Monthly knife theme

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Reaction score
Lets make a thread where we bounce ideas about next months knife self-imposed restrictions.

Could be fun to hear some ideas. I think we are a clever bunch and could be fun. We can make new threads when the month comes.

OG’s of the ideas will be @HumbleHomeCook, @M1k3, @Jville

May ideas……..?????

edit: added another OG

Last edited:
I like the idea of under 200mm length.

I think I'm going to do a self-imposed opposite hand cutting week. I've done similar things with computer mice at work or riding bikes/boards opposite foot forward. Makes normal "easy" tasks a challenge, but fun-ish.

Lets make a thread where we bounce ideas about next months knife self-imposed restrictions.

Could be fun to hear some ideas. I think we are a clever bunch and could be fun. We can make new threads when the month comes.

OG’s of the ideas will be @HumbleHomeCook and @M1k3.

May ideas……..?????
BBBOOOOOOOO!! Llllliiiiaaarrrrr!!!

@Jville came up with the 1 Knife April.

I like the idea of under 200mm length.
14bR.gif

How about Cinco De Mayo. You make a kit out of your knives consisting of 5 knives of your choice. You can pick whatever you want but only 5, no exceptions at all. You can use them as much or as little as you want. This includes pro and hone use. If you want to pick 5 240 gyutos that’s your prerogative, however, if you need a pairing knife to trim strawberries for your morning oatmeal that counts as one. If you are a pro and need a line knive that’s counts as one. A beater for frozen food, a cleaver for bones, a bread knife for crusty bread etc. No trying a knife that is coming in unless you pre-pick it. Absolutely no exceptions, it’s as if you didn’t even own more. You post your kit in the beginning of the month and stick to it.

Sujihiki september; using a sujihiki as main knife all month (no gyuto or cleavers etc).

Yo-handle june. No wa-handle knives all month.

German july. French february. Stainless september.

Could also do a low-grit or high grit sharpening month.

Misunderstood May - pick whichever knife you feel is the most underrated in your collection.

Middleweight May - no lasers or workhorses, pick something in between.

Jumping ahead you could do Nimble November - use your lightest knife
Misunderstood May is interesting

Back