My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@stringer, just curious for your knives (which obviously see a lot of action), when, if ever, do you decide to remove the patina and start fresh?

Not very often usually. Once every few years. I spend a lot more time chopping than polishing. But I got this one to practice polishing so will probably clean it up more often than normal. And this one will see the stones soon. I haven't sharpened it yet. Just touched up the microbevel a little. But I'm getting the urge.

Not very often usually. Once every few years. I spend a lot more time chopping than polishing. But I got this one to practice polishing so will probably clean it up more often than normal. And this one will see the stones soon. I haven't sharpened it yet. Just touched up the microbevel a little. But I'm getting the urge.
Thanks! I like hearing about knives that live in the pro environment and it is not surprising that HSC/// can withstand the abuse and hold an edge for quite a while

Thanks! I like hearing about knives that live in the pro environment and it is not surprising that HSC/// can withstand the abuse and hold an edge for quite a while

I actually have only used it at home so far. It would hold up just fine. I just don't do insane prep like I used to. For the ten years or so before the pandemic I was working at pretty big hotels. Like 1000+ person banquets. Now I'm running a community coffee and breakfast place. It's a little different scenario. I do everything with a Kanehide TK 240.

I have a wrought cladding/52100 core @HSC /// Knives for awhile and it's held up great in a pro environment.

First blood on @KAMON Knives

20211230_180040.jpg
20211230_174122.jpg

So there is nothing blue about this patina. I removed the wack coffee patina I tried to put on this HSC/// and replaced it with another forced patina, one that I feel was better executed than the first.

I feel like I should make a plug, no matter how many knives I buy this one always makes the cut. Harbeer does some great work.

9A8DE560-63C6-4053-B35A-6DFB12296C46.jpeg

7FEEF471-8BE4-4340-933E-04CC9613514B.jpeg

E39EAF41-DBDC-4F7E-B613-8A7513209912.jpeg

So there is nothing blue about this patina. I removed the wack coffee patina I tried to put on this HSC/// and replaced it with another forced patina, one that I feel was better executed than the first.

I feel like I should make a plug, no matter how many knives I buy this one always makes the cut. Harbeer does some great work.

View attachment 158466
View attachment 158467
View attachment 158468

Mine is stainless clad but 100% agree that Harbeer is crushing it with knives. I use mine daily and it is amazing. One of my 2022 goals is to ditch the knives I do no use which is anchored on the fact that I use my HSC/// every day. Thanks for the patina update and keep it going!!!

My stupidity aside, I used the knife to trim and portion some flap steak. After that I just hit it with the hottest water my faucet would allow for a few minutes

Edit: now that I’m thinking about it, I did the same thing once the meat came off the grill and rested. I cut the steak and then hit it with hot water

Heat is usually a catalyst for almost all chemical reactions, making them go faster, so it would make sense to heat it under water before as well.

Picked up a shig nakiri to try out that grind. That edge is brittle!

I paid about 280 for it not too bad...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-173714_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-173714_Gallery.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 26
Back