Name that one most underrated knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had two Martells, both are just so, so good. One is one of the knives I might really never sell. I wouldn’t call them underrated because I always thought of them as highly regarded commensurate with their quality and performance. Then again that was a couple years ago — I wouldn’t have put Yoshikane on the list either because those used to be super popular but now I guess they’re not.

Following from that there are probably a few more makers out there who make great knives but don’t get a lot of attention!

My pain is there are so many good smiths with impeccable knives:heat treats, grinds, fit and finish and are underrated. Yet this community seems to favor some with serious problems just because of publicity. Are we that superficial? We have so many good alternatives out there that we should not turn a blind eye on flaws.
I will put Yoshikatzu Ikeda as one of the underrated smiths. He is on par with Keijiro Doi in terms of forging and attention to detail. Yet so humble

My pain is there are so many good smiths with impeccable knives:heat treats, grinds, fit and finish and are underrated. Yet this community seems to favor some with serious problems just because of publicity. Are we that superficial? We have so many good alternatives out there that we should not turn a blind eye on flaws.
I will put Yoshikatzu Ikeda as one of the underrated smiths. He is on par with Keijiro Doi in terms of forging and attention to detail. Yet so humble

Please explain in which ways Yoshikazu Ikeda has an above average level of attention to detail in your view, and how he is underrated

Mazaki is one of the most popular right now, not sure qualify as underrated either. My 210 Nashiji was a great cutter for most stuff, but wedged big time when I cut a watermelon. My stainless clad 210 Toyama went right through.

Mazaki has studied under Kato and use near identical WH profile minus the sophisticated convex grind. However, I’d be surprised if Kato 210mm doesn’t wedge a Watermelon. Can anyone with Kato 210 try it on watermelon?

Last edited:
I would not call Yoshikazu Ikeda underrated - different vendors sell his knives - often however under their own brand. These knives are usually well above 500 $/€ category, so not everyone can afford them. Plus we (as) usually do not know who ground them. That makes a huge difference. I can only say that Ikeda’s HT is top - from white all the way up to super blue steel.

Mazaki is one of the most popular right now, not sure qualify as underrated either. My 210 Nashiji was a great cutter for most stuff, but wedged big time when I cut a watermelon. My stainless clad 210 Toyama went right through.

Mazaki has studied under Kato and use near identical WH profile minus the sophisticated convex grind. However, I’d be surprised if Kato 210mm doesn’t wedge a Watermelon. Can anyone with Kato 210 try it on watermelon?
Mine it doesn't wedges.....

See, I would disqualify S. Tanaka, because his price point is lower but the knives are well known to perform extremely well. Masashi maybe, is that like Yoshikane where they used to get more buzz here? I really liked mine. Until recently I might have included Y. Tanaka though - everybody was all about the Fujiyama but who’s this guy?

+1 Masahiro VC, the steel is definitely top notch.

Name one underrated knife from a maker that never received the recognition as it deserved.

hattori forums line. very good. best F/F of anything below 1k. its SS, takes a good edge, fairly tough.
mac dimpled cryoed santoku. best allround knife ever made. not very good F/F though, but you can do that yourself with a sandpaper. thats why its cheap.

i also think the black dragon series from shiki is nice. its lightyears ahead of the rest of the crap no matter what price.

hattori forums line. very good. best F/F of anything below 1k. its SS, takes a good edge, fairly tough.
mac dimpled cryoed santoku. best allround knife ever made. not very good F/F though, but you can do that yourself with a sandpaper. thats why its cheap.

i also think the black dragon series from shiki is nice. its lightyears ahead of the rest of the crap no matter what price.
Is the Hatori vg solid or clad?

@thebradleycrew beat me too it. Shihan’s work really stands out to me and I’m surprised his stuff doesn’t get talked about more often.
+1

The wrought iron/white #2 gyuto from him is nothing short of a masterpiece. To those who say Shi Han's knives have a strange profile, here's a picture of mine. Lookin' good to me!

20200126_070309.jpeg

+1

The wrought iron/white #2 gyuto from him is nothing short of a masterpiece. To those who say Shi Han's knives have a strange profile, here's a picture of mine. Lookin' good to me!

View attachment 69907

Shehan is also great to work with, I contacted him directly and asked for a flatter profile, he had no problem doing it for no extra cost. I remember someone saying they asked for a lower tip as well.

Back