ended up picking one up! They also have a 300 available : )

This is likely another OEM Ashi from what I've seen. Not certain but looks close. As much as I like the oversized gyutos, the 210 from here is probably my most used knife. KAMATA Hakensha White #2 Chef knife

Still right hand grind, I putted on ruler on it to see the convex, and right side is more convexed. Tho you can ask Ichimonji if they have left grind
On the photo it seems like left handed grind. That is my impression.
I bought a misono gyuto made for lefties some weeks ago. I have too many knives. Anyway, I will take a look at the manufacturer you say.
My next knife is a petty.

Back