My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this belongs here or @Carl Kotte's disgusting patina thread tbh

SWjhITWl.jpg

180mm Special Watanabe White 2 iron-clad nakiri
Nice axes though knife is nice too

Does anyone have tips on lighting to best take pictures of patina? My Kochi has built up a beautiful purple patina, but I can't seem to capture it well on camera

Try low light like at dawn/dusk and different angles.... try some filters just for fun!

Also if it is oiled or not makes a difference in how they protograph...

Good luck!

I say take pictures before AND after, oil normally subdues the patina but it can have a cool effect...

Tell us what happens! ;-)

DE6D3296-7E86-4483-BE0E-CB0E6B9D0E4E.jpeg
0D016288-CCD6-4492-A2F2-D52E18C96796.jpeg
DED6CF59-3AB5-417F-A4C9-BA18E2B30A29.jpeg
F01EB2D3-E86B-4A5C-B1A2-7F00B8DC5D58.jpeg

Tried building an attractive patina multiple times on the AS edge of this Kurosaki Gyuto. Always turned out blotchy/spotty and unattractive. After seeing some posts on a forced patina with coffee, I gave the blade about a six hour soak in strong brewed room temp coffee. Pretty happy with the results

Cool! Now that I think of it...... I’m more of the whatever happens-happens approach to patina....

;-)

My wife chooses the patina here (on the knives she is using, and she is not using the ones I was hoping she would, haha)...

@daveb I'd tell you but then I'll have to kill you :cool:

I just cut up a small steak and ran a piece across the knife and left it there for a while :p the part that actually cut up the steak looks the nicest though, the rest is just messy. Fear not, I shall cook more meats this weekend to rectify it!

Back