Quest for the perfect in-hand paring knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread!

I've found similar with my Opinel inox paring knife (I think it's a smidge longer than yours). It's ok, but slightly disappointing when compared to how good the carbon pocket knives are. TBH if I needed a paring knife I'd be tempted to get a folding Carbone Opinel no. 6 or 7.

We tend to obsess about grinds here, but that's actually one of the easiest things to change about a knife.
Doesn't that depend on the grind? (Both the old one and the new one?)

I think your idea is right for small blades, maybe not always for larger ones.

Paring knives can for sure be very personal. At least you know what you are looking for. I like paring knives quite a bit. For your preferences I think that the LaSeur in a smaller size would fit the bill nicely. What do you think of that one from a design perspective?

56450CD9-A09B-42D7-A030-06CF8617CF64.jpeg
8301AEED-8E23-4E11-8F5A-791119E56078.jpeg

Edit: group pic left to right:

Sakai yusuke, LaSeur, Wustoff, Harner, Ealy, Marko, Rader

Last edited:
6CF70086-C24B-42BF-99EB-5F3523E80626.jpeg

I have been a damn fool... I ignored bird's beak paring knives for so long, using the logic of "they're too difficult to sharpen" as cover for my illogical dislike of their ugliness. I would have kept ignoring it if I hadn't needed to spend $10 to get free shipping. Turns out (ha!) they are the perfect in-hand paring knife - who knew? Well, the French for over a hundred years, but still.

The shorter length plus the angle of the blade makes it easier to reach the tip with your thumb. The narrowness of the tip plus the inward curve creates a much smoother cut when coring strawberries or eyeing potatoes. And the curved blade makes cutting stuff like cucumbers against your thumb so much better. Haven't tried peeling garlic or onions with it yet, but others praise it for those tasks too.

The blade is from the basic Opinel 114 model that I swapped with my favorite Parallele handle. I do think having some type of finger ridge helps give better control. And I actually like the ricasso, how it protects the handle from getting scuffed while sharpening. But it's a bit thick behind the edge and the steel is crummy... starting to feel like another Herder is in my future.

Now that I understand how useful it is the shape is starting to grow on me.

Since I've had this same reason to completely disregard all birdsbeak-knives, what IS the way to sharpen them? Is there any easy solution?

My first thought was 'this is just begging for a Massdrop', but the more I look into it, the more I realize that different people have diametrically opposed desires when it comes to paring knives. At this point I'm still trying to figure out my own way through this... and I'm starting to wonder if you might not want to split it up into more different knives. Specifically to get something really short just for coring stuff, at which point you gain a lot more flexibility on your 'second' in-hand knife when it comes to length / profile.

Since I've had this same reason to completely disregard all birdsbeak-knives, what IS the way to sharpen them? Is there any easy solution?

My first thought was 'this is just begging for a Massdrop', but the more I look into it, the more I realize that different people have diametrically opposed desires when it comes to paring knives. At this point I'm still trying to figure out my own way through this... and I'm starting to wonder if you might not want to split it up into more different knives. Specifically to get something really short just for coring stuff, at which point you gain a lot more flexibility on your 'second' in-hand knife when it comes to length / profile.

You can use the long edge "corner" of a stone.

Sandpaper around a dowel is also common.

Sandpaper on a dowel and stropping compounds are ways to get recurve-profiles 'sorta sharp', but they typically lack bite, and at some point these methods lose their ability to bring the edge fully back on their own.

Contouring the edge of one of your stones, taking edge trailing strokes, and then stropping with compounds works well. As do edge-leading strokes on round/oval ceramic/ruby/diamond-plated honing rods, India slipstones, scythe stones, and grooved sharpening steels, providing the blade is sufficiently thinned behind the edge that these can still generate a burr/cut in a new apex. You need something hard to set that bevel, and I've not found a way to deburr/sufficiently refine such weirdly shaped blades without compounds on contoured strops quickly/reliably. Edge-leading strokes on very large, very hard, very fine slip or scythe stones (Like Translucent Arkansas) can sometimes do the trick, but it's slow, fiddly, and not guaranteed to work on all steels. Stropping on compounds tends to be a more reliable finishing technique for these blades.

You can thin them using coarser sandpaper over a compressible backing, like a wet piece of t-shirt rag, around a dowel or - better yet - oval piece of moulding. This will convex the grind up to the apex. You'll then need to cut in a bevel using a harder stone/rod, before stropping it, to get the edge desired.

Thin with sandpaper on a contourable media, bevel set on an unforgiving media, refine/zero-convex the apex on a relatively fine sandpaper (1000-2000 grit) over a contourable base, and then strop on compound. Great edge. Skip that bevel setting phase on a hard rod/stone corner, and it won't be that sharp at the end.

Periodically sharpening the spine-side of the tip, to crisp it up, also helps tip penetration for birds-beak parers. Think of them like Karambits. Keep them almost zero-thinned like scythes, but with more attention to the tip. You need them thin.

That said, I still avoid birds-beak parers like the plague. They can work for some cutting techniques, but are so difficult and frustrating to maintain geometrically and just in terms of basic sharpness, whatever they can do that more conventional blade shapes cannot virtually isn't worth it to me.

If you do get one, get a Robert Herder.

Here are my paring knives in my knife blocks. I am trying to come around to the bottom one. I made my apple tart using it. I cut the apples in half and cored 5 apples for the tart. It seems long but I can choke up on it well. The top 3 are Wusthof Classic knives. The bottom 4 are Henckels with the top 3 4star and the bottom 1 is a 5star

IMG_0461.jpg

As much as I like Henx I could never warm to that handle shape. How's it fit in hand?
Those others look like they've seen a lot of work.

It looks funny so I have never used it much but lately I have been warming up to it. It seems comfortable the more I use it. It may be the blade shape.

For a paring knife the shape might work? My main complaint about paring knives in general is that I usually find the handles too anemic. Sure it might look prettier when the handles are more proportional, but it's not necessarily ergonomical when you don't have tiny girlyhands.

For a paring knife the shape might work? My main complaint about paring knives in general is that I usually find the handles too anemic. Sure it might look prettier when the handles are more proportional, but it's not necessarily ergonomical when you don't have tiny girlyhands.
I'm finding that of the 14 paring knives I just got that I prefer the smaller handle. And up by the neck/bolster(whether there is a bolster or not) I'm leaning towards a lower heel. I mean that the heel of the blade should stick out below (towards the board/thumb) the handle.

I recently made this paring knife as an experiment to see how we liked using it. My wife and I both really like how well it works for peeling different fruits and vegetables. I made this on a 10” contact wheel and ground it very thin at the edge. We also like the shape of the tip although I’d like to try some different shapes.

Attachments

• FFB58BFA-7A67-4FA7-9882-AFCEBF77B280.jpeg
    FFB58BFA-7A67-4FA7-9882-AFCEBF77B280.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 51733F99-6573-402F-9C8B-82F49BC50840.jpeg
    51733F99-6573-402F-9C8B-82F49BC50840.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 11B56A36-3434-4B70-82B5-E1D28A977047.jpeg
    11B56A36-3434-4B70-82B5-E1D28A977047.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 22
I'm finding that of the 14 paring knives I just got that I prefer the smaller handle. And up by the neck/bolster(whether there is a bolster or not) I'm leaning towards a lower heel. I mean that the heel of the blade should stick out below (towards the board/thumb) the handle.
I agree on the lower heel; makes sharpening so much easier. But I know there's plenty of people who fundamentally disagree with that... Just like on the hand size thing.

@gregfisk that thing looks awesome!

One up from the bottom on the left looks like it would fit comfortably for in-hand peeling of fruit.
That one was very weird to ID. I now think it's a Sabatier, an unmarked-at-all Sab, oyster knife. You can't see it from my one image but the handle is really thick. The blade is really pointy though, and sharpened on both sides no less! I do tend to like that spear/middle point for hand work.

19F40B46-0B03-4E7F-99C5-2CF1CA0ADE05.jpeg

Collection update. The more I use it the more I love the bird's beak for in-hand work. Still hate the way it looks on my knife rack next to all the 'normal' knives, but it's just too useful.

And coming to accept that I like having a second paring knife for board work too. It's nice to have something small I can use to mince garlic on the corner of a cluttered cutting board at the last minute. Leaning towards the bolstered Tojiro clone for its super flat edge.

B348F211-DC12-4EDE-80F4-1CD1F9CB08F1.png

From the video HumbleHomeCook posted in the Youtube AWESOME! thread. Looks like Jacques Pépin uses an Opinel bird's beak too.

Back