My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using my Misono Swede a lot more, lately and it's developed a beautiful blue patina on top of the countless other patinas it has. It seems to be a really stable one, which is always a plus, too!

0a77d213.jpg

I love how the patina extends out onto the bevel, that's pretty sweet. Nice job, Lefty!

Raw fish can make a nice purple color. The various salts in cured meats I think is the culprit in the quickly forming patinas.

Duhh. I should've thought of fish when we're talking about yanagi's... :eyebrow:

Any kind in particular that works faster/stronger than the others?

Yup!

I wasn't expecting that when I tried it at first, but I actually like it a lot. Sadly everybody knows what it is off the bat :p

oh cool, i assumed the damascus series was stainless clad. i'd never really looked into them. also, i didnt realise it was damascus, i just thought it had a great patina lol.

looks great.

A bit of light raw protien scimitar patina. It runs the length of the blade but was difficult to capture.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Jernbolaget Eskilstuna carver, 1095-grade steel, citric acid, water, towel.

PtvingadpatinapminJernbolagetE-natrancherkniv-1.jpg

~Paul~

Hey, I was hoping maybe you would be willing to go a little more in depth into how you achieved such patina?
Salty quote,"I forced it. Litterally used a paint brush and a concoction of raw and cooked blood."

Anything beyond that he would need to elaborate. Hope that helps.

Yeah I caught that, Was wondering if he dripped the blood down the blade, or just painted it on roughly or whats up with that. thanks though

Got a new toy from Mario (RRLOVER) . Watanabe honesuki in blue steel. It had pretty awesome patina on it when I got it, but it needed some work on the blade road and edge so it ended up with a shiney virgin polish. Afterwards, It demolished its first of many chickens in my hands and then got a shower of hot water and vinegar.
Here's a pic of the fresh patina and a gallery link below. I think that Mario's custom handle is even more stunning than the blade.
20120221-IMG_0044.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/117600618285187025883/WatanabeHonesukiPatinaHandle

Thanks Mario!

I don't know if I posted this one or not. If so I apologize in advance.

sumi2.jpg

Got a new toy from Mario (RRLOVER) . Watanabe honesuki in blue steel. It had pretty awesome patina on it when I got it, but it needed some work on the blade road and edge so it ended up with a shiney virgin polish. Afterwards, It demolished its first of many chickens in my hands and then got a shower of hot water and vinegar.
Here's a pic of the fresh patina and a gallery link below. I think that Mario's custom handle is even more stunning than the blade.
20120221-IMG_0044.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/117600618285187025883/WatanabeHonesukiPatinaHandle

Thanks Mario!

I am glad it has a good home,to bad that palm shrunk on the handle.

I know, it's not a kitchen knife, but I started to develop this patina after using my pocket knife for my steak last night. This is a Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue with Hitachi blue steel. It's a cool little knife!

283yo3.jpg

Having a real hard time getting photos, but here's the whole knife before patina:

Burke3.jpg

And here's what it's starting to look like:

Blues2.jpg

Between the color and the damascus, it looks like a peacock feather.

Back