Recomendations on Gyuto 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamisato

Reaction score
Hi veryone!!!! :wink:

Im new on this forum , and I need the recomendations from you guys so i can do the best pick :happymug:

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Im interested on a Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
99% in a Wood handle and 1% on a Western Handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
10" or 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
For my jon pretty sure I do, but i wanna try high carbón Steel like Aogami Super

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Its kinda low -250$ max :whistling: to be honest in a hotel accidents happens, theaf happens and more things...and been a knife for work i will go with that amount

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
As a line cook nd sometimes banquet cook, actually i would be all kinda task and products- slicing meats,mincing chopping vegetables except the part of breaking bones

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not replacing but it would be comeplementing- currently i use a Wusthof Ikon Classic 8"and my loved Arcos Riviera 8"

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch Grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
In my daily day at least i use 4 of the 6,but i would say i use 6 of them

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Im looking for an Aogami Super , and a Wood handle preferences

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Octagonal Wood handle,

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
The most importantt thing for me that come to the top 1)Edge retention and 2)Food reléase ,after this two everything come secundary.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I would prefer the mid-max time that the knife can survive w

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
In hotels we only have synthetic cutting boards
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
A big yes, its the SPA day for my knifes!

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
More tan going out :running:

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes!!!

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I work in a large hotel ( 5 kitchen, Garmandeir and banquet kitchen, etc) so my enviorement its profesional and im looking for a Gyuto 240mm or 10" with a good edge retention and food reléase, im interested in Aogami Super for this caracteristics, but always I have had european knives I dont know nothing about japanese ones, thats why i need your help guys in getting a workhorse knife.

So far my two options are :
1) Moritaka Gyuto 240 AS. (one thing that worries me here its the rust - seen on CKTG-220$)
2) Kohetsu AS 240mm . (189$ also seen in CKTG)

*The problems with Korin, Japanesewood, etc are the knives on those pages are away more tan my Budget.

I was looking also and i found a Kikuichi Perfomance TKC (219$) it looks great knife but i would prefer a Wood handle.

´Saying all this i hope to get advices from you guys, i know isnt the best amount of money and most of the good knives are more tan 300$ i think we can find something according my necesities.

Thanks in advance!

PS.- The Kono Fukiyama White or blue its my weet dream!! :knife:

Given your location, anything ordered from a US vendor (including CKtG) will involve a heavy cost in shipping charges and import duties.

Have you browsed the knives available at Japanese Natural Stones? Located in the EU, you'd just get charged the VAT, and shipping is free if you meet a minimum amount. The Itinomonn line is one to look at. At the moment, the 240 mm kasumi wa-gyuto is out of stock, so I'd suggest asking Maksim when he expects new stock.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn/?sort=newest

Maksim also carries some excellent synthetic sharpening stones.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Rick

Welcome aboard! Stay away from the Moritaka as long as their vendor isn't able to adequately address the numerous overgrind issues.

^^ that word is like yelling shark at the beach or fire in a theatre:) That said, the AO series is supposed to have fewer problems than the blue steel. IMO, any maker that releases such nonsense is off my list permanently no matter the series, but some enjoy shooting craps. Best of luck in your search!

Welcome on board!

As already said - Itinomonn from Maksim would be my first guess. But do give Maksim a call (he seems to be under a lot of emails currently - so getting an answer may take a few days) and ask him for an advice.

JCK (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com) will ship anything for just $7 with DHL Express, but there will still be duties.

Also look at Yoshikane SKD (semi stainless steel) knives, although I am not sure there is a vendor in EU.

Should you be considering a used knife - then a WTB post in Classifieds could give you more options.

If you're concerned about edge retention, take a look at the semi stainless itinomonn.

Hiromoto AS would be a good call but they can come quite thick behind the edge and therefore need a fair amount of thinning. The geometry on itinomonn is better.

Think you'd be hard pushed to find a yoshikane skd for $250...

Given your location, anything ordered from a US vendor (including CKtG) will involve a heavy cost in shipping charges and import duties.

Have you browsed the knives available at Japanese Natural Stones? Located in the EU, you'd just get charged the VAT, and shipping is free if you meet a minimum amount. The Itinomonn line is one to look at. At the moment, the 240 mm kasumi wa-gyuto is out of stock, so I'd suggest asking Maksim when he expects new stock.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn/?sort=newest

Maksim also carries some excellent synthetic sharpening stones.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Rick

In so sorry i may confuse you guys, when I wrote Location EEUU I tried to say United Statesod America, actually i live in Florida, so sorry for this misunderstanding. ��

Rick[/QUOTE]

In so sorry i may confuse you guys, when I wrote Location EEUU I tried to say United Statesod America, actually i live in Florida, so sorry for this misunderstanding

^^ that word is like yelling shark at the beach or fire in a theatre:) That said, the AO series is supposed to have fewer problems than the blue steel. IMO, any maker that releases such nonsense is off my list permanently no matter the series, but some enjoy shooting craps. Best of luck in your search!

Uhmm ..to be honest I didn't understand you, when you said nonsense you mean by the brand or by the metal? If you are saying by the metal as far I read the Aogami Super its less reactive and doesn't get rust so easily like White or Blue , and I always reed good comments, but like I said owning only Germans knives I don't know anything about Japanese metals, if you
Would be so kind to explain me your comment I will be greatfull.

So, I was doing some research of Moritaka brand seller by CKTG, and it looks like has a lot of problems with the edge or the blade saying this its discard from my list.

So another knife that has this characteristics I will included another kind of metal besides the Aogami Super.

Thanks in advance!! And also for the answers so far

Ps.- I will say once again , I live in USA ;)

Back