Morihei 4000 or Belgian Blue?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for a finishing stone mainly for my carbon steel knives (TF Mab, Munetoshi, perhaps more to come).
Will also experiment on stainless (Takamura R2, VG10, Misono UX10) but that is almost a side note and of minor importance.

I have the Morihei 4K or a Belgian Blue in mind. Roughly similar priced, both good reviews.

Any thoughts? It is for sharpening really, I am not into polishing. Although I am not adverse to that.

Thanks!

They are very different stones.

For me the BB leaves a finish closer to an 8K than 4K. Its also the type of finish ( non toothy ) that suits raw fish and shaving.

The M4K's edge feels very 4K like an as such is better suited to a wider range of kitchen cutting tasks.

The M4K is also a super nice stone for low grit slurry mixing, i.e. put some 1K slurry on it. Very interesting edge.

I am looking for a finishing stone mainly for my carbon steel knives (TF Mab, Munetoshi, perhaps more to come).
Will also experiment on stainless (Takamura R2, VG10, Misono UX10) but that is almost a side note and of minor importance.

I have the Morihei 4K or a Belgian Blue in mind. Roughly similar priced, both good reviews.

Any thoughts? It is for sharpening really, I am not into polishing. Although I am not adverse to that.

Thanks!
I would get the Morihei 4k. This is a really nice stone. If you are not into polishing, the BB is not worth the price, in my opinion. I have a growing collection of coticules. I love coticules, but i do not own any BB. The BB can be really good for polishing, but because of the low garnet content it cuts really slow.
The M4k leaves a very nice edge on kitchen knifes. It also leaves an ok polish.
You can also use it with a fine and soft JNAT nagura.

The Tsushima Nagura bench stone is another alternative that works really well on some steel. This can also be used with different types of naguras, even harder Asano naguras. This is in the 3-6k grit range, depending on how you use it (at least mine is).

For me the BB leaves a finish closer to an 8K than 4K. Its also the type of finish ( non toothy ) that suits raw fish and shaving.

Really? Are you raising an atoma slurry on it...?

I would certainly agree that BBW finishes higher than 4k, but with mud the edges can be extremely toothy ime. Start breaking up garnets with diamond and you get some serious aggression on the finish.

(If you don't do that though then yep - I'd agree that the edges can also be quite refined. The larger garnets in BBW vs Coticule are also less angular).

Edge from BBW is quite toothy from my experience.

There is footage from my last BBW addition. Hard stone, no Atoma only small soft BBW nagura. This edge is toothy as hell. Toothier than 1k but refined and clean as 5k stone. Kitchen laser chainsaw hybride.
(Footage of cutting a kitchen paper towel. True challenge for the edge. Better with sound)

I consider BBW as perfect stone for carbon steel.
But not so great for stainless steel or even high-end powder steel.

Really? Are you raising an atoma slurry on it...?

I would certainly agree that BBW finishes higher than 4k, but with mud the edges can be extremely toothy ime. Start breaking up garnets with diamond and you get some serious aggression on the finish.

(If you don't do that though then yep - I'd agree that the edges can also be quite refined. The larger garnets in BBW vs Coticule are also less angular).
It's been a while. Not sure I have used slurry that low but will give it another go :)

Back