My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20230704_201958.jpg

Visited some family friends at their remote weekend place, and found a well-used carbon "Old Hickory" from the Ontario Knife Company ("Tru-Edge"!). I really wish I had some whetstones with me, because this thing badly needs a tune-up! But I'm told it's been here for at least 40 years, and clearly it's seen a lot in its time.

Attachments

• ontarioknife.jpg
    ontarioknife.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Visited some family friends at their remote weekend place, and found a well-used carbon "Old Hickory" from the Ontario Knife Company ("Tru-Edge"!). I really wish I had some whetstones with me, because this thing badly needs a tune-up! But I'm told it's been here for at least 40 years, and clearly it's seen a lot in its time.
Those are real nice once you thin them out.

how does it cut?

I passed one of those around 2015 as I thought it was too expensive... seller was asking $800 or 900 :(

That memory haunts me every time I see a yo-Shig lol
My shig yo is pretty beefy for the length, had a 180mm yo once before, almost like a petty... Completely different profile.

Removed the stock finish and it's performing much better now, patina from todays lunch
View attachment 253011
View attachment 253012
Curious what you mean by "removed the stock finish." Are you referring to the matte-like finish that it came with? If so, how did you remove it? I recently bought one, but haven't used it yet, and wondering if I should do the same thing. Thanks! Beautiful patina btw.

Back