Recommend A Killer Gyuto for My Most Intense Professional Job Yet!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey @Philly maybe we can get some Michelin recommendation ..!!
Absolutely with out a doubt..!! So as far as Michelin goes..!! East coast
Eleven Madison park 3 star
Danielle 2 star worked there in the 90,s
Perse 3 star New York
Washington DC inn at little Washington 3 stars hands down bar non one of my favorite restaurants..!! Have many friends who worked there ..!
Masa 3 star sushi amazing nyc..!
Florida just started and Joel Robison has a awesome place 2 stars
That’s my top favorite for east coast..! Oh yea Joel had a three star place in Vegas that’s hands down awesome..!! Gabby and I worked at Le Bec fin together..!! For years ..!! It’s called the Mansion 3 stars amazing..!!

Ok so now the west coast..!
I’m going out to see friends in January..!! I just made reservations
At ::
Crenn
Quince
Benu all are three stars San Francisco..! I will update my experience..! I know
French laundry is amazing bin twice worked at Le Bec fin with over a dozen guys from there ..!
I was there twice ..!! All off these are Michelin three star kitchen..!! Tasting menu only ..!! I can’t wait to see some good friends from the west coast..! We all started out in New York City together in the 90,s
I hopefully would recommend all of these guys and can tell you everything that they are doing is awesome..!!

So you hopefully know your new job better than me.
But I have staged and worked in Michelin Star places. A lot of them don't leave you the space for a 240. I like around 240s the most but in these places worked a 180mm usually. For Service I like a 210-230 Suji, low Gyutohiki the best.
Maybe get an AEB-L Jamison Chopp and an Ashi Ginga Petty/Suji
Awesome absolutely I agree depending upon if you are in the city this holds true 100% ..!! Countryside places are more spacious..!! As far as my line knives are concerning..!! Hands down bar none I’m a Takamura fan all the way ..! I have them all..!! Over 12 if I remember..!! Anyway you are absolutely right on..!! My Takamura 180mm is my go too knife for the line along with my 150mm petty and 120mm petty ..!! My one Sous chef calls them the hooker knife ..!! Lmao ..!! Because that’s all you can store when space is tight ..!!

I am not a professional so take everything here with that grain of salt; I contemplated not even replying but I think these pics might help since you like to rock, and these knives have a little more belly that makes them very comfortable for that.

Makoto Kurosaki "Ryusei" VG7 steel. Fully stainless, mine is a 210, I've honestly contemplated buying the 240 too. Excellent rocker, slicey and fun, struggles on butternut squash with stiction but is great on everything else I've thrown at it, onions, potatoes, chiffonade herbs, and its a good meat slicer. VG7 is quite a tough steel and I've been impressed with edge retention, particularly because it's my wife's favorite too and she's...harder than I am on knives. Not a laser, light-midweight category, thin behind the edge but not delicate at all. Flows over board instead of biting in to it.
View attachment 214566

On board, raised heel makes it feel really fluid
View attachment 214567

Next we have the Shigeki Tanaka Ginsan 240. It feel pretty similar to the Makoto Ryusei though f&f isn't as good. 10 minutes of sandpaper on the choil and spine fixed everything though. Ginsan/silver 3/ginsanko is easy to sharpen to a nice edge with good edge retention. Great for potatoes, butternut squash champion, onions, scallions, and is my favorite garlic mincer. Only thing it leaves to be desired is very very fine shallot work on tip.

View attachment 214568
Flat resting on heel
View attachment 214569

Lastly is the Munetoshi 240 in shirogami #2. It's not very reactive, I set a steak patina at first and then it's basically held that with no intrusion from any acidic ingredients. There's more variability to Munetoshi's stuff, I seemed to have gotten a great one. I really love the profile and despite its heft and thickness in a choil shot, it outperforms the Makoto and Tanaka on fine tip work. It has excelled with every ingredient I've thrown at it: meat, onions, shallots, potatoes, squash, and garlic. I really dig this knife. Excellent bang for buck, needed spine and choil rounding. Other members here have commented on how tough his knives are, though I can't speak personally on that.

View attachment 214570
View attachment 214571

I hope this helped some. All of these knives are good for rocking or push/pull cutting, I don't vertically chop so can't speak to that.
I can vouch for the Makoto Ryusei. I own the 210mm Gyuto and It has been my main knife for more than 6 months. It pretty much works great on anything with different cutting techniques. It holds a good working edge for quite sometime, it is quite fast to sharpen also. Time and effectiveness are paramount, this knife certainly delivers. The only con I have for it is that the spine is not rounded. Hence why some of my prior recommendations.

For the record, I'm the head Chef of the top Mexican Restaurant in Stockholm. So I do use it in a professional environment.

I’m not sure where you are in your decision making process, but I would like to offer my 2 cents. It’s not a sexy answer, but I highly recommend you focus on building a set over spending a lot on one knife. I would take 2 weeks to work the job and see what knives and tools will benefit you. “Right tool for the right job” is what I was taught when I started, and that approach has worked very well for me. It’s not sexy, but it’s successful.

That said, I’d shop by steel over brands. My daily driver is Sg2/R2 (shiro kamo) and I couldn’t be happier with it. It’s taller, good flat spot but still rocks, solid taper and good edge retention. Unless you’re shopping fish knives, I’d stick to stainless. You’ll have enough to worry about besides wiping your knife after every use.

Good luck in your new job. Stay focused and you’ll do great.

Some knives are just a joy to cut with. Carbon can be touched up in seconds on a portable s&g stone like shapton. pro.

For fine cuts you want a thin behind the edge blade that falls through food. For tougher jobs you need a beater knife. If you go stainless get the good stuff that can cost more.

Even my beater knives at work were carbon steel. Cooks were always borrowing my knives because kept them very sharp. When fine dining upstairs ran out of fish butcher shop next to my station. Find my knives on table after rushing to cut fish.

Wiping down carbons all the time is BS. I would let them patina. Of coarse at end of shift would wash with warm soapy water & dry completely would save a dry towel for this. Using carbons for home use is more work to keep from rusting lack of attention & use. Cutting with them 8 hours a day carbons are in their element. Guys who clean fish in Chinatown use sharp carbons. You don't see too many stainless in fish markets in Japan either. My yanagiba only cut fish with seafood less reaction so didn't have to polish them often unlike my gyuto & carbon cleavers, kept my yanagiba no patina.

San Mai stainless clad carbon core has gotten very popular. Only the.edge will patina & since sharpened much more than home use that edge patina is removed often. Esp. if you thin behind the edge when sharpen shallow angle spine close to the stone.

Didn't care what knives looked like in high production kitchen just that they were sharp & we're good cutters.

Think about it all the great knives bought on this forum. Your favorite that is a joy to cut with. Now think about cutting for hours a day. You want the best damn cutter for the job you can afford. When it wears down buy another one.

Back