online knife store what "amenities" do you like to see?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whetted_edge

Reaction score
like navigation filters and layout? What do you despise about website shopping? No need to name websites. I personally can't stand really busy drop-down tabs or checkout pop ups .

An option to sort by what is in stock. I like seeing all the options available, but don't like sorting through 50+ options to see the couple that are in stock.

1000x time this - filter what is in stock.

Sort by price/name. Filter by steel type (with a proper understand of what the steels are)

Somewhere on the page a clear statement of which currency (even if it not selectable). One store I check occasionaly used to allow you to select, but now they don't, but at the same time don't specify what currency they charge. Sure they are US based, but they have international customers.

Filtering/searching by the actual marker and line, not just brand. A couple shops have everything from e.g. Hitohira as one category - it's not helpful for anyone to have their lower priced lines like Futana and $700+ Y Tanaka collabs all jumbled together.

Good choil, spine, and profile shots, taken straight on in front of the same light/dark background for every knife. Some sites have a dozen beauty shots of the blade face from every angle but nothing that gives you an idea of the grind and taper (yes, choil shots don't always tell the whole story, but if it's very unrepresentative just add a note to that effect).

I really like the KnS interface that gives you easy add-on options for handle upgrades - no need to email for "hey, can I buy this but with X handle, how much extra is it for the combo?" etc.

No popup nonsense.

Filtering/searching by the actual marker and line, not just brand. A couple shops have everything from e.g. Hitohira as one category - it's not helpful for anyone to have their lower priced lines like Futana and $700+ Y Tanaka collabs all jumbled together.

Good choil, spine, and profile shots, taken straight on in front of the same light/dark background for every knife. Some sites have a dozen beauty shots of the blade face from every angle but nothing that gives you an idea of the grind and taper (yes, choil shots don't always tell the whole story, but if it's very unrepresentative just add a note to that effect).

I really like the KnS interface that gives you easy add-on options for handle upgrades - no need to email for "hey, can I buy this but with X handle, how much extra is it for the combo?" etc.

No popup nonsense.
I feel like Tosho does the first thing well.

And Carbon does the second well.

More of a wishlist feature, but I’d love it If rare knives that are never coming back in stock were archived somewhere rather than casually viewed along with everything else. Last thing I need to do is go on thinking that this knife is coming back in stock after it’s no longer in production.

Would also be nice to see if certain out of stock items have been ordered or not. I’m not asking for an exact timeframe, it’s just nice to know that the item your looking for is actually coming back in stock. I’m a patient person and can wait as long as I know I’m not waiting for nothing. Generally you can send emails and retailers are happy to let you know, but all the same it would be nice to be featured on the website.

Options to show only certain knives: type, size, core steel, cladding, in stock, etc.

For some good examples, I like JKI and Knives and Stones layouts.

Also, knives you carried but never will carry again, put them in their own little section.

Filtering by most recently added to stock. This includes not only new items, but also items that were previously out of stock, but recently changed to "in stock"

Most of what I like has already been covered but one thing that is annoying on some sites is that you can't see the price of sold knives. I get why that is but it's still annoying... Oh maybe a ~date finished (for more custom knife makers of course) to mitigate some of those issues of displaying the price.

I really like the way @Sharp Knife Shop, Epic Edge, etc. have videos of most all the knives. It lets you see it from many different angles.

Steve Gamache's videos I feel are the standard for this. All the specs in the background while he talks over every spec a knife user would likely care about.

Steve Gamache's videos I feel are the standard for this. All the specs in the background while he talks over every spec a knife user would likely care about.

I get that but for me it's Epic Edge. The vid's are short, well lit and just a hand rolling the knife around. I can read the specs and with the short vids I don't have to wait or skip forward to see certain angles. I'm not bemoaning the informative vids, just stating my preference. Any video is better than the one or two side shots on some of the site's.

Let’s repeat this one because it drives me bonkers: a filter for in stock items.

Back