Post your favorite Ukranian recipes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars

Founding Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be appropriate to make a thread celebrating Ukrainian food. Here is a recipe for Ukranian borscht.
IMG_3756.jpg

i'm doing this. i think i will do a good strong chicken broth, and add the veggies. i dont picture this soup with hunks of meat and bones, right?

i'm doing this. i think i will do a good strong chicken broth, and add the veggies. i dont picture this soup with hunks of meat and bones, right?
I would add the chicken meat, but either way would be yummy, I'm sure..

For anyone looking for a deeper dive into this cuisine, Olia Hercules is a great cook and a banging writer, her book is a love letter to the country and the cuisine. The title is a joke, it's not a Ukranian word at all, it's the dance Gomez and Fester do in the Addam's Family movie

https://oliahercules.com/books/mamushka/
and here's the recipe page from her site (Kuchmachi looks like just the ticket, my mom made something pretty similar, except Polish-Jewish) (Pilau Pie too!):

https://oliahercules.com/recipes/
1646309833715.png

Agreed, but in this case it is.. 🤷‍♂️
My wife uses canned peeled tomatoes. (Just a fyi, not implying anything about the above recipe. There are many variations in Eastern Europe.).

Last edited:
thanks for the Puree clarification. reading the recipe, it felt like what we call "paste". just wanted to make sure. the recipe verison called for a "tube" so i assumed it was paste.

i'll do this this weekend. as written and see how it plays out.

I must confess that I'm having a hard time celebrating Ukrainian recipes right now, which is not in any way critisizing anyone who does (I like the idea of the thread)!

It's more that it feels like avoiding the nuclear elephant in the room that is thrashing a porcelain store, or something along those lines, I feel more inclined to discuss options to cook up a batch of Novichok.

In a few days I'll try the Borscht recipe, likely trimming it down to a fourth of it's original volume as to not invite an army.

thanks Lars.

I never had it before, so I had no reference of the texture or thickness I was suppose to target. flavor wise, it is OFF THE HOOK!! I took some to my elderly neighbors and one lady gave me a tub of sour cream to run back thru to all my deliveries. again, thanks LARS. who knew? who knew you can burn thru a lot of BEETS on one dish.

beetsB.jpg

Obviously, Ukrainians and Russians share a lot of culinary heritage. They have all these salads that rely on you chopping your vegetables very precisely. Natasha is a pretty reliable source, here's her Olivier Salad, I actually prefer the Vinigrit, no mayo in that one.

https://natashaskitchen.com/olivye-ukrainian-potato-salad/
ps, boom, inspired choice of soup plate for that Borscht!

thanks Lars.

I never had it before, so I had no reference of the texture or thickness I was suppose to target. flavor wise, it is OFF THE HOOK!! I took some to my elderly neighbors and one lady gave me a tub of sour cream to run back thru to all my deliveries. again, thanks LARS. who knew? who knew you can burn thru a lot of BEETS on one dish.
You are very welcome, I'm happy you liked it..!

Actually it normally comes with hunks of beef. I've never heard of chicken used for borsch, but everyone seems to have their own recipes.

Pork would be used in my wife's neck of the woods. Or beef. Or chicken.

Just depends what's available. Beef wouldn't be often available

(But she uses chicken now ;) )

Last edited:
Back