Monosteel western handle Gyuto discussion thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind want to try Suien or Misono dragon next, Suien got quite nice steel and I can check it out in person at JKI, Misono got the dragon, hard choices… wait still I sold my stuff on BST
I love both, but wouldn't miss the chance to get a Suien VC from Jon. Mine came straight from the factory and needed some serious work. Once done it has become a favourite.

Bit of elbow grease to make them look somewhat palatable…
IMG_1317.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg
IMG_1321.jpeg

@blokey if you can try a takahashi Hamono knife, it would be cool -- hardest japanese carbon monosteel I've used aside from honyaki, feels almost like skd. Also some of the thinnest ground. Forged too. I know @kpham12 has a couple I sold him -- I don't have any myself right now but I wanna try more from them

@blokey if you can try a takahashi Hamono knife, it would be cool -- hardest japanese carbon monosteel I've used aside from honyaki, feels almost like skd. Also some of the thinnest ground. Forged too. I know @kpham12 has a couple I sold him -- I don't have any myself right now but I wanna try more from them
Sounds nice, I will keep an eye out for them

Last edited:
Some interesting implications Razorsharp made here…

My Ashi 270 wa handle gyuto is the knife most identical to my 240 KS but they're not identical. They are close though.
Since the Ashi runs short at around 260 and the KS runs long at about 255 the length difference is very small.

Comparing to the yo handle version of the ginga just seems weird; handle weight is entirely different.

Oh and also, you wouldn't mistake one for the other if you had them in hand. My KS has better taper (mine is the gold standard of distal taper) and the finish on choil and spine is way better.
So even if Ashi OEMs the KS, they are making them to a higher standard in some aspects.

That being said tho, they still feel and handle very similarly on the board, and I think an Ashi is a very valid 'budget alternative' for a KS. Just mind the sizing difference. 240 KS is closer to the 270 wa ginga than the 240.

anyway I like the patinated Ashi! makes sense since they are quite reactive. Vintage Sab vibes...
My vintage Sabs aren't that reactive at all. Nothing compared to what the Misono used to be, or former SK's.
Anyway, I force a patina prior to any use. Which certainly doesn't exclude a nice further development.

58-60 sounds more reasonable for SK steel stuff, tho I can't be sure

I would put my suji around 60. But ya know, Bernal gets them pre-order tips so what do I know?

;)

Back