Opinions on "secrets of sharp"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessarily true. I mean like captain said, try it yourself. but I have found that yes, I can tear through paper towel no problem with a edge tuned on a very fine grit, but it has trouble grabbing the skin of a tomato. So instead of instantly cutting the skin I skid over top. You can very easily stop at 1k and still have a great time even if it doesn't shred paper like a high grit knife would.
Depending on the knife I'll stop at 1k. On my TF I'll take it to 6k,I would go higher if I could. I'm experimenting with the wusthof. Most pocket knives I'll keep at 1k also. That's interesting though, for me, I've found I still need teeth to cut paper towel better. If I take it too high then it has a harder time cutting in. My bad, what I meant was regular paper. If it can easily cut regular paper, I know it will cut anything in the kitchen given the relief is good and I've found it to be a good way to tell if I have a burr or not and to test my whole edge like the fingernail test. I mean, there's a reason everyone tests with paper right? The paper towel cutting is more of an extra thing I'm obsessed with right now since I saw @cotedupy and his video. I'm trying to get an edge like that

everyone tests with paper cause that's what they see on the internet and they just copy.
Like I said, it tells me if I have a burr or not and tells me about the whole edge much like the fingernail test will tell you about the edge. Seems I'm not the only one

I test cut various papers - magazine sheet, copy paper, receipts (my Fav). It tells me whether I have a clean edge without a burr or foil. I don't always succeed at first attempt, but when I can cleanly cut a hanging receipt paper, my knife works at an awesome level.

I test cut various papers - magazine sheet, copy paper, receipts (my Fav). It tells me whether I have a clean edge without a burr or foil. I don't always succeed at first attempt, but when I can cleanly cut a hanging receipt paper, my knife works at an awesome level.
When cutting hanging receipt paper, do you go quickly? I save all my receipts for this purpose haha. I can push cut receipt paper but I have to go quickly. If I go to slow the paper folds. Idk if it still counts or not

“My knives are super sharp”

“Oh yeah?”

“I HAVE THE RECEIPTS”

there are two types of sharpening.

1. Practical performance. This is the path most of us walk. It means not going to very high grits, may or may not slice paper towel, but provides excellent performance in the kitchen. With performance meaning both in terms of slicing and edge retention.

2. Personal pride. This is the path for just really seeing what you can accomplish. This is striving for hair-whittling, atom-splitting edges and obsessing over every detail.

Sure there's overlap between the two but you get the idea. I know my limitations and with freehand sharpening I stay mostly in category one. That isn't to say knives in that category aren't very sharp, they are, but they aren't on the same plane as those done well in category two. It's fun to pursue both if you want. The only point I have in that is that it's okay if your daily driver isn't named Oppenheimer. :)

“My knives are super sharp”

“Oh yeah?”

“I HAVE THE RECEIPTS”
I'm mostly in category 2 haha. I have some knives that I'm happy with as long as they shave hair and slice paper but most of them I always try to get so sharp you cut yourself just by looking at them. I'll get them as sharp as I can, use them in the kitchen until they need a sharpening and repeat. Granted, my highest some is 6k so there's a limit but that doesn't mean I can't still get them sharper

I'm still really interested in the articles claim about steeling the edge. It's the first time I heard that. Does anyone agree or does everyone disagree? What would be causing the change in those pictures if it's not the steel hone?

Regarding the reciept paper cuts, I go slowly. Speed can fool you. A slow draw will identify burrs by catching or hanging up. A sharp knife in my experience will cut cleanly with a smooth draw and consistant sound.

Last edited:
Regarding the reciept paper cuts, I go slowly. Speed can fool you. A slow draw will identify burrs by catching or hanging up. A sharp knife in my experience will cut cleanly with a smooth draw and constant sound.
When I slice cut it I go slow but to push cut at the 90/90/90 degree I have to speed up a little

The main question that popped up in my mind when skimming through the article is what kind of temperatures honing dry will create on the apex... potentially enough to harm heat treatment for modern knives?

I also wonder to what extent that was something applicable to stones used in the 70s but 'no longer the case' when using more modern stones.

The main question that popped up in my mind when skimming through the article is what kind of temperatures honing dry will create on the apex... potentially enough to harm heat treatment for modern knives?

I also wonder to what extent that was something applicable to stones used in the 70s but 'no longer the case' when using more modern stones.
Wouldn't his findings show damage to heat treatment? At least in the steels back then? I would imagine newer steels would have a much lower risk to heat treatment from a dry stone

The same about stainless steel types used in the seventies. The basics of sharpening haven't changed since, the stones and steels have.

The same about stainless steel types used in the seventies. The basics of sharpening haven't changed since, the stones and steels have.
What is your take on the article? Especially about using the steel hone?

Back